don't click here

Sonic Rivals

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Moogs, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    A couple weeks ago I got a psp, and I want to know if any of you guys think Sonic Rivals is a good game, and worth picking up. Most videos I see on youtube seem slow and dull.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    <!--quoteo(post=331978:date=Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM:name=Commadoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Commadoo @ Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331978">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A couple weeks ago I got a psp, and I want to know if any of you guys think Sonic Rivals is a good game, and worth picking up. Most videos I see on youtube seem slow and dull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The second one is good, because it has freeplay where you don't have to deal with the stupid racing aspect.

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It's pretty fun, but yeah, It's a slower 2d section Sonic Unleashed.

4. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=331983:date=Jul 18 2009, 11:00 AM:name=Lobotomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Jul 18 2009, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331983">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's pretty fun, but yeah, It's a slower 2d section Sonic Unleashed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfortunately, it's fast enough to make it hard to play on the PSP due to the ghosting effect. =/

Not bad though, but yeah, Rivals 2 is much better.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    <!--quoteo(post=332028:date=Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM:name=Kurosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurosan @ Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332028">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=331983:date=Jul 18 2009, 11:00 AM:name=Lobotomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Jul 18 2009, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331983">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's pretty fun, but yeah, It's a slower 2d section Sonic Unleashed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfortunately, it's fast enough to make it hard to play on the PSP due to the ghosting effect. =/

Not bad though, but yeah, Rivals 2 is much better.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ghosting was fixed in PSP-3000, too bad the screen had plenty of other problems as a tradeoff.

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I like the ghosting effect. It's a really nice motion blur affect when testing my Sonic Fangame. =[

Also, Rivals is just the 2D aspect on Sonic Unleashed so if you enjoyed that, then you'd probably enjoy this. ;)

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    While I haven't played either Rivals games in a long time (I don't have a PSP anymore) I thought the first one was better. It just seemed to have better 'level gimmicks' and better level design. The 'free play' in Rivals 2 is definitely a much needed feature. I wish I could play them both again so I could cite some examples.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

O'Doyle rules! Member
    GA
    I enjoyed both for the most part. The racing thing does get old and annoying, and some of the versus games in Sonic Rivals 2 were just....meh. I also really enjoyed bosses in both games.

I'm both disappointed and relieved there wasn't a third.

I'd play one of them now, but I can't be bothered to charge my PSP, and it's probably dead.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    First one was good, second one is shit.

10. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I'd say they're both worth it, particularly if you can pick them up cheap pre-owned from Gamestop or the like.

I preferred the first one, both 'cos the last boss is more interesting AND (more importantly) because we learn that the Master Emerald is temporally transcendental, in the style of Solaris. :eng101:

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Personally, I don't like them all that much. Sure, the level design is great with branching paths and all, but I have two main complaints:

1. Save for the special moves, all the characters play exactly the same. That includes the homing attack. Since when can the entire cast do that? At least give them different standard abilites. I don't want to have to fill a special meter just to have Tails fly.

2. It's way too slow. Once you get a boost of speed, you immediately start to slow down. It's not momentum-based either - try doing a roll down a slope, see how fast you go. You need the speed pads to gain any sort of speed whatsoever, because the spindash only does so much.

My final verdict is it's okay. It's far from perfect.

12. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    <!--quoteo(post=332153:date=Jul 19 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Jul 19 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332153">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That includes the homing attack. Since when can the entire cast do that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sonic Heroes - when you do a Homing Attack, the others do it, too.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Only in speed formation though, mind you. :P Still, most of the attacks had some sort of homing property.

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

I played the first one, and thought it was a fun game. I do agree though the whole racing aspect does get old and it'd be nice if it had a free-roaming option like 2 apparently has.

15. I don't love either of them, but I do like the second one better (more levels, more playable characters, ect)

16. Cap

Cap

Personally I always preferred the look and feel of the first one. The QTE's felt much better in Rivals 1, and the special moves and power ups where much better. But Rivals 2 has more characters which is kinda nice. Still, I preferred the levels from Rivals 1 as well, the junkyard and space levels where just awesome.

But no doubt about it, if you have a PSP, you should play both Sonic Rivals games. Good buy for any sonic fan.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not sure about Rivals 2 (as I haven't played it), but the original was a "hold-right" fest. Pretty nice art style, though.

18. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    I enjoyed the first game quite a bit and felt that it had some slick stages, though I didn't like the liberties they took with Eggman Nega's character. Whereas he was merely an alternate version of and a cooperative accomplice to Eggman in the Rush titles, Rivals made him out to be a subversive decendent that thinks of the standard Eggman to be a shameful joke. What the hell...

Silver being in the game was annoying as well, and as an amnesiac no less.

Haven't played the second one.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=332926:date=Jul 20 2009, 07:54 PM:name=corneliab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (corneliab @ Jul 20 2009, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332926">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rivals made him out to be a subversive decendent that thinks of the standard Eggman to be a shameful joke. What the hell...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see the problem.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I was actually considering playing the Rivals titles since I'd heard they were actually pretty good.

Now that I've heard they play like Unleashed I'm having serious second thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.