don't click here

Sonic RPG Demo #3 Completed!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Superstrider, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superstrider

Superstrider

Oh, Hai Guyz!!! Member
    [​IMG]

After 2 long years... Demo #3 of my RPG Maker 2003 fan game is complete!!! For those of you who don't know, I've been working on this for the past 5 years. This demo covers the story up to the end of Chapter #15. Here are the new features in this Demo:

Revamped Sprites
    Status Disorders Clearly Defined
    Mini-Games (Such as Blue Sphere)
    Improved Dialogue (In later Chapters)
    Instruction Manual Included

Here is the download link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KK24VNLP

For those of you who have the previous version, you will have to delete it, and start over. Otherwise, there will be too many bugs that you will encounter.

One more thing, don't ask me how to install it. I suggest that you read the manual, since the instructions are included. This game runs on Windows.

Also, if the shortcut to the manual main page doesn't work for you, just open "manual.html" in the manual's root folder.

Tell me what you think!

Edit: A major bug with Demo 3 has been brought to my attention, therefore, I am releasing a patch that fixes it. Also, I have reuploaded Demo 3 and updated the link with the fixed version.

For the fixed RPG Demo:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KK24VNLP

For the Patch:
    http://superstrider.webs.com/Patch.7z

If you already have downloaded the bugged Demo, just download the patch and apply it to fix it. To Patch the RPG, copy the map files to the folder where you originally installed the game. You must overwrite the old map files. That fixes it.

Also, most of the dungeon mazes have been simplified with this patch, as well.

2. I can't play it, due to the fact when the talking (with tails) is done, sonic just keeps moving into a direction, and when I press a key he keeps moving into the same direction, and then I get stuck.

3. Superstrider

Superstrider

Oh, Hai Guyz!!! Member
    Where exactly does that happen? That's news to me... I've never encountered that problem.

It may be a problem with your keyboard.

4. When tails sais:
    "Be careful sonic"
    and stops talking.
    One time he walking in the direction of the door, then (in the second room) he kept walking in the same direction, so sonic made it to the third room, but after the item box, when you probably should walk down, sonic keeps moving into the same direction (up) which makes it impossible to get there.

I'm gonna try the game to on my laptop, to see if it works there.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Screenshots would be nice. I dislike downloading something without even knowing what I'm about to see.

6. Superstrider

Superstrider

Oh, Hai Guyz!!! Member
    It is a problem with your keyboard. I've seen people get farther than that.

For those of you who want screens, here's a few:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    If you got any controllers, steering-wheel-thingies etc. plugged in, you may wanna consider removing them from your PC when playing an RPG-Maker game, that should normally solve the problem.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm still downloading but from these screenshots I'm pretty sure I've got a good impression of the visual style of the game.

It's clearly a mess and I'm not sure if you're just using place holder art at the moment or if you're really going to go to use those tile sets. If you are then this is going to be one ugly game from start to finish.

Which is a shame because the battle background, despite looking like a pop up book, actually looks nice. If the rest of the game used a similar art style I'm sure it'll help the overall presentation.

Now as for the game itself, I mu- holy shit

[​IMG]

From a foreign language installation, a broken manual shortcut to a broken whatever. That thing just popped up endlessly.

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The Chaotix RPG was better.

10. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I... oh dear.
    It doesn't even work for me but from what I'm seeing here, this doesn't seem like the kind of game I'd enjoy.
    Why put Sonic in an RPG anyway? Sonic games are certainly not notorious for brilliant storytelling, and what part of it would have at least slightly Sonic-ish gameplay? Oh, I see the "blue Sphere in the first post.
    Is that some kind of Giant Sonic/Miniture level city?
    And to be honest, the Sonic artwork in the big advert-type-thing in the first post looks pretty terrible.
    Sorry I probably sound really mean here, but it seems to be the opposite of what I look for in a Sonic game.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Haha, what? High expectations over an RPG Maker game? Really?

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    If you're talking to me, this is the first I've heard of RPG maker, and I'll assume, without looking it up, that there are thousands of awful pokemon fangames?

13. There's probably more awful generic RPGs and RPGs that try to be "meta" by endlessly pointing out RPG tropes, but the availiability of a comprehensive and easy-to-use Pokémon kit for RPG Maker XP doesn't help on that aspect either.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Don't forget the thousands of shitty FF7 remakes/sequels/spinoffs.

15. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Yeah why not? I've seen some people use rpg maker well, including myself, and I think my rpg has used its full potential and is still improving.
    You can do some amazing things with rpg maker 2003, But I don't think this rpg has used its full potential... shame, it could really be a good rpg.

16. That was a legitimately unpleasant experience. I pushed all the way through Chapter 3 thinking that things would improve, and I thoroughly regret doing so. Here's why...

1) Dungeons were uninspired, boring, and extremely repetitive.
    2) Player and enemy abilities barely draw from the Sonic universe. Instead everyone uses default RPG Maker attacks like Fire, Ice, Bolt, etc.
    3) The storyline is basically Sonic X but with crappier dialogue, and Sonic X wasn't all that hot to start with.

There's very little original or creative content here. The story, graphics, and animations are all lifted from other media or included within RPG Maker itself. You've chosen quantity > quality, and the end result left me bored and unstimulated. If I were you, I'd scrap the project and start fresh. But before you do, play some more RPG titles and pay attention to what makes them fun/engaging.

17. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    This. Although might sound a little harsh, I think there were some home truths here. When I saw this rpg, I did have high expectations myself but was disapointed. I hope if you continue this, that you take these not as harsh remarks, but more as contrustive criticism and, so you know how you may improve. And perhaps you should try and do a custum battle system to make the battle even better.

18. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    That's a rather self-indulgent claim to m-
    Wait, what?
    Oh, well that suc-
    ...what? Too many contradictions.

This looks rather trashy. Ick.

19. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    1) I'm not boasting about my rpg, I am only going from what people have told me. My rpg is not perfect, but it has potential.
    2) The 'yeah I know its crappy' is in my sig. basically saying what it sais, the sig is crappy. what don't you get about that ? =P
    3) I am mearly stating, comparing my rpg as an example of how he could use rpg maker's full potential. I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, thats not my Idea at all.
    Heck, I'd even help him with it if he wants. And if anyone wants to see rpg vids of mine check my youtube channel.

20. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Fun fact: Even bioware, the king of non japanese RPGs, can't make a good Sonic RPG. It's impossible :|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.