Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    <!--quoteo(post=420186:date=Mar 4 2010, 11:00 PM:name=Mykonos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mykonos @ Mar 4 2010, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420186">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420156:date=Mar 4 2010, 04:26 AM:name=Lizam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lizam @ Mar 4 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420156">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though I haven't seen an All Star move in online yet. Has it been confirmed that they're not in online?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. S0L confirmed it due to Synchronization issues.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awwwww. I guess it makes more balanced and competitive.

2. GoGoThursday

GoGoThursday

<!--quoteo(post=419856:date=Mar 3 2010, 09:47 PM:name=TheInvisibleSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheInvisibleSun @ Mar 3 2010, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=419856">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing that has been bothering me about this, is that they seemed to have totally forgotten about the Hornet from Daytona USA, which is actually a racing game, not to mention an AM2 game like Virtua Fighter. This would have definitely appealed more, seeing that the series has was extremely popular during Genesis/Saturn era.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

S0L said a few months ago that Sumo deliberately left out any Sega racing game for if and when they get the go-ahead to make a "Sega Racing Megamix" game. I'm surprised no blogs picked this quote up, as he implied there was a good chance that such a game would be possible.

Here's the quote, which was originally posted a while ago but was re-posted on the <a href="http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.php?p=1663966&postcount=62" target="_blank">NTSC-UK forums</a> yesterday:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm saving anything classic SEGA racing related for when we get the opportunity to do a 'best of' SEGA racing games. Like SEGA Racing Megamix.

This game is more about characters and nostalgia too, so I'm not sure dropping in more realistic racetracks would fit. But it's mostly for the first reason :P

---
    S0L
    ---<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And after some more searching I found the <a href="http://seganerds.thekartel.com/go/thread/view/87386/22200705/New_Sonic_and_SEGA_Allstars_Racing_trailer&post_num=169#388596829" target="_blank">original quote</a> from January:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of 'where are the Daytona/OutRun/Hang-On/SCUD Race/Virtua Racing/*insert SEGA racing game here* tracks!!!!???!!!101011010′ I think you've somewhat missed the point.

This is a character driven racing game, not a compilation of SEGA driving games. If/when we get to do Sega Racing Megamix, then I'll happily be visiting all those past SEGA racing games, taking the tracks up to HD standard and sorting all manner of interesting car licensing issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyway, I got the PS3 version this week and it's excellent. My only real disappointment is the framerate - a Sega arcade racer just needs 60fps. There appears to be a lot of particle and lighting effects that could perhaps increase the framerate if removed, so it would be good if we could sacrifice these in the options.

Aside from this, I look forward to future developments with DLC and maybe a sequel (or Racing Megamix)!

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=420136:date=Mar 3 2010, 11:23 PM:name=Blue Blood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Blood @ Mar 3 2010, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420136">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And you can't be a lap behind or else the attack won't work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that's probably the problem. See I've been dicking around in Whale lagoon so I can get the all star move easier, which involves me falling off cliffs and going in reverse constantly. I'll have to try doing this the normal way.

EDIT: I really wish that they let you play as the same character as someone else. If I want to play as Knuckles online, I should be allowed to play as Knuckles, regardless if someone else says otherwise.

Also does anyone else think that this is the worst CG Model of Sonic ever made (The one on the Sonic Says screen?) I always hate that slight toothy grin. Knuckles pose isn't too much better. The rest are fine though.

EDIT 2: That was the problem. I did it while I was on the same lap as them and I was fine. Thanks :D Now I only need the gold license achievement and the play online with a friend one.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    It would be nice if the online lobby's had an option like "clone characters on/off" so people could race duplicates or multiple shadows...

Character force or random mode would be a good treat too, randomly get eggman or a race of nothing but BIG THE CAT

5. <!--quoteo(post=420281:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:11 PM:name=Diablohead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Diablohead @ Mar 4 2010, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420281">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Character force or random mode would be a good treat too, randomly get eggman or a race of nothing but BIG THE CAT<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No items, Tails only, Thunder Deck.
    I'm surprized that they bothered stopping duplicates. All it does is piss people off. Maybe they'll remove it in a patch.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=420283:date=Mar 4 2010, 12:15 PM:name=JakeyBoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JakeyBoy @ Mar 4 2010, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420283">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420281:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:11 PM:name=Diablohead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Diablohead @ Mar 4 2010, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420281">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Character force or random mode would be a good treat too, randomly get eggman or a race of nothing but BIG THE CAT<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No items, Tails only, Thunder Deck.
    I'm surprized that they bothered stopping duplicates. All it does is piss people off. Maybe they'll remove it in a patch.
    Blame Sega of Japan for that travesty.

7. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    <!--quoteo(post=420145:date=Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM:name=GeneHF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneHF @ Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420145">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people aren't cheating to put ridiculous to impossible times on there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, they are. They drift around the whole fucking track. :colbert:

<!--quoteo(post=420242:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:36 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 4 2010, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420242">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also does anyone else think that this is the worst CG Model of Sonic ever made (The one on the Sonic Says screen?) I always hate that slight toothy grin. Knuckles pose isn't too much better. The rest are fine though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I kinda like it. It's far better than the one in the Sonic 4 logo.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=420291:date=Mar 4 2010, 09:24 AM:name=Ice Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ice Sonic @ Mar 4 2010, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420291">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420145:date=Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM:name=GeneHF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneHF @ Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420145">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people aren't cheating to put ridiculous to impossible times on there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=420242:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:36 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 4 2010, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420242">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also does anyone else think that this is the worst CG Model of Sonic ever made (The one on the Sonic Says screen?) I always hate that slight toothy grin. Knuckles pose isn't too much better. The rest are fine though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Sonic 4 smile is a bit strange, but still it looks better than toothy grin. Sonic and the Secret Rings has the same problem (Speaking of which, I stand corrected. THAT is the worst CG Sonic ever made)

Also damn them and not putting Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow's mouths on the side. They look simply retarded with them in the middle, that and the fact that it all looks like they're sucking in their lips makes them all look a little herp derp.

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    We interrupt these complaints about snaking to bring you:

<a href="http://spindash.de/Galerie/Sonic-SEGA-All-Stars-Racing/Artworks/" target="_blank">HD RENDERS OF THE ENTIRE CAST (Except Alex Kidd)</a>

Click a pic, and then click the download button for full HD goodness.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=420296:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:27 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 4 2010, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420296">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420291:date=Mar 4 2010, 09:24 AM:name=Ice Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ice Sonic @ Mar 4 2010, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420291">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420145:date=Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM:name=GeneHF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneHF @ Mar 4 2010, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420145">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->people aren't cheating to put ridiculous to impossible times on there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Sonic 4 smile is a bit strange, but still it looks better than toothy grin. Sonic and the Secret Rings has the same problem (Speaking of which, I stand corrected. THAT is the worst CG Sonic ever made)

Also damn them and not putting Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow's mouths on the side. They look simply retarded with them in the middle, that and the fact that it all looks like they're sucking in their lips makes them all look a little herp derp.
    It doesn't help that the only time you actually see their faces their mouths don't move. Watching Amy's victory pose is painful with how awkward she looks. During gameplay their mouths do move though. When drifting and boosting as Knuckles, use the look behind camera to see.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just so you know, I'm currently splitting audio.xpac (from the PC version), which contains ALL the sounds and commentary used in the game, and the best part of that is that they're not compressed, and they don't use weird proprietary formats. They're all in ms-adpcm format, one after the other, so splitting audio.xpac into several files is just a matter of finding the RIFF wave chunks :)
    I'll dig through them all later, but here is one as an appetizer: <a href="http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/3378.wav" target="_blank">http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/3378.wav</a>

Yes, 3378 means that it's the 3378th sound effect stored in audio.xpac (given that my program is splitting them correctly).
    I've yet to find the songs, but maybe those aren't in ms-adpcm format so I might need to finetune some parameters.

edit:
    <span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">WHAT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> -- <a href="http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/6373.wav" target="_blank">http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/6373.wav</a>
    Banjo and Kazooie? In the PC version? :o

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    <!--quoteo(post=420304:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Mar 4 2010, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420304">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We interrupt these complaints about snaking to bring you:

<a href="http://spindash.de/Galerie/Sonic-SEGA-All-Stars-Racing/Artworks/" target="_blank">HD RENDERS OF THE ENTIRE CAST (Except Alex Kidd)</a>

