don't click here

Sonic Spinball now available for iPhone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    For those interested, it's on the App Store for $2.99. I haven't purchased it, so I don't know how well it <strike>plays/sounds/looks/etc</strike> emulates. :v:

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn it Sega. I want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my ipod.

Why does every other Sonic game seem to get precedence to S3K and Sonic CD? I don't really want to play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean machine thanks.

3. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=538956:date=Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538956">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it Sega. I want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my ipod.

Why does every other Sonic game seem to get precedence to S3K and Sonic CD? I don't really want to play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean machine thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey next time one of your guys talks to a SEGA employee, can you inform them that Android exists? Thanks!

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

bed 'n' breakfast Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    Wiki and Minnie's Runaway Railway
    <!--quoteo(post=538956:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:17 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 16 2010, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538956">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it Sega. I want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my ipod.

Why does every other Sonic game seem to get precedence to S3K and Sonic CD? I don't really want to play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean machine thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because Sonic 3 & Knuckles requires extra effort and Sonic CD is a Mega CD game... which will require even more effort.

If they've got a Mega Drive emulator they're going to want to use it as much as possible, and unfortunately that means flogging all their usual titles for every system under the sun.

<!--quoteo(post=538960:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:29 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Dec 16 2010, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538960">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=538956:date=Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538956">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it Sega. I want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my ipod.

Hey next time one of your guys talks to a SEGA employee, can you inform them that Android exists? Thanks!
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have Sonic 3 running on Gensoid, the Mega Drive emulator for Android. It was freely available via the Android store. Chances are it's more accurate than most of Sega's attempts too.

I wouldn't know myself - my handset can only recognise one touch screen press at a time, making the game completely unplayable. The iPhone apparently can recognise seventeen.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    <!--quoteo(post=538960:date=Dec 16 2010, 11:29 AM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Dec 16 2010, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538960">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=538956:date=Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 16 2010, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538956">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn it Sega. I want Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my ipod.

Yeah, this kinda pisses me off. I would have bought Sonic 4 for Android.

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    <!--quoteo(post=538960:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:29 PM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Dec 16 2010, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538960">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey next time one of your guys talks to a SEGA employee, can you inform them that Android exists? Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->What are you talking about? Everybody knows the only phone in existence is an iPhone.

Now if you'll go excuse me, I'm going to go listen to music on my iPod, which as we all know is the only way to listen to MP3s on the go, while playing with my iPad, which is the only tablet computer in existence despite barely qualifying as a computer. Apple is the best!

(God consumers are sheep)

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    <!--quoteo(post=538961:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because Sonic 3 & Knuckles requires extra effort and Sonic CD is a Mega CD game... which will require even more effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic CD has already been done as a proof-of-concept by just some guy. I'm sure Sega can find a way to give it terrible controls and weird emulation.

Hell, if I were to jailbreak my iPod I could play it right now. Still not going to jailbreak it any time soon though.

Sonic Spinball isn't even that great a game, by classic Sonic standards.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    By the way, according to super secret industry insiders, SEGA's going to have a(nother) sale on their iStuff games come the 21st.

9. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    <!--quoteo(post=539110:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539110">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=538961:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because Sonic 3 & Knuckles requires extra effort and Sonic CD is a Mega CD game... which will require even more effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic CD has already been done as a proof-of-concept by just some guy. I'm sure Sega can find a way to give it terrible controls and weird emulation.

Hell, if I were to jailbreak my iPod I could play it right now. Still not going to jailbreak it any time soon though.

They couldn't even get Sonic CD on the Gamecube because they didn't get the emulator right (Which, according to CulT, was becuase someone was bitching about the way sound was handled, or some shit.) What makes you think they can do it for iPhone? Taxman's was a port, not emulation; it requires more work than shoving a rom into a package with 5 second menus.

That being said, I was actually playing Spinball on my iPhone today using the Genesis AD emulator. I'm glad I can play it now with controls that aren't so cramped.

