don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Long Version

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mobiethian, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I enjoy this game. Playing all of the zones including those that have disappeared into a dark mystery. Let's talk about it, I have a lot of unanswered questions.

2. Umm...what? Yes, it was fun but...why make a topic about it? If you have any questions you could just PM the maker...no need for a topic

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Too bad that isn't for you to decide! :eng101:

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I happen to enjoy this one a fair bit but I haven't played a lot of hacks in a while. Anyone know if there is still work being done on this one?

This is probably one of the better hacks out there that doesn't alter the original levels, though this is at least partly because the new content is really cool. I only wish that a bit more was done than just re-create the mock-ups as taken from Sonic 2 Delta.

I had been hearing some good stuff about progress for a while, too.

5. M0437

M0437

Some of the level design is a little odd in my opinion. Also, they based Genocide City off the hoax concept image and not an actual concept image like was used in the design on Sonic 2 Delta's Genocide City.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    What are you talking about? Genocide City in Sonic 2 Delta was just a recolored Chemical Plant Zone. Not only that, but it was made before the concept image got released! The GCZ in Long Version is completely custom, however, based off no concept image at all. It's not at all like the level was intended to be, but I find it to be an interesting level nonetheless.

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Sonic 2 Long Version... One of the first hacks I truly respected for it's ingenious decisions in level design. I loved Dust Hill's crazy layout and the Genocide City concept was just like I expected it to look. Plus the fact that there is also a Knuckles in Sonic 2 Long Version. That was impressive. Sonic Hachelle-Bee really did go all out when making this.

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Dust Hill Zone

fkljabfjkafvjk
    ABfklah
    agfasyuvgfas
    hvabdjbf
    gajsgfauk
    WHY!

That layout is confusing as balls. I had Super Sonic and time over'd...TWICE X_X

Other than that, the hack is awesome. I'm always playing it with the S2Mp3 player and the S2HD tracks. It's pretty kickin.

Though HPZ makes me wish I didn't always get all my emeralds in EHZ. I want to listen to the music, and I'm practically super as soon as the zone starts XD

9. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Is the graphics for Genocide City custom made or did they come from somewhere else?

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    It was a fun hack in it's time. Now that we know more about the cut levels we really need a new version, or a hack similar to it. We now know what Gencide city looks like, and even it's level design. Same with Hidden Palace Zone, which should only be 1 act.

Also, lets not forget about Sonic 2 Delta which has an additional cut level.

11. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I still find this the very best finished hack to date. Nothing else equals it.
    S2Delta still has the irritating vram Gens bug.
    But there are a few hacks in the works that will seriously surpass it. That is if they get finished and released.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What impresses me most about the quality of the hack is just how little was done with external utilities, since it was done on a Mac.

13. I think Sonic 2 Long Version was the almost perfect Sonic 2. Almost, because I still think they should've done something with those water slides in HPZ *Shot*

Neh, I think it's perfect. Favorite part was the end of Dust Hill 2, very original.

14. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I always use to have to skip Dust Hill Act 1 by using Level Select because I couldn't find my way out. =P I got it now, though.

I also like how he made Death Egg have 3 acts, though the first two are Chemical Plant(though I remember him saying he would make a custom layout for it).

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I loved the hack. Except Dust Hill. Seriously, what? The layout was bad.

:eng101:

Genocide City was something everyone could praise. Very original.

16. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I found the Dust Hill layout to be awesome. I suppose I like these kind of puzzles. :\

17. I recall playing a hack that had switches and raising sand in dust hill....it was a long time ago so I don't remember where I got it... I found Sonic 2: Long version to be fun, but what would have made it perfect is new bosses =P

18. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Almost perfect it is, but not perfect.
    The tiles (or are that sprites?) in the Death Egg zones 1 & 2 that you have to remove before getting into the tubes appear to be broken.
    But that's just nitpicking really since otherwise it's a fantastic hack.

19. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I think it's because he didn't get the object graphics to load in DEZ. I could be wrong though.

Oh, and they are objects.

20. M0437

M0437

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.