don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This is what I meant, yes. Don't be a smartarse, Sid. =P

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    On another forum we had an avatar bet going over whether the Sonic movie would end up outgrossing Detective Pikachu (US box office only, DP won handily internationally). The Sonic side was feeling pretty high and mighty after the first few weeks, but the theatre shutdowns made it a surprising photo finish. Probably would have earned another $10-15m (and maybe beaten Pikachu worldwide) if not for COVID effectively ending the box office.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    But it's fun!

Anyway, I've been assuming that Colleen will NOT voice Tails in the sequel. I kinda figured they just didn't want to audition people for 2 sentences in the post-credits scene, and would put it off for the sequel, like how...that one guy whose name I forget played Thanos in the Avengers before Josh Brolin got the role proper in Guardians of the Galaxy. No actual proof behind this, and I would be fine with her in it, but if they really wanted to use the existing voice talent, they probably would've gotten RCS for Sonic, like Wreck-It Ralph did.

4. Fadaway

Fadaway

There's no praise coming from me. I'm reiterating things that have been said here and there. It was successful. Thanks pandemic. But, I have my own complaints about this film itself. I am happy it put Sonic back in the collective consciousness to some degree. I know a lot of people who actually really loved it. I give it credit for at least redesigning Sonic. I could do a whole review of this film but I'm not gonna. I'm not a fan of “take fictional franchise character and put it in the middle of small-town America” gimmick. That's so lame imo.

5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I have no idea how it's taken me this long to make the connection that we now have Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik; the same Jim Carrey who sang a cover of The Beatles' I Am The Walrus in 1998, a song famously featuring the lyric "I am the egg man... they are the egg men..."

...If they can't somehow work a scene of Robotnik dancing to this into the movie, I'll be disappointed, haha. XD

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I don't know how either, considering a certain someone's Flash animation. =P

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Which flash animation, if I may ask?

8. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

For the price of licensing a Beatles song for one scene you could afford a whole extra action sequence...

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  9. Fadaway

Fadaway

I was hoping it'd be in the first film but knew they'd not bother getting that sorted out legally and financially.

However, it does have some hilarious and occasionally apt lyrics for a Sonic 2-themed film. Well, some of the lyrics. The legend goes that John was trying to write a nonsense-type song, inspired by Bob Dylan's lyrics.

“See how they Run like pigs from a gun
    See how they Fly”

“Corporation T-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday” (2sday)

“Mister City policeman sitting
    Pretty little policemen in a row
    See how they Fly like Lucy in the sky, see how they Run”

“I am the Eggman”

10. Fadaway

Fadaway

Considering it is set (at the moment) to come out in 2022, the same year the CG Mario film is also set to release in, I'm hoping they go all out. It does have Emerald Hill's music in the teaser. That gives me some hope. Maybe the Death Egg will make an appearance, but it'd be introduced in some way like someone saying, “Didn't Star Wars already do that?” and then an awkward silence and Jim Carrey saying something sarcastic. I can dream. But, it would be pretty funny to see. Get Disney on the phone!

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Agreed!!

I’m going to be one happy almost 36 year old when this comes out.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I see what you did there haha

13. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Sonic referenced Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first movie, so there's clearly already precedent for it!

14. cyn

cyn

I'm praying they go all out too, the first movie showed that they could have some fun action pieces so maybe they can crank it all the way to 11 for the sequel.
    The Death Egg is the perfect choice for something super over the top.

15. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. One of my biggest hopes for the sequel is that it maintains the tight focus of the first; often times sequels either try too hard to be different and end up losing it, or they don't do enough and it feels derivative of the original.

If they can focus on the dynamic of Sonic & Tails and establishing that, and maybe give a new co-villain for them to fight along with Robotnik then I'll be satisfied.

Tom isn't going to be removed from the film, so I just hope that he plays a mostly supporting role to whatever Sonic & Tails are doing. I don't want him completely uninvolved, because he IS an established part of the mythos whether I like it or not

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Quite a bit more, since it effectively missed out on the Chinese market almost entirely. Apparently, it opened at $1.27M in China when it finally released there in July, eventually only making a little under $3M there. By comparison, Detective Pikachu raked in $93M in China; it is very possible that Sonic missed out on $100M due to COVID, which is obviously very unfortunate. I'm glad that the movie was still financially successful despite that!

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
  20. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US