10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.
    <!--quoteo(post=539113:date=Dec 16 2010, 08:30 PM:name=Vendettagainst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vendettagainst @ Dec 16 2010, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539113">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539110:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539110">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=538961:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because Sonic 3 & Knuckles requires extra effort and Sonic CD is a Mega CD game... which will require even more effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They couldn't even get Sonic CD on the Gamecube because they didn't get the emulator right (Which, according to CulT, was becuase someone was bitching about the way sound was handled, or some shit.) What makes you think they can do it for iPhone? Saxman's was a port, not emulation; it requires more work than shoving a rom into a package with 5 second menus.

That being said, I was actually playing Spinball on my iPhone today using the Genesis AD emulator. I'm glad I can play it now with controls that aren't so cramped.

Sonic CD is on Gamecube. They couldn't get it on Mega Collection, but I would hardly put it past sonic to not have crapped out a second release anyway. It's emulated rather well in Gems, aside from some graphical errors.

Regarding ports, you've got to consider Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA. If they can at least do 50% better than they did on that with Sonic CD, I would be content. It shouldn't be hard either, considering the hardware of the iPhone.

Or just buy the port from Saxman.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=539118:date=Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539118">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just buy the port from Saxman.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you mean Taxman...

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.
    <!--quoteo(post=539119:date=Dec 16 2010, 08:45 PM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Dec 16 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539119">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539118:date=Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539118">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just buy the port from Saxman.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, I wasn't sure about the name. I was going by VendettaAgainst's post.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=539118:date=Dec 16 2010, 05:43 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539118">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539113:date=Dec 16 2010, 08:30 PM:name=Vendettagainst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vendettagainst @ Dec 16 2010, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539113">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539110:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539110">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=538961:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Dec 16 2010, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because Sonic 3 & Knuckles requires extra effort and Sonic CD is a Mega CD game... which will require even more effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They couldn't even get Sonic CD on the Gamecube because they didn't get the emulator right (Which, according to CulT, was becuase someone was bitching about the way sound was handled, or some shit.) What makes you think they can do it for iPhone? Saxman's was a port, not emulation; it requires more work than shoving a rom into a package with 5 second menus.

Sonic CD is on Gamecube. They couldn't get it on Mega Collection, but I would hardly put it past sonic to not have crapped out a second release anyway. It's emulated rather well in Gems, aside from some graphical errors.

Regarding ports, you've got to consider Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the GBA. If they can at least do 50% better than they did on that with Sonic CD, I would be content. It shouldn't be hard either, considering the hardware of the iPhone.

Or just buy the port from Saxman.

Yeah, but CD was the PC version. Same thing they did with Sonic R.

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.
    I don't understand how that changes anything. There was a PC version of Sonic 3&K too.

I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that PC versions wouldn't work as iPhone ports?

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=539128:date=Dec 16 2010, 06:06 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539128">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand how that changes anything. There was a PC version of Sonic 3&K too.

I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that PC versions wouldn't work as iPhone ports?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm saying that SEGA apparently still doesn't know how to work with a SEGA-CD. It was the SEGA-CD version that they tried to get on Mega Collection and failed at. So with GEMS, they just used the PC version. Same thing with the Saturn, they can't work it so they use the PC version of Sonic R.

SEGA also can't apparently work a damn 32X either because Chaotix was supposed to be in GEMS too.

16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.
    Ah, I see now. Sort of odd how they can't reverse their own engineering.

17. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    <!--quoteo(post=539142:date=Dec 16 2010, 10:48 PM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 16 2010, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539142">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, I see now. Sort of odd how they can't reverse their own engineering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Kind of - I'm sure they could, but they don't want to put the effort into a 5 minute money maker.

18. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    <!--quoteo(post=539119:date=Dec 17 2010, 02:45 AM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Dec 17 2010, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539119">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539118:date=Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM:name=Screwdriver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Dec 17 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539118">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just buy the port from Saxman.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey, it's not a bad idea. Taxman, do you sell it?

19. Jessica

Jessica

I think it's more of an Apple policy issue. They can't make the add-on work like it does on every other console because Apple says no (but it's possible). Who knows? They could be making us one big app with 2, 3, S3&K, and S&K in one package to fix that problem.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=539131:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:14 PM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Dec 16 2010, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539131">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->because Chaotix was supposed to be in GEMS too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wait, when did this happen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.