ASM Sonic the Fighters - Disassembly (and discoveries from it)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by biggestsonicfan, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Huh. A quick glance in-game reveal slight differences in the credits that are displayed:
    - "D.S.P. Programmer Katsunori Itai" and Sound Designer "Takenobu Mitsuyoshi" are skipped over; their names are listed in Special Thanks.
    - Also in Special Thanks are Goho Ogura, Syuji Takahashi and Susumu Takatsuka.

...Or is that the point? I could very well have missed something.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Formerly Sonic the Fighters
    While that is the point when I said the data is manipulated into what ends up finally being displayed, it concerns me that I didn't see a texture for those last 3 names listed... I'm gonna have to investigate this...

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    I haven't fully analyzed the credits yet but I found unused content meant for the attract mode.

Looks like there might have been alternate "subtitle" text in the Sonic the Fighters attract mode. Normally there are subtitles in Japanese text for the scrolling English words. If the game is set to the USA region, nothing appears there. That may not have always been the case.

sfight045.png

It should be noted that the text isn't centered properly because I had to adjust the coordinates myself.

There is also an unused scrolling text ala REVENGE OF DR. ROBOTONIC that says: WHO WILL CHALLENGE "DEATH EGGII"?
    001.png 002.png 003.png

However I can't really implement it in the game because the text spans 3 textures, and all other areas which the scrolling text is used only spans 2 textures.

More unused attract mode stuff will be posted as I make it clearly visible.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Who will challenge death?

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Beta Bork (sort of):
    sfight073.png sfight074.png sfight075.png

Bark apparently went threw a few iterations. The oldest of which use the very, very light tone. This head uses a slightly darker tone, but has his hair tucked under his cap. This unused wincing face (aside from his squished head) is the only one like this. Then you can see his spiky hair (from final Bark) which is the darkest of the 3 different tones.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. SanicDerpy

SanicDerpy

???
    SMPS2MID & MID2SMPS Conversions and learning to draw.
    Interesting discovery so far! Btw (not to be political) your post says "Bork" like from the Swedish Chef not "Bark" as in you know the polar bear.

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    I know I am just being silly.

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    So remember this? Yeah, well, the game actually never calls this array or the routine that uses it. It's literally an unused credit sequence. If I figure out how to activate it I will record it, but in the mean time, I need to understand how the credits that do get displayed actually activate in the game's code :british:

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Because I have nothing else to do in life, have some restored code that was previously unrefrenced!
    sfight079.png sfight080.png

Restored code on the left, what it looks like normally on the right.

It looks like Ranking data originally just displayed how many times a character beat the game without anything else. I had to fudge with the "RANK TIME NAME CHARACTER" texture to remove it to get this to display properly, else the text was displaying inside the texture which didn't look very nice. You can kind of see where "SONIC" and "FANG" are eating into the RANKING texture itself.