don't click here

Sonic Rush Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tanks, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanks

Tanks

Well I started looking inside Sonic Rush a few days ago. I can't remember why really. Might have been something Tweaker had brought up. Anyway, I've been documenting my findings so far and here's what I've got:

Sonic Rush File Directories:

-ACT (In-game Sprites)
    -ACT2 (Menu Sprites)
    -AMA (???)
    -BANNER (NDS banners for the demo/vs downloads)
    -BG (In-game BGs?)
    -BG2 (Menu BGs?)
    -DAT (???)
    -MB (vs/demo downloadable ROMs)
    -MOD (Models)
    -NARC (Level data?)
    -PLDM (Events?)
    -SND (.SDAT Sound files)
    -SS (Special Stages)
    -ST (Sound Test)
    -TALK (Voices?)

Some issues I have right now are that many of the .narc files in /NARC/ are encrypted with lz7. I cannot not find any info on lz7 on the internet. .NARCs happen to be mini NITRO format files, so they contain files. If we can decrypt them, we'll be able to access what files are inside. I suspect level data, though I'm obviously not completely sure.

There are also the .dac files in /ACT/ and /ACT2/. As many of you know, the Sonic Adv. 3 sprites were found in a .dac file in the E3 proto. The rest of the graphics in the .dac files, however, are compressed. I have no clue about what compression either. perhaps the uncompressed Sonic Adv. 3 one may help us there.

Anyway, once the lz7 narc files are cracked, I'm pretty sure we'll be on our way to cracking the level format.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    I swear, if we ever get into serious modding of this game, I'm kicking Blaze to the curb and putting Shadow in. BELIEVE IT.

3. Tanks

Tanks

Well, SANiK helped me out with the lz7 NARC issue and as a result we've found the sprites. :P

This is the trampoline object from ACT 1.

[​IMG]

(Taken from E3 ROM, have yet to find it in the final)

Anyway, the sprites are inside the lz7 NARC files as .bac files. The .bac files in ACT and ACT2 are not sprites. They could possibly be palette files, right now we're unsure...

Anyway... more to come...

4. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
  5. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    Doublepost, but.

I believe I've found an incomplete, unused level. The graphics are recycled, and I need to do some tests, but I'm almost certain we've got something fresh and exciting on our hands.

6. Tanks

Tanks

anything titled ac_gmk_???.bac is a sprite. That's another little update... also uhhh... There are more levels hidden in the E3 ROM. I'll take a look at 'em sooner or later. We also need to try to port a level from SRA to SR, just for you know... laughing purposes... :P

7. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Awesome awesome and awesome.

Can we get screens/a video when you guys figure it out?

8. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
  9. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Is there any chance you could record your video from an emulator?

10. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    So, I linked that video in #soniccenter and they said that it is totally the layout from Time attack stage X4.

11. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
  12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Swapping Sonics' model for Super Sonic does nothing. I had to try for the LULZ.

I'll mess with this tomorrow, I was messing with rush a few days ago.

13. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Well, it might not count for squat, but I went back and played Sonic Rush after watching these vids, and they do exactly sync up with Zone X Acts 3/4. I'd make a video, but it's past midnight and I'm just too damned lazy atm. However, for what it's worth... myself, Upthorn, and Rolken all touted them as being the same when they were shown in #soniccenter.

EDIT: Better yet, shouldn't there be vids of Zone X Acts 3/4 on YouTube to compate to?

14. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    Okay. Guys. Yeah.

I'm dumb. These are the time attack levels. Poo.

Time to mess around with the e3 beta.

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Isn't it odd, swapping Sonics' model doesn't crash the game? I've swapped it with blaze and super sonic, but the game plays as Sonic like normal. I replaced every model of sonic and nothing happens.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    How about swapping someone else's model. Like Blaze or Super Sonic/Burning Blaze.

17. Flygon

Flygon

Perhaps there is more than one model for Sonic?

18. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I've done alot of DS hacking before (With Tanks on New Super Mario Bros) so I'll take a stab at swapping models. Be back with information later.

Edit: Turns out, Sonic and Blaze have seperate files, but they are the same exact file bytewise just with a different name. Looks like we'll need a little reordering inside an actual file to do this.

DISREGAURD THIS I SUCK COCKS

Edit2: The files for Sonic and Blazes models are not what you would think, they don't seem to be the ones in the MOD folder. However, inside of the player_lz7.narc is what looks pretty damn well to be their models. Working on this now.

Edit3: Confirmed. Inside of player_lz7.narc is the models. After some byte swapping, I crashed right when it went to load the models at the intro/game start.

Edit4: ALSO COCKS AGAIN! UPON SKIPPING THE INTRO, WE ARE GREETED WITH THIS!
    [​IMG]
    LOL BLAZEHOG

Edit5: Also...
    [​IMG]

Edit6: Haha, thanks to a save file from Aquaslash...
    [​IMG]

Edit7: Jesus Christ what have I done.
    [​IMG]

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    This is VERY interesting. I'd love to see the model format cracked, to something convertable perhaps? Imaging Sonic 2-esque models in this, it'd be awesome =P

20. Tanks

Tanks

Models are something for another team. In most cases the models in a DS game are all .nsbmd files. New Super Mario Bros. uses them, Sonic Rush uses them. I personally have not seen a DS game that does not.

Personally, what I think is needed the most is a cracked level format and beat findings. (Everybody LOVES beta findings! <3)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.