don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) xbox 360 Review Disk

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by N!NJA, Jan 27, 2016.

1. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!
    I'll try to make this quick as it's just going Midnight in the UK and I need to be up early.

I recently bought a review copy of Sonic 06 for the 360, It's a press review disk and it was sold as not booting correctly, I have managed to dump around 1 layer of the disk but sadly the second appears to be bad, this might be disk rot or possibly overwritten data I am not sure.

What I do know is,

The disk is dated October 2006. (1 month before release.)
    It didn't boot before being sold to me.
    The disks on a Philips DVD+R DL and shows as a Ritek D01 in the dumping tool.
    The disk while it has minor marks it's mint compared to some disks I've seen.

I can dump around 3.66GB before the dumping tool gives errors, I can extract around 1.26GB of data from the created .iso but the rest sadly isn't extracting, The data that I have managed to extract is mostly models. (.arc files)

I've tried multiple ways getting this data including the ripping tool. (dvdisaster) I've tried isoextract but it's only finding around 1000 files in the iso.

Does anybody have any other ideas? I've tried ripping it with my laptop's blu ray drive, I don't have a desktop currently as I hate them but I have parts I can make one with if needed. If I went down this road what drive would you recommend to try ripping this with?

Also some pics of the disk/data (The first image can be expanded by clicking),

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

File list/sizes of the win32/archives folder I managed to dump,

FORMAT: Today's date/time/filesize/filename

Sorry for making this post rushed, I'm half awake, I will be out tomorrow also so my replies will be delayed but I'll try to reply to any questions I can.

Thanks for any help in advanced!

EDIT: Didn't quite get to sleep yet, Reading the .iso in notepad++ does show some .wmv and .xma files so hopefully there is more yet.

EDIT 2: Download links!

https://mega.nz/#!ipkEkQaD!Ie1Y-tj8tl9Xb5RpfrVtrsCMLZyPd4GiyahamV0mUMA (Chunk 1)
    https://mega.nz/#!K4EGECCC!62TvZQRUyz92Pzh2zwdDIYcsO0pV8eo3Itgs2_yaBU0 (Chunk 2)
    https://mega.nz/#!aw9kiBiS!xpyNJmQM6eLTY49wwnwRq-il1ylkoKlS6PQgVYYajtc (Chunk 3)
    https://mega.nz/#!S80HWbhY!S1lhLEG1XYvVsop9X4m4uYZhcZIRh1UpuvO2iNpf4wk (Chunk 4)

To combine the files/chunks use http://www.filesplitter.org/ (http://www.filesplitter.org/Free-File-Splitter-v5.0.1189.exe) Click join files, Select "Sonic 06 (360 Review) Extracted Data.rar.chunk001" and under destination file put "Sonic 06 (360 Review) Extracted Data.rar" you should then be able to extract the files I managed to save. Mega was a right pain to upload to but these files should extract fine, If you have any issues please reply and I'll try uploading again. At some stage I'll upload the .iso we managed to extract but please remember it's not full.

If you wish to try this you will need a devkit and you will need to replace the missing files with one's from a retail copy, I won't supply these so don't ask.

DRX has reached out but he appears to be busy but if we manage to save anymore data I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Also please check post #9 as it has one little find regarding the title screen in this review.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    "Sector 4173822: Illegal Request: Logical block address out of range" - that's unusual, given that it lists the disc as being 4,173,823 sectors.

You might want to try using the "swap trick" if possible. This requires a disassembled desktop DVD-ROM drive and a fully-burned 8.5 GB DL disc. What you do is put the DL disc in normally, wait for the drive to recognize it, and then spin down when idling; then swap the discs.

Can you post the Verify output from ImgBurn?

3. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Considering that it's a DVD+R DL, I can't see how doing a back-up using any DVD±RW Dual Layer couldn't work.

I would have suggested using a Samsung SH-D162D with the Kreon firmware and Xbox Backup Creator program if was an issue with the drive and/or software (it's what I used back when I was ripping Xbox 360 promotional discs; whether that's still a valid way of backing Xbox 360 games). However, I don't think it could work with this being an actual DVD+R DL disc.

See what everyone else reckons.

4. Have you tried ripping the disc directly through the 360? I know you mention that it's unable to boot but if any drive should be able to read the contents it's that one... There's also a Samsung OEM DVD drive that used to be recommended for ripping 360 games but if the disc itself is damaged or the burn is bad we're SOL regardless.

5. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    This tool was flagged by both my Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware programs due to the 3rd party bloatware so I couldn't try it sadly. I'll keep my mind open about the disk swap trick, thank you.

EDIT: I found an older version of imgburn without the 3rd party rubbish, Sadly when I try to rip the image it says there's no disk in the drive. (Windows sort of does also in the form of crashing.)

I'll see if I can find one of those Samsung drive's just to be safe thanks.

