don't click here

Sonic Runners announced (Sonic Team/Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Nova

Nova

You mean... A 2D Sonic game where you don't hold a direction, basically? :v:

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Sonic 4 mobile with the phone tilted for you =P

3. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    According to the list of speakers on the MGF London website the following from SEGA are going to be speakers for the event:

Minoru Iwaki - COO SEGA Networks
    Chris Southall - CTO SEGA Europe

Also, the event runs through 'till tomorrow, so we may not actually get any details today for Sonic Runners (if anything at all, seeing as nothing has been announced bar the "Mid January" announcement dating from the initial reveal).

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Doesn't seem like there will actually be any game reveals at this event, it just seems to be stuff about the mobile gaming industry.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

At any rate, we should get some news this month according to Famitsu. So if it doesn't come from this mobile event, it'll most likely come from a Japanese source in the next 11 days.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    So basically a 2D version of Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 3D and similar to SASR. The upgrade system from that game would work perfectly for them to milk DLC monies.

7. Nova

Nova

And work perfectly to drive me the fuck away from it.

Upgrades that improve the quality of handling and general floatiness of the controls? That should not be a thing.

Fuck SatSR, I think I hate it more than 06. :v: I'm really hoping you're wrong.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So that mobile gaming event turned out to be a non-event. We were promised news in January though so should still hear something soon.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Still plenty of time left in the month, but Sega also kind of has a pretty crappy history with following timetables.

Not that anyone here should be surprised by this revelation. :v:

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I just wonder why they bothered announcing the game without showing anything. It's just a mobile title, not like there needs to be a lot of hype over it.

Sega's product promotion strategies are weird. But again, nothing new there.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The excessive and rampant speculation is pretty funny. Even SEGA only really gave it a soft-announcement; it was at a public event, and they just casually said "it's coming, more info soon".

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's amazing that to this day Sonic games can still generate so much hype and buzz. Search for Sonic Runners on Twitter and you'll see so many people excited for the game and desperate for news. I think that Sonic's initial games were so good and so many people spent their childhoods playing them that a new Sonic game announcement is just something people get automatically excited for. I mean this is only a mobile title probably similar in scope to Sonic Dash; it's hardly a mainline Sonic Team game and yet people are still beyond hyped and excited for it.

Hoping we get some news and media before the month is out as Sega and Sonic Team promised.

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I'm just midly curious about Sonic Runner for one sole reason, and it's that SEGA's Japan Mobile strategy is pretty interesting and natural ( Chain Chronicle, for example), so I'm really curious on what they can do with the Sonic franchise Vs what Sega West has done with it.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well there's only one week left of January so we should be hearing something very soon. I could have swore the initial announcement stated that we'd be hearing some news before January is out. I'm surprised that Sega has been quiet for almost the entirety of this month so far. Even the release of the game is supposed to be not too far off (rumoured to be Summer I believe) so the hype machine should start soon.

Looking forward to seeing this game in motion. I'm hoping the promise of news in January is kept.

15. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I made the mistake of playing Sonic 3 again and letting that rekindle my interest in the series last month, so now I'm just bored and eager for something new to chew on. Lost World was awful and Boom is just... not even worth looking at, so.

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    January's twilight and still no hard news on Sonic Runners. I hope Iizuka keeps his promise of something by the end of January. For now though there's this:

Source

Sounds like he returned for Sonic Runners. Interesting. Looks like Sega's really throwing their weight behind this title. Makes me even more curious for news.

17. MamboCat

MamboCat

Old Fogey Member
    Prague
    STCO colouring!
    Hmm.. interesting.

Here's me hoping it would play a little bit like Robot Unicorn Attack! Constantly running to the right, loads of platforms floating about, rings to collect and you can either jump or spindash into things. Maybe different characters can do different stuff such as Knuckles can smash certain obstacles and so doesn't need to jump over everything... stuff like that.

Back when it was just news, I was kinda hoping that Sonic Dash would basically be Sketch-hog but done with shiny perhaps Jump-like graphics; maybe that's what Runners is going to be instead?! Being a mobile game, surely it's not going to be anything super dramatic?

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, given today's financial dump news, it looks like Runners is indeed this year's big title.

Too bad Sega is basically dead again.

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah. :( Looks like Sonic Runners is definitely this year's big Sonic title and would explain the mystery as to why Sonic Team is handling development. Posted something similar to this in the main Sega thread but ultimately I think you're correct. Sonic might be going mobile only for this year at least. I just wish we knew for definite whether Sonic's still going to get console games. That official statement from Sega Sammy is so vague. Sonic is being "reinforced" could theoretically mean mobile only as Sonic Runners indicates or potentially even more console Sonic games. We just don't know for definite. The official word is just so vague.

I just hope to God Sonic Boom isn't going to be the last console Sonic game ever. Such a low note to end on for such an iconic and legendary series.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gene's post was made when lots of speculation about what was gonna happen to Sonic was being made. Really though, Sonic likely won't be affected that much considering that it's mainly SEGA America and SEGA's arcade division getting cuts. I doubt that any Sonic games aside from Sonic Boom stuff are going to be cancelled, as they still generally sell well enough. If we're going to see less Sonic games, I think it's pretty likely that we're just going to not see any Sonic Boom games anymore aside from maybe on mobile.