don't click here

Sonic Rush Samples

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Moogs, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Huepow00

Huepow00

That Crazy Bunny Member
    Orange County
    SSK: Super Sonic Knockout
    RE: The above

The Einhander + Ollie King Vocal Raps are from an old sample collection CD called Masterbits - Rapsody - Vocals - 2
    ......Just incase anyone was wondering.

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I most certainly was! I've come to enjoy those lyrics quite a bit. Thank you!

3. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Boarder 70 (Something Jazzy for Your Mind Mix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhIJV8L_sI

Unfortunately I must debunk the myth that these are the same sample. I doubt they are even from the same track. The first is a simple four-chord progression with one note variation at the end, and has very audible finger scratching; The second has more variations, lasts twice as many bars, and sounds like it's played on nylon strings. It's likely that these are from two renditions of the same classical guitar song. It's also possible that Tomoya Ohtani heard the first sample and decided to rerecord it in-house. After all, all of Hideki's samples come from SEGA's personal library, which I assume is open to SEGA's other musicians too.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    "Sega's personal library" has at least some of, but may not be limited to, Norman Cook / Fatboy Slim's sample collection CD 'Skip to My Loops'. Contains lots of various samples featured all throughout both Sonic Rush, CD, and 3K.

5. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    The Sonic Rush samples in particular have been popping up in Hideki's non-SEGA songs as well.
    MIKI (from Guitar Vader) remixed by Hideki Naganuma - ???????? [Nanka-Samba Remix]
    Guitar riff from What U Need.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0usxI9ftUk
    Whistle from Ska Cha Cha, Vela Nova at 0:12, also trumpets from Oldies but Happies at 1:09

They're in SEGA games too!
    Hideki Naganuma - Get It 2 Win It [Extended Mix]
    The distorted... whatever that is from Back 2 Back
    Hideki Naganuma - Southpole [Winter Banana Pretz Mix]
    Vocals from Raisin' Me Up
    Sonic Generations - VS. Metal Sonic (Stardust Speedway Bad Future JP)
    The wah guitar from Get Edgy (Blazy Mix)

Then of course there's this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JscmMJHxDo

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This is very simlar to 'Get It 2 Win'

Guess Tomoya Ohtani heard the riff and recreated it?

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hey guys sorry to bump a year old thread but do I have some exciting news.
    Super Spindash of SSMB finished his long project, getting all samples of Sonic Rush in HQ (save for 3). here is his original post:

More information in his topic he mentioned.

8. Felik

Felik

But I thought that US laws only allow you to use 3 seconds of someone else's work as a sample, otherwise you can be sued. Isn't that correct?
    Some samples seem to surpass that margin.

9. Faseeh

Faseeh

Usually not more than 10% of any work can be used for another work, unless permission is granted.

Sampling however is a different case as it's using significant but small parts to bring out a piece more (at least for Hideki) and some musicians like to do it. They can be sued but the original musicians could never know, be fine with it (and actually like it) or just not bother.

Also, the samples could be (which is the case here as Spindash says 'from their respective packs') from library where you can use them royalty-free as long as you pay. That way, any source could be using them and they're not doing anything illegal.

Hope that clarified things a bit :)