don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Return to Westside Island

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by D.A. Garden, Oct 29, 2020.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone. Here's a quote from the Sonic Hacking Contest entry page:
    Content Entry Link (and Download): https://sonichacking.org/entries/contest2020/178

I've decided to make this thread to allow more open discussion on the project, and to also give you all a few updates:

I have decided that once the contest is over, I will release an updated version (1.1) to fix the issue with the Final Boss not working for most people (my apologies for that) and a few issues with path swappers and loops not being placed correctly in a few places. This will be the only revision to the project, as I still have no interest in continuing it further, but I wanted to at least fix these very easy to resolve issues, and ensure that this revision is kept separate from the contest entry.

I will also be releasing the source code at that time. All code changes are typically commented with my username, and you can see all of the changes that were made in order to make this project possible. You may also find some leftovers of some other things, too.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I haven't really had a chance to tear into anything from the Hacking Contest yet, but this is at the top of my list. Reminds me of the good old days when Sonic 2 palette/level layout hacks were pretty much all that was happening. You know I dug your 3K hack, so I'm really gonna enjoy this.

3. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    This is really interesting and cool for something as simple as a level layout + palette hack. I love it, it feels fresh although it doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the table.

4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    As I said before, here is version 1.1 of Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Return to Westside Island:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tbvai8qdm5by1z/Sonic 2 - Return to Westside Island v1.1.bin?dl=0

This fixes a crash on the last boss, a few path swappers issues in both Emerald Hill and Hill Top, and an issue with a lava pool in Metropolis. Thanks to everyone who provided me with details of these issues, so I could resolve them in time for this release. As I have stated before though, there will not be any further releases at this point.

Also, as promised, here's the source code for this ROM hack:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e2dsoyv43fi15p/S2RTWI 1.1 (2020-11-01).rar?dl=0

If anyone wants to use anything from this project for themselves, feel free to do so (all I ask is that you credit me). And for those who are interested, there a few other things in there that you may find, if you go delving in the right place.

Finally, a big thanks to everyone who provided me with feedback and support throughout the contest week. I really do appreciate it. Here's to the next project...

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think you have a good approach to level layouts. You keep the fluidity of Sonic 2, with few dead ends and loads of alternate routes. I could argue sometimes this make things a bit too easy in a way, that maybe there should be more punishment for not reaching a platform and staying higher up like more obstacles and enemies on the lower path, but I can't really knock how well the levels flow.

I feel you could work wonders structuring levels for a project with new art and gimmicks.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Nice work :)

Here is a complete playthrough.