Click a pic, and then click the download button for full HD goodness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems Shadow gained a little wear and tear on those boots of his. Anyways, loving the game myself, usually using Shadow or Knuckles. Haven't got gold yet unfortunately but when I do I'd love to race some of you people here =P

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=420334:date=Mar 4 2010, 01:32 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Mar 4 2010, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420334">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just so you know, I'm currently splitting audio.xpac (from the PC version), which contains ALL the sounds and commentary used in the game, and the best part of that is that they're not compressed, and they don't use weird proprietary formats. They're all in ms-adpcm format, one after the other, so splitting audio.xpac into several files is just a matter of finding the RIFF wave chunks :)
    I'll dig through them all later, but here is one as an appetizer: <a href="http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/3378.wav" target="_blank">http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/3378.wav</a>

Yes, 3378 means that it's the 3378th sound effect stored in audio.xpac (given that my program is splitting them correctly).
    I've yet to find the songs, but maybe those aren't in ms-adpcm format so I might need to finetune some parameters.

edit:
    <span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">WHAT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> -- <a href="http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/6373.wav" target="_blank">http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/6373.wav</a>
    Banjo and Kazooie? In the PC version? :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah Banjo's file are in every version of the game, besides DS.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, by now I completely split audio.xpac (given that ALL the files inside it were in RIFF wave format, as I used the "RIFF" string as delimiter in my splitter), and it resulted into 18895 files. I might upload them somewhere but it's 1.67 gigabytes of WAV files so I doubt anyone would be really interested, unless I can locate the songs, hmmmmm

By the way, the files from 18702 onwards aren't in ad-pcm format, they're in WMA, apparently. But they don't work, and I bet those are the songs D:

15. I've just played the DS version, and I love it. I'm gonna get the wii version soon.

<!--quoteo(post=420357:date=Mar 4 2010, 08:16 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Mar 4 2010, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420357">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, by now I completely split audio.xpac (given that ALL the files inside it were in RIFF wave format, as I used the "RIFF" string as delimiter in my splitter), and it resulted into 18895 files. I might upload them somewhere but it's 1.67 gigabytes of WAV files so I doubt anyone would be really interested, unless I can locate the songs, hmmmmm

By the way, the files from 18702 onwards aren't in ad-pcm format, they're in WMA, apparently. But they don't work, and I bet those are the songs D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm always interested in that kind of stuff. But yeah, 1.67 gig is alot, you won't have to upload that for me.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=420370:date=Mar 4 2010, 07:45 PM:name=CarrierHack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CarrierHack @ Mar 4 2010, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420370">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=420357:date=Mar 4 2010, 08:16 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Mar 4 2010, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420357">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, by now I completely split audio.xpac (given that ALL the files inside it were in RIFF wave format, as I used the "RIFF" string as delimiter in my splitter), and it resulted into 18895 files. I might upload them somewhere but it's 1.67 gigabytes of WAV files so I doubt anyone would be really interested, unless I can locate the songs, hmmmmm

By the way, the files from 18702 onwards aren't in ad-pcm format, they're in WMA, apparently. But they don't work, and I bet those are the songs D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm always interested in that kind of stuff. But yeah, 1.67 gig is alot, you won't have to upload that for me.

I'd be interested in those too, but, again, it's a big upload. Is that 1.67GB uncompressed? You could probably make it smaller, but it'd still be too big to be worth uploading.

17. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I'd be interested in a Sega Classic Racing Megamix title. I hear Daytona USA 2 never got an official release on consoles, so seeing stuff from that game would be quite interesting. (Plus, you could avoid some of the licensing issues of Daytona by calling it "SEGA Racing Classic" since that seems to be what they're doing with the original Daytona for arcades)

18. Oh, another thing. On the dutch TV-commercial, they call it "sonic racing" :v:

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

YES! I finally have it.

[​IMG]

I hope to play the game as soon as I can.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=420304:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:44 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Mar 4 2010, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=420304">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We interrupt these complaints about snaking to bring you:

Click a pic, and then click the download button for full HD goodness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, those are on the Assets disc we got at Alton Towers. Guess I should have put them on the wiki already, huh =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.