don't click here

Sonic the comic, the game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by acidrainbows, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acidrainbows

acidrainbows

Sonic The Hedgehog 2: Spick-and-Span
    Have any of you ever read some of the really cool issues of the Sonic comics? If you have then you'd probably agree that Sonic and his crew are different from comic to comic, but also different from the Sonic we see in the games. Do any of you think it would be cool for Sega or Sonic Team or whoever to make a Sonic game where Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, everyone, can do the stuff they can do in the comics?

Like for example, I'd love to play a Sonic game where you can select Knuckles as a character and one of his boss battles is Chaos Knuckles vs Mammoth Mogul, or a Sonic game where there is no final mech to face, but instead you have to race around the world as Ultra Sonic to stop a laser that will destroy the planet. There is a bunch more amazing stuff that happens in the comics, but you get the idea. Seriously though, wouldn't a game where everyone can do what they do in the comics be beast? Let me know what you think.

2. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Hmm. "[Game]: The [non-game], the game". It's usually a totally bad/ass (delete as appropriate) idea. Proof below.

[​IMG]

3. There's an "Ultra Sonic" in the comics? Huh. I see where you're going. After all Sally, Rotor, Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts did appear in Sonic Spinball. If they could do that for an obscure HANDHELD game in that day and age, I'm sure they could do just that right now.

Besides, I want to see Mephiles' ear eat cookies again!

Oh, wait... that was Off Panel...

4. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I dunno...

I guess if you wanted to, you could make it a spin-off series like Mega Man X, but I think Sega believes it's fans are too retarded to distinguish two different things.

Personally, though, I'm beginning to loathe the "SatAM-verse" as a whole, so were it up to me, I'd just say no.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Hacking Sonic Drift, Writer at Sonic Cage Dome
    So you mean something similar to what Sonic-16 might have been, except more based off the comics rather than the cartoon? I dunno, to tell you the truth the game probably would have bombed, same with Sonic 16. (Assuming if they ever had some sort of concept for a game based off the comics like you stated, of course we know they never did.) There's already enough characters in the gaming franchise, I don't think they need to bring characters from the comics into the gaming world, because then they'll have too many characters. (They already have too many IMO.)

6. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Sonic Spinball was totally on the Genesis as well.

That said, I would love to see Sonic vs. Shadow vs. Silver vs. Rob o' the Hedge vs. Scourge in a video game. Hell, seeing Scourge in a video game would be awesome to me, despite the fact that he's "just another Sonic recolor," because I don't see him as that. Scourge brought some heavy-duty hell to Sonic's life.

I don't think the problem is too many characters so much as Sega gets half-assed with the characters after a certain point. It's like as soon as a character runs their course, they instantly become doomed to mediocrity, turn into something they shouldn't be, or forgotten altogether. So coming from Sega, I can understand the concern with making a game with soooo many characters in it.

7. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    If this game was to exist, it should be a fighting game with a story mode : the number of characters would become an advantage. Except if the moves are the same for all the characters and if the sprites are the same style as the "normal" Sonic games' one...

An interesting idea for the Mugen users.

8. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    When I saw this topics title, I thought this was going to be about a Fleetway game, and then I thought 'How awesome would it be to play as Fleetway Super Sonic, in the height of a destructive rampage?'.

On topic - I think Sega should focus on cleaning up the mess the current franchise is in before they even think about making a non-Segasonic game.

If they did make said game however, no doubt it'd split the fanbase even more than it already is.

9. acidrainbows

acidrainbows

Sonic The Hedgehog 2: Spick-and-Span
    There wouldn't really be so many characters. New to a game, yeah, but not new in general. I don't mean a game that spans across the whole comic series I mean like one game, or two, about a part of it. Like for example a game with Scourge. It would just cover the events of all that happened with him. He's Sonic's anti, basically, and he royally f*cked Sonic up, a few times.

There wouldn't be any of him dying and coming back as an android, only for it to not be an android, but the real one that fell through the atmosphere, *cough, like Shadow, cough*. Only one game with a good character from the comics with all their drama/powers/whatever was in the comics with them. Not three or four games, a solo spin-off, and a puzzle game. Just one or two, that way there is no way to play the character(or characters if its like Sonic Adventure)out.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Actually, that was a Fan Funny, not an Off-Panel.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    A Sonic the Comic game? Yes. An Archie Sonic game? Never.

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I actually would like both an STC and Archie game made, myself. Just as long as the Archie game doesn't change artists every three minutes.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Hey, StC had the same deal going, IIRC. Granted, most of its artists were very good... except Mick McMahon; I still don't care for his more abstract artwork, and the man can't draw a furry to save his life (no, putting an arbitrary animal head on the same knobby-elbowed/kneed bloke's body does not count as a furry, Mr. McMahon).

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    One based on Archie? Could be done, but only if you retool the entire set of main characters to make it where Sonic and Robotnik stand out the most (you know, like every other Sonic series that wasn't Archie or SatAM); and incorporate game elements that create familiarity in the environments.

One based on StC? Wouldn't that basically be the Genesis games and SA1 but with extra characters and a Silver-Age-styled superhero backstory for Sonic and Robotnik? :psyduck:

15. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covbMBGG_1Q

Something I was working on a few years back. A game based on Sonic the Comic, fleetway.

The original plan was to make a Sonic Adventure style game, cut scenes, hubs and action parts. Finishing a level would unlock the comic corresponding to the level you'd just played.

Anyway I had a full movement, lighting and attack engine working with a good solid camera (video has low FPS so looks bad).

The sonic model was supplied from someone in SonicFGHQ the trooper model (which STC fans will recognise) was made by me.

Long story short, I started working for Apple, switched to a Mac and forgot all about it. I still have the source code somewhere.

16. Not sure if serious.

On topic: A game based on the comics would be interesting, but how viable they would be is debatable at best.

17. Impish

Impish

how about Crisis on Infinite Earths Sonic style? If done as a game, it could be a way of simplifying the universe to combine the best aspects of the different sonic universes.
    For those unfamiliar in 1986(?) COIE took the hundreds of different dc universes, retconned most of them out of existance, and copied any important aspects of them onto the mainstream universe, creating the main DC Universe as we know it today, bar the 52 universes made in 2006.

18. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Why don't you think I'm being serious lol?

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Personally, I think a good route to go, were it to be a commercial endeavor by Sega, would be:

A series of episodic games released via Steam, XBLA, PSN, and Wiiware. It could be called "Sonic The Comic: The Game" or something, and each episode could be a retelling of the first X number of issues.

If it were the fan-game route, I honestly don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.