don't click here

Sonic & Sega All-Stars fighting & soccer games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Jul 1, 2017.

1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/06/sonic-sega-all-stars-brawl-football-concepts-discovered/

Someone should make wiki articles for these.

2. I was really wanting a Sonic Smash and thought it might have been the next logical step after they were done with the racing franchise. Too bad it didn't happen :(

3. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    What was that old football/soccer game that had Sonic characters as a cameo team again? Can't fully recall that one.

To be serious, when SEGA makes fantasy sports games, they should have less brought-down-to-human-level mindset. Keep them surreal and crazy!

4. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

Man a Powerstone style Sega fighting game would be a dream come true. I know Sumo is kind of hollywood now but I sure hope they make another Sega Superstars game one day, fighting or otherwise.

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I think that was Virtua Striker 3. Secret team with Yuji Naka as manager.

I think a good version of Megaman's Soccer with Sonic characters would be 10/10
    Or a sequel to Fighter's Megamix. I'm not picky.

6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm still waiting for a proper 2D(2.5D?) fighting game, even thought of making it myself. Something that played like the best titles of the King of Fighters series.

7. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    A KOF 98/02/XIII like fighter isn't coming anytime soon. Not enough dotters left now and too much time / money to make.

A Sega all-stars game is intriguing as well as the football game. I hope that Sumo gets the time and permission to revisit these ideas again.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Excuse me, but, how can be so hard to make an old school fighting game these days if they were able to do that 20 years ago? And a 2.5D would be like releasing, you know, the most recent street fighter. For a homebrew game, IIRC, Mugen could help.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "It's easier because it's 2D"

Yeesh. Balancing a fighting game is a lot of work. Imagine you realize you have to adjust how a character's attack works, and you can't get away with just fiddling with the hitboxes. No, you need to reanimate the character. That's actually something that's easier to do in 3D than it is in 2D. And that's just one reason why a 2D fighter isn't "inherently" easier to make. And no, a 2.5D fighter isn't inherently easier to make than a full 3D fighter either.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I wish I had that article from the Skullgirls clusterfuck.

EDIT: To clarify, Capcom came out during that debacle and chimed in that one character model for Street Fighter IV (a 2.5D game) costs about 1 million.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

You got me wrong, but I know it was mostly my fault, so I'll try to explain. I think it's way easier to do it now like they did back in the 90's because it's a tried and true, they don't have to innovate and have a lot of games to take as an example. And, in the 90's, they way they made the graphics and animations would be a lot cheaper today. Of course a 3D character cost that much, they have that technology to capture real moves so characters look a lot more realistic, and that isn't exactly cheap, not to mention the high quality graphics, which brings us back to the 90's, because even in 2D graphics, they didn't use as many sprites as they do now in modern 2D games. Oh, and don't forget the number of people developing those oldies was evidently smaller. Saying "easier" doesn't mean "easy", by the way, but I mentioned Mugen because it's possible to do a fighting game even for people not in the videogame industry. I imagined that fighting game back in those days, before even PlayStation and Saturn came out, and they paid for Sonic The Fighters, so...

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this since when people think Mugen they think "sprite dump from already existing games" (So Marvel 2 basically) and not something like Card Sagas Wars which uses wholly original sprites and in the end wasn't even finished.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ePGaDh1iw
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ePGaDh1iw

13. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    The short answer:

Technology and the Consumer's expectations have changed in 20 years for fighters, and very few are willing to take the time and/or have the money to make a 2D pixel based fighter that will meet those expectations from scratch.

The long answer:

There aren't as many people who can dot to the standards of today (it's tough to do stuff that's 160 x 160) or make a program as complex as a fighting game engine as most of those companies who made that either got absorbed or died off.

Within the thread below, SAB-CA explains all you need to know about the recent KOF sprite process:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/67141/how-do-they-create-the-kof-xii-sprites

Arc Systems(BlazBlue, Guilty GearX, Dragon Ball Fighter Z) uses a drawn method(vectors), while KOF used the dotting(sprite)method. The dotting method is just really expensive / highly time consuming unless either you underpay the pixel artist (like really lowball to the point that they might need another job) or you don't mind lopping off frames which would affect the public reaction a bit.

Mugen may help, but how many people will take you seriously when you mention that the engine is straight Mugen??

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Honestly, I don't know how did they make art back in the no 3D days, and I don't know which method would be the better to have 2D graphics these days, but that's something I wondered even when the Mega Drive games had sometimes 3D rendered graphics. If I was going to make a 2D fighting game today, I suppose I would get illustrators with professional skills and convert their drawings into valid sprites.

That about art; about the engine, well, Mugen was an example, I'm not sure how good or bad is it. I gave a try to a game called Super Cosplay Wars some time ago, and I don't know if it was made on Mugen or not, but it was rather decent for a freeware fighting game, so I thought a Sonic fighting fan game was possible.

Still, when it comes to a professional work, we already know they did both Sonic The Fighters and Sonic Battle, plus we have Super Smash Bros as a reference for Sonic and similar characters being included in a fun and good fighting game. It's true no one of these examples are 2d traditional fighting games, but it's also true they could be open to the Sonic fighting game idea there in Sega.

And that's all, I just said I wanted a game like Street Fighter or King of Fighters in the Sonic franchise since the days of good old Mega Drive, and thought about making one just because of it. If there's no chance for that kind of fan game, and Sega never develops one oficially, bad for me, but that's all.

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    In terms of production and artwork, Sonic Battle is the closest to being a 'traditional' 2D fighting game (as it uses sprites, and is technically already fully 2D). Though honestly, I kind of wish that Sonic Championship got a sequel. It would have been nice to see the 'frantic' Virtua Fighter styled gameplay refined and improved a bit more.