Fool that I am I gave my 360/ps3 away around a month ago before I even knew about this disk. I happen to have two broken 360's (both RROD.)

Just before I shutdown last night I did look at the raw data of the .iso and it appears there's is still ton's of data but at this stage I have no clue if it can be recovered.

[​IMG]
    (Click to expand.)

EDIT2: Had a little time while sitting around and booted up the laptop, I have also managed to extract some .xma (sound files) around 390MB worth so I've managed to get around 1.5GB saved.

Would it be possible for someone with an extracted retail ISO to get me a list of all files with sizes and time stamps please?

EDIT 3: At 3am lol. I've managed to extract 3.36GB from the ISO now. The files are .wmv/.xma/.arc files and are dated 22/10/2006. There does appear to be sound files and files from archives folder but this is showing corrupted sadly. I'll try to keep notes here with any new updates.

6. I'm not sure if anyone else here does but I have a 360 capable of running non-retail code. If you run out of options and you're at the point where you're just going to ditch the disc, would you consider shipping it to me? I'd like to try ripping it with my RGBed 360. I can cover shipping expenses and all that but I'm not in a position to offer money at the moment and will gladly ship back afterwards. In the Chicago area FYI.

7. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    I already have a part dump of the data that works but it appears retail at this stage. I messaged DRX last week and was going to see if he had any ideas, If he doesn't get back I'll get back to you thanks as I also have someone with an XDK willing to try, At this stage I'm not sure what the outcome will be. I think it might be lost sadly but I'll keep trying and will keep you guys informed.

Thanks

8. Doctor Butler

Doctor Butler

Are you trying to boot it on a consumer 360?

Maybe it was made to run on a dev-kit.

9. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    It was tried on a dev kit first, But even then it wouldn't boot due to this bad 2nd layer.

We got it sort of working by replacing the missing files with retail ones but so far it appears the same as the final version sadly.

EDIT: I'm working on uploading the .iso (which is from the bad disk so doesn't mount proper. but data can be extracted.) And finally some more info can be found below.

(Click the image to see full version.)
    [​IMG]
    The review .xex and retail .xex compared. If you notice there's only around 10 hours time difference between the review and retail.

Even with the broken files me and PixelButts from another site found the title screen has 1 difference. Lets see if you can spot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nyBENf2qf8

The first part is the retail PS3 title, Then retail 360 and finally the review title screen.

10. Sonic Team had to take their name off the final product.

11. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Exactly haha, The Sonic Team logo (1 minute 1 second) seems to have been removed from the final.

Not sure where the logo would be in the files as I sadly can't try it myself lacking a dev kit. If anybody know's where it's stored please reply.

I shall try getting the files uploaded tomorrow, I'll start with the extracted files (Around 3.4GB) but this will take awhile as my uploads capped at 100kbs. :(

12. If we're looking at such a close build, all the assets are sure to be final. I'd be curious if there are more debug options and stuff so reviewers could skip sections. Any chance you could upload just the executable individually?

13. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.

Lucky, You caught me just before I went to sleep.

Link to the .xex > https://mega.nz/#!b0E3GKRK!nL_o_AQ9kuTUtvWraCjNzXzOBxo-CRbvQKw10NeE6Os

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Curious how the PS3 screen has Start BUTTON on the onscreen text, as opposed to the 360 one. Never knew that.

15. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    I never spotted that also haha, The Sonic Team logo caught me more.

Update on the upload, I spent 12 hours uploading last night and mega decided to die at 92%! talk about annoyed.

Today I'm going to split the archive into smaller 1GB chunks (making sure it combines correctly after.) Then upload those to mega.

Sorry for the delay all.

EDIT: Links added to first post!

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Outta curiosity, did you ever try doing a difference match between the files you did manage to extract from the disc and what's in the final release?

Considering the final was compiled hours after the review copy, I do wonder what was taken in/out/patched other than Sonic Team shamefully un-signing their work. Doubt it'd be much and if there were any patch differences it'd just be a bunch of jargon with the executable file, but still.

17. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

C:\Windows\System32
    Finding the Sonic 2006 E3 demo (not much though)
    Hm, I noticed that as well! Funny enough, I was about to buy a review copy as well! .

18. urlogic

urlogic

I know this is an old topic, but I don't know what to do other than post here. I'd like to give this review copy a try, but I don't know what files it's missing. Could someone tell me exactly what I need to add from the retail disk? Thanks.

19. If the only folder that was dumped was the win32 folder, then half the game is essentially missing. The xenon folder is the one that contains all of the values, while the win32 folder is the one that contains models/sounds/textures.

On a side note, I own a RGH 360, so...if anyone wants to ship it to me to dump it :u

Edit: So, looking at the files here, pretty much everything in the xenon folder is missing. That's important stuff.