don't click here

Sonic Social Media Shenanigans (This totally just happened...)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ashura96, Jul 8, 2015.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    No, Silver Sonic literally doesn't exist. It's Mecha Sonic, given a different name by the translators. It's like saying Robotnik's a different character from Eggman. That's not "fractured fanfiction", it's common sense :v:

2. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Since they never ended up retweeting many 'inspirational' things, here was mine:

[​IMG]

3. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I think that's a bit narrow. You're probably right and the 8-bit boss of scrambed egg zone is just Ancient/Aspect's interpretation of the first boss of death egg zone, but the characteristics of the two robots are quite different (tentacle chest claw, no arms, no articulated spines, completely spherical liquid metal bouncy ball mode). Even if they have the same official name, further clarification is required to denote which sonic 2 mechanical robot boss your referring to, requiring separate naming conventions anyway.

And I don't think the name is that cut and dry either: The 8-bit euro manuals specifically refer to the character as 'silver sonic' (which I agree is a mistranslation/re-interpretation of the japanese manuals), but the 16-bit euro manual doesn't actually name the character or refer to the character at all (same with the Japanese 16-bit manuals). People who played both games just assumed the name applied to both versions.

So I believe in Japan the 8-bit version is "Mecha Sonic" but in Europe it was "Silver Sonic" and the 16-bit version is unnamed in either regions manual - I think we get the 16-bit name from other official/semi-official sources. Since the 8-bit version was most popular in europe, I feel the european name takes precedence and helps to separate the two characters, but I recognise this is always a contentious debate.

And that's without bringing in the S3&K version to muddle things up even further.

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    It's also beside the point as Gene's point was probably that Sonic Team ignores Aspect's stuff entirely, which is my fault, but the concept of Silver Sonic being its own thing DID just originate with the translations. At that point it becomes preference, I suppose- I do like the name Silver Sonic in the first place :P

The S3K Mecha Sonic is no muddying at all if you bother to look attentively at the design- in Japan, it's clearly just a more lethal and finalised version of the Mecha Sonic robots from Sonic 2, Sonic 2 GG, and later Adventure, having much the same moves and elements (wheel feet, monoeye, etc), just blue; in the West, it easily is accepted as a separate robot since it IS blue and while having the same elements as Silver Sonic, looks much sleeker and deadly.

EDIT: My sleep addled mind seems to have merged every staff member but Overlord into a TimmiT figure

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm just too standout. =P

6. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    So the Sonic Facebook page posted a nice image for Mario's 30th not too long ago:

[​IMG]

I especially like the poorly tacked-on "&LUIGI".

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If only the writing in Sonic games was as funny and witty as this.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That & LUIGI is fucking genius. It almost demands some & KNUCKLES style photoshoppery. =P

9. [​IMG]

GG Ruby :v:

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This is getting out of control. Eventually we won't need any more games, only Ruby.

Wait...can Ruby write the next game?

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The OVA has been breached.
    Repeat:
    The OVA has been breached.
    Knuckles fire hat gif must come next, Ruby.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not looking forward to the backlash when SEGA removes Dr. Eggman's name from the cover...

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That'd indicate firing Dr. Eggman and replacing him with NotBowser as a full time villain.

You thought the backlash from Sonic 4 was bad, that (impossible) scenario would cause a full scale meltdown.

14. Retroman

Retroman

I'm going to be hated for this but:

"Watch Out! You're gonna crash! Aah!"
    -Osama Bin Laden 2001

With Sonic seizure adventure face in the background
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Easy Peasy

[​IMG]

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    you are soulless bastards

surprised konami hasnt attempted to take down Ruby's "fan art" for referencing their material without paying them.

[inlinespoiler]#FucKonami[/inlinespoiler]

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/657591791537885184

Well done Ruby.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I hate how numb I am to how good this account is. It's so consistently great that I'm just kind of used to it now.

19. [​IMG]

Glorious.

20. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member