Sonic SatAM Beta!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rabid, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid

Rabid

*Proclaimed by Nemesis* The Pallete Master Oldbie
    Cumbria, northwest UK
    Project Pending...
    Browsing for info on biohazard prototypes I came accross this awsome site, has a huge info archive of betas and canceled games and then I found this... <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/sonic-sti-prototype/" target="_blank">SatAM Beta for the Genesis!</a>
    I only checked it out because I thought it was for sonic 1 but labled that Sega Technical Institute worked on it which was wrong so I wanted to check and see if the beta info was accurate but found it wasn't Sonic 1 at all.

Why have I never heard of this Proto?

2. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Old news is old. Also the narrator in that first video is IRRITATING as all get out.
    Bugger should have his voice box removed....

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    It definitely isn't a new discovery, but it is a cool one! I imagine the lack of comprehensive documentation on our end (as far as I know, anyway) might have a bit to do with why you never knew anything about it.

In regards to the game itself, does anyone else here think it looked kind of crappy? I mean, it's a neat idea, sure, but I think it would have been a lot less interesting in execution. It appeared to be very slow and more fit to another kind of game series. Granted, you could also say that about SatAM as a whole, but that's a whole different story.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=450659:date=May 4 2010, 10:49 AM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ May 4 2010, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450659">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It definitely isn't a new discovery, but it is a cool one! I imagine the lack of comprehensive documentation on our end (as far as I know, anyway) might have a bit to do with why you never knew anything about it.

In regards to the game itself, does anyone else here think it looked kind of crappy? I mean, it's a neat idea, sure, but I think it would have been a lot less interesting in execution. It appeared to be very slow and more fit to another kind of game series. Granted, you could also say that about SatAM as a whole, but that's a whole different story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly the reasons it was canned I believe. And yeah, it did look rather crappy. Not to mention the petty game-purist in me nowadays would hate it for being based around the SatAM universe.

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That gameplay is looking slow. It should have been Sally as the player, saving Sonic. And I think most SatAM fans would have bought the game!

It kinda looks like Spinball, and isn't it the same creators behind the game? Then we are probably talking about C code. It is fun to see the limits of a C programmed Genesis game, and I wonder if Earth Worm Jim was programmed in the same way since it was also produced for SNES?

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I'm probably the biggest SatAM fan out there and even I have to admit the gameplay looks lacking. But I probably would have bought it because... I'm the biggest SatAM fan out there :P

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I admit the gameplay looks iffy though some of Sonic's abilities look cool and the animation is pretty fluid. Also, you gotta want an official game form for Sally.

8. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    That video doesn't really look like an actual game running to me. It looks like it was drawn by hand and animated just to show what the game would have been like. That would be why it seems so slow.

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The game isn't ignored by the wiki. <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic-16" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Sonic-16</a>

10. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Absolutely any coherent thought I've got about this video and the canned SatAM game has been eclipsed by the hilarious Byker Grove proto-special. Quite what the non-british contingent of the forum make of the inane ramblings of a geordie, I would love to find out. "Why aye man like pet, oo's bin puttin' crisps in me sleepin' baag?"

Anyway, moving swiftly on - this game does not look anything like the classic sonic games. Since the classic sonic games aren't just revered by sonic fans, but are generally held up as one of the finest examples of the 16-bit era, it doesn't seem unreasonable that it was canned. It's probably true that it wouldn't play anywhere near as well. I do however have a big giant soft spot for SatAM - its darker, arguably more 'adult' (for a cartoon) way of interpreting the videogames floated my boat much more than any of the other cartoons. I often wonder what the franchise would look like in an alternate universe where SatAM developed as the main continuity for the games, (from what I gather, the current animated Sonic series is an anime based in people-land. I don't know whether that started in the cartoon and got crowbarred into the latest offerings or whether the games themselves did it.) In any case, whilst this game does look a bit... crap, it'd be interesting to see what chain of events it might have set off - would we have arrived at werehogs anyway? What gameplay would the inevitable wave of 3D games have offered? Would the 3D generation of games be more stealth/atmosphere-centric or plot driven? Would the television series have been axed? Would the default set of characters have been considered to be Sally, Sonic et al, rather than the Shadow, Human Woman, Amy, Cream malarkey? (I don't actually know which one Cream is, I've just seen it around) Would the franchise have gone down the same road anyway, to cash in on the popularity of anime amongst westerners?

To summarize
    - Geordies talk funny
    - Game looks different, but plodding
    - Provides interesting food for thought on how the series might have developed, had the powers that be decided to make a different canon the 'official' one.

11. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    <!--quoteo(post=450715:date=May 4 2010, 10:12 AM:name=iojnekns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iojnekns @ May 4 2010, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450715">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Provides interesting food for thought on how the series might have developed, had the powers that be decided to make a different canon the 'official' one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It most likely would have been treated as a spin-off, like Spinball.

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=450648:date=May 4 2010, 02:05 AM:name=Rabid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabid @ May 4 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450648">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Browsing for info on biohazard prototypes I came accross this awsome site, has a huge info archive of betas and canceled games and then I found this... <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/sonic-sti-prototype/" target="_blank">SatAM Beta for the Genesis!</a>
    I only checked it out because I thought it was for sonic 1 but labled that Sega Technical Institute worked on it which was wrong so I wanted to check and see if the beta info was accurate but found it wasn't Sonic 1 at all.

