don't click here

Sonic RPG now official

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    What about Katamari Damacy?

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I don't think I've ever heard of that. Sorry.

3. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    You've never heard of Katamari? That stupidly pointless game where you're a thing that rolls up trash and has the most bitchin'(not really, I just wanna say bitchin) voice acting ever?

4. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    I'm guessing this will be some top-down RPG in the likes of Pokemon!! It will sell millions!! You can use your Sonicballz to capture as many badniks and other creatures you can find - 150 in all! So that means we'll get what...100 new characters?

5. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    A collectible RPG wouldn't make any damn sense.

6. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

test-object's worst nightmare. Member
    California
    lrning2hack
    Hey, this sounds cool. Sonic may not be entirely fitting for an RPG, but I'm pretty sure it'll actually be a good game in general. BioWare is really, really good at this stuff. There is, still, however, a chance that Sega WILL INDEED pop their heads in and make the game at least 45% retarded.
    But BioWare has made some really good games- Baldur's Gate, for instance. Heck, I still play the second one even though it's just about 5 years old and not a Sonic game.
    BioWare will probably do this right. They could mess up, but they'll probably do it well- but I have to say the usual "this will suck" replies are actually funny on this one.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Ugh, what's next? A Sonic FPS?

I have high hopes, though.

8. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    While the story has the RPG trademark of a large threat that could destroy the entire planet (that could also apply to Sonic Adventure 2 in that case), the gameplay is more in tune with the "Action/Adventure" genre than a Role-Playing Game.

The main difference I can see is that majority of RPGs, Action RPGs or more "traditional" RPGs have the character traveling the game's world on a bigger map before shrinking down to the towns, castles, dungeons, or what have you (exceptions would include the Pokémon series and the Mother/EarthBound series... and the latest computer RPGs. :P )

There's also leveling up which is usually a requirement to be considered a RPG. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Terranigma, Quest 64 (even if it was only the elements you used to cast spells that got leveled up), and others all have that aspect regardless of whether they are Action RPGs or traditional turn-based RPGs. The only way that Sonic Adventure even came close to that was with upgrades.

And of course there's the Hit Points (Health Points, or what have you) that are only measured in Sonic Adventure as rings but he loses them all with a hit instead of having a smaller amount of damage done. It'd be closer (to a point) to compare Sonic's rings and Link's hearts (though some consider The Legend of Zelda to be an Action RPG somehow while others argue that it's a Action/Adventure game, perhaps due to the fact that at least Link 'levels up' in as far as he gains a bigger health meter after each dungeon boss).

In summary... Sonic Adventure is not a RPG nor comparable to one except for the story, perhaps. :P

9. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    sigh...

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Okay, then what about Sonic Battle? That game was fine...

11. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    ...that was, shockingly enough, a fighting game. Definitely not an RPG.

12. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Yeah, but couldn't you level up characters in Sonic Battle?

13. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Who said it was? If it were an RPG, this topic wouldn't exist (at least, not in the same context) because the idea of a Sonic RPG would be nothing new; and besides, if you could figure out a way to make turn-based combat with the ability cards that Emerl gets, you could actually make a decent enough RPG out of Sonic Battle.

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    A bad thought just went over my mind, thinking that the characters would get there attacks through the use of cards, like any other stupid piece of shit Japanese card fetish type. Being Bioware, I doubt it would happen, but Sega is powerful over it's property.

15. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    That doesn't make it an RPG, not on its own. Sonic Battle was a "3D" fighting game, nothing more.

Lostgame was presenting it as an alternative possibility of a past Sonic RPG game, after suggesting Sonic Adventure

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Wow, that sounded like saying 'Um... how about a cup of tea?' after getting continuously raped for an hour.

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Come on now, you can't deny that Battle had a few distinct RPG aspects; there was, first and foremost, the "leveling up" shtick with Emerl, and then you had the in-depth story and the overworld map where you traveled from one location to the next.

Hell, the only part of the game that was dissimilar to an RPG was the actual gameplay, but that doesn't count for much- I mean, the same could be said for Odin Sphere, which played more like a beat-em-up than anything, but are you going to tell me that wasn't an RPG?

18. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Again, leveling up itself doesn't mean anything.
    You can get an in-depth story out of a racing game, doesn't make it an RPG.
    And traveling from one place to another was no different from how you travel from one place to another in Sonic Advance 2.

...you mean the defining characteristic of an RPG?

Anyway, this is getting pretty far off-topic. Point is, Sonic hasn't done an RPG yet, this should be an interesting take on it.

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It's a fundamental concept of the RPG genre.

You mean 3, right? Either way, it was plenty different. Battle presents you with an overhead map, and while this isn't a necessary aspect of RPGs, it's a common one.

Okay, so you are going to tell me Odin Sphere isn't an RPG. See also:

Doesn't mention anything about turn-based battles being a requirement for an RPG. Odin Sphere isn't the only example of such a game- Brave Fencer Musashi, for one, is a platformer at it's core, but it's been officially regarded as an RPG. Hell, you could probably say Silhouette Mirage is an RPG to a certain extent, and that was a side-scrolling shoot 'em up. So yes, you very well could make an RPG out of a racer, if it was done right.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    By that Answers.com definition... just about any game could be an RPG.

Sonic Battle and Sonic Adventure have some RPG-esque qualities, but neither of them could be fairly called RPGs since they fit much better in to other genres.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.