don't click here

Sonic Rush's sound test mystery

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shade, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shade

Shade

This is a little something I noticed after getting Sonic Rush a few weeks back. There is a track called "Blaze Appears" (I believe that is the name. Its when Blaze first appears while playing as Sonic. Right after Leaf Storm's boss.). If you havent noticed, it sounds a lot different than Hideki's JSR style soundtrack, almost like Gameboy Advance music.

So, I'm sure your all asking "What the hell is your point, Shade?". My point, ladies and gents, is that back when the first trailers for this game came out, they were of Sonic and I believe Blaze running through Leaf Storm Zone, and that same track was playing in that zone, and it didnt sound like placeholder music just slapped in the trailer. It sounded to be emanating from the actual game. Others have been wondering about the sprites during the creidts, and if this was earlier being planned as a GBA game.

Well, my thoughts were "Could this BGM have been an early BGM for Leaf Storm?". If so, that could raise further questions, such as "Was this really first worked on for GBA, and they just didnt compose the new soundtrack for it yet by the time they made that trailer, and then reused that single peice for Blaze's appearance in the final?" Just a few random thingsn that caught my eye (ear. whatever).

So, discuss. Or disregard. Whicever you find suitable. Just thought I'd bring this up, as I haven't seen this noted before, and I found it perculiar. My guess is that it is early music that was scrapped for Hideki's soundtrack, and reused for Blaze. But it very well may have a deeper connection. Tis why I brought it up.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I remember that track. It really put me off the game at first, because of how horrible it sounded compared to what I knew the DS could produce. After listening to the better quality music though, I could see I was wrong.

I'm willing to assure you there will be some unused music scattered throughout the ROM. We just need to figure out the format first.

Cue Heran.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, the drowning music sounds like a modified GBA track (ie, sounds like crap).

I was quite surprised when I heard such a poor conversion of the original music between all those quality tunes.

4. Xilla

Xilla

Super! Smashing! Member
    On a similar note, where does #37 "What U Need is PSG" appear in the game? Can't recall hearing it anywhere, unless it pops up in multiplayer.

5. Shade

Shade

I _think_ it might be when the gravity turns upside down in Dead Line. I could be wrong.

ICEKnight brings up another good point on the drowning music. Normally I'd write it off as just intentionally trying to be nostalgic, but combining that with my other current thoughts and the fact that it could indeed sound MUCH better, I think this rom is worth looking into for sure. Of particular interest are any sprites that might be in there, and most of all the music issue. I just find it weird that the GBA sounding "Blaze Appears" track was the BG music for Leaf Storm in the first trailer for this game. Very interesting stuff.

My theory thus far is that the track was originally the BGM for Leaf Storm. Wether or not this game really was originally planned for GBA remains to be seen. I look forward to what we might dig up in the future.

6. Nice track name.

7. Darkon

Darkon

UK
    What U Need is PSG is used in single card download play when selecting a character.
    Odd really, I was expecting download play to use all degraded songs like that but it only used that one, the rest were the usual songs.

8. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    What U Need is PSG? XDDD, looks like Sega still knows the Genesis music format. =P

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    ....you bastard, beat me to the punch. :)

10. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    It might be worth noting that "Blaze Appears" is not included on Original Groove Rush (the OST), although "I Wanna Breathe" (the drowning effect) is.

11. Shade

Shade

Funny, I downloaded that very soundtrack (from a link provided by Kushami, a trial member) and that track is indeed included.

12. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Edit: Actually, is it the same as "Enemy or Friend?" I don't have my DS handy, but that might be it.

You probably got a rip.

13. Shade

Shade

Yes, that's exactly it. that's the track I am refering to. It was the background music for Leaf Storm zone in the first official trailer ever released for the game (I believe it was the first trailer). In the game's sound test, it is called "Blaze Appears", and is quite a bit longer, though it sounds like it is just looping the last part of the song.

14. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    http://www.sonicworld.net/sw/games/ds/rush/#videos

I still had it archived on my site from E3! It's called "Official Trailer 1," 8.96 MB in WMV format.

Sounds like the boss theme used to be a remix of that track...and yeah, during the level, the screen switches areas and it replays the song over and over. Great observation. The title theme sounds different too.

15. Shade

Shade

Interesting. Signs point towards this game most likely having a different soundtrack, at least to a certain extent, prior to Hideki's work. And it all sounds very GBA-ish to me, though that alone proves nothing.

It could be nothing more than placeholder music for the trailer, but seeing as how some was reused in the final, I cannot write it off as such just yet. Indeed, the plot thickens.

16. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    This is really farfetched, but...

Think back to E3. Sega was working on five Sonic games. We only knew of four at the time, but Riders had to have been in development too. I don't know who did the soundtrack for Gems Collection, but Senoue / Crush 40 were busy with Shadow. Wavemaster might have been juggling both Riders and Rush, so they brought in Nagamura. I can't think of any other possible reason to explain why Nagamura did this soundtrack instead of the normal composers. If they wanted him from the beginning, why would they suddenly bring him in midway through development?

17. Shade

Shade

Very interesting theory, and not entirely far-fetched. It definitley sound logical and indeed possible. By the way, the composer for Gems' music was Naofumi Hataya.

An interview with a Sonic Rush team member would do wonders right about now :P It'll be interesting to see what bits of unused stuff people end up digging up. Might unravel a bit more of the mystery.

18. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    That music makes me afraid that eggman is going to school me.

Haha, with me SUPRA_CARD XD, I CAN HAXOR NDS GAMES LIKE A MOTHER HUMPER.
    Anywho, there are 13 folders for music. Each zone has a S, B, ES, and EB version. I'm pretty sure each song is a seperate "sound_data.sdat" but I'm not sure about the title/menu screen.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    So people seem to like these music?

I hate it!

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I hate it too... outside of the game.

But it works so perfectly in-game, it's totally fab, dude. :P

But, yeah. That's just my opinion, and "Back 2 Back" just owns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.