Why have I never heard of this Proto?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Baaaw I was hoping you actually found a dump.

I wonder how hard it would be to restore this type of gameplay in Sonic Spinball? It always seemed likely to me that Spinball started out as this game and then management told them to make it a pinball game instead, because of Sonic's sprites.

13. <!--quoteo(post=450720:date=May 4 2010, 11:27 AM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ May 4 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450720">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450648:date=May 4 2010, 02:05 AM:name=Rabid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabid @ May 4 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450648">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Browsing for info on biohazard prototypes I came accross this awsome site, has a huge info archive of betas and canceled games and then I found this... <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/sonic-sti-prototype/" target="_blank">SatAM Beta for the Genesis!</a>

I wonder how hard it would be to restore this type of gameplay in Sonic Spinball? It always seemed likely to me that Spinball started out as this game and then management told them to make it a pinball game instead, because of Sonic's sprites.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought the very same thing on seeing this topic.

Anyways, replicating the sprites alone would be amazing.
    Replicating the GAME would be unbelievable.

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=450728:date=May 4 2010, 09:09 AM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ May 4 2010, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450728">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450720:date=May 4 2010, 11:27 AM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ May 4 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450720">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450648:date=May 4 2010, 02:05 AM:name=Rabid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabid @ May 4 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450648">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Browsing for info on biohazard prototypes I came accross this awsome site, has a huge info archive of betas and canceled games and then I found this... <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/sonic-sti-prototype/" target="_blank">SatAM Beta for the Genesis!</a>

Replicating it in Spinball might be too lofty a goal as I don't think anyone in this scene has done any real spinball hacking, but I could see someone like Cinossu or StephenUK pulling it off in the Sonic 1 engine pretty easily.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=450699:date=May 4 2010, 09:19 AM:name=PicklePower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PicklePower @ May 4 2010, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450699">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That video doesn't really look like an actual game running to me. It looks like it was drawn by hand and animated just to show what the game would have been like. That would be why it seems so slow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's just an animation running on an Amiga, just like the Comix Zone presentation.

16. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=450732:date=May 4 2010, 11:23 AM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ May 4 2010, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450732">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450728:date=May 4 2010, 09:09 AM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ May 4 2010, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450728">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450720:date=May 4 2010, 11:27 AM:name=Mad Echidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ May 4 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450720">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=450648:date=May 4 2010, 02:05 AM:name=Rabid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rabid @ May 4 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=450648">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Browsing for info on biohazard prototypes I came accross this awsome site, has a huge info archive of betas and canceled games and then I found this... <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/sonic-sti-prototype/" target="_blank">SatAM Beta for the Genesis!</a>

Replicating it in Spinball might be too lofty a goal as I don't think anyone in this scene has done any real spinball hacking, but I could see someone like Cinossu or StephenUK pulling it off in the Sonic 1 engine pretty easily.

I don't doubt their skills, but why would anyone want to? It doesn't look like it would have been a very interesting game.

17. SpeedStarTMQ

SpeedStarTMQ

Here for The Hedgehog. Member
    UK
    I never thought that this game would have done any good had it been actually released. SatAM was an alright series, but compared to other shows of the time, isn't as memorable to 'normal people'. The vast majority of the general public have a vague memory of SatAM, or didn't watxch it at all, especially here around London. The demo is far too slow for a Sonic game, and it's known that games of something based on a game are unlikely to be as good as the original source material. I'm glad it was cancelled. Besides, Sonic Spinball is hardly one of the top 50 Mega Drive games, and it's likely this game would have gone the same way.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=451031:date=May 5 2010, 09:27 AM:name=SpeedStarTMQ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedStarTMQ @ May 5 2010, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=451031">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never thought that this game would have done any good had it been actually released. SatAM was an alright series, but compared to other shows of the time, isn't as memorable to 'normal people'. The vast majority of the general public have a vague memory of SatAM, or didn't watxch it at all, especially here around London.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never knew personally of anybody who watched more than one single episode, where I live.

AoStH, on the other hand... That was even rerunned recently, in some channels.

19. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    <!--quoteo(post=451033:date=May 5 2010, 02:41 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ May 5 2010, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=451033">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never knew personally of anybody who watched more than one single episode, where I live.

AoStH, on the other hand... That was even rerunned recently, in some channels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    UK channels Pop/Kix (run by the same company) have been airing all three Sonic cartoons for as long as I can remember.

Say what you will about AoStH, but the fact remains that it did get a game release based on it (even if it's technically an art-shift localisation) and there were twice as many episodes produced compared to Sonic SatAM. But then you could argue that SatAM is more successful because it survived via Archie Comics, etc, etc.

Thoughts on the SatAM Beta game: The key to the gameplay of any Sonic game being fun (in my opinion) is the way momentum is used. This engine could have worked if it ran more like the classic Prince of Persia games, with an emphasis on 'alternative' methods of dispatching guards (ie. not brute force) while simultaneously downplaying the stealth. Throw in some deliberate-but-fluid platforming mechanics and build upon the already great animation concept (though I'm not about to suggest you attempt rotoscoping an actor for the sprites :v: ) and it may have made it past the concept stage!

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

SatAM isn't known over here much either. AOSTH is vaguely remembered, but everyone remembers Underground and is generally well liked because, eh, it's Sonic. I've noticed, and these posts kind of confirm it, that SatAM wasn't that popular in Europe, but it was more popular in USA. In England they had STc, that might have been why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.