don't click here

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Another Sega epic fail?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D-Man, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-Man

D-Man

the americone dream Member
    Now, I've played through the first Sonic Riders and I thought the concept was great, but the game play was crappy due to the extreme loss of control, the sound track was iffy, but the new characters and cut scenes weren't bad. Since I've never played the SRZG, I'm now wondering if it's as bad as the first, worse than or better. Does anybody really know for sure?

2. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Personally, I thought Zero gravity was a huge improvement from the first. If you can pick it up for a cheap price, you might as well. Kept me busy for a few days.

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    It seems easier in most modes, other than the main VS. mode... I'd say it's a pretty solid game. While the gravity concept is really neat and does help (especially in Vs. Mode), it doesn't quite feel the same without the air meter and pit stops to balance things out... As a pro, there aren't really any bottomless pits that you randomly fall into like many times in the original, and I guess controls aren't really as slippery. Cons include lamer boss battle and final stages, no multiple tricks (you get one trick per ramp -_-), and general lack of challenge... really. :\ And of course, no live online adds to the suck factor. But I still think it's worth picking up - the tutorial mode actually helps you a lot, since the game is pretty complex. The GameCube control layout is the best. The mission mode is fun and should keep you occupied for a good while after clearing the main story, in addition to all the unlockable vehicles - some of which look really cool.

There are also no more of those "lol lets be Mario Party" moments where you have to rotate the control stick as fast as possible, which I personally like, because it means less wear-and-tear on your hand and the controller in general. But then again, this is all coming from someone, who, while frustrated at many points with the original, actually enjoyed it.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I enjoyed the original Sonic Riders game on GC. It was a good game.

Edit: now that I remember it, those scooter thingies were the best vehicles to win.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think Sonic Riders: ZG is a good game. With online versus, it could have been a great game. Heh, being able to take the shortcuts without a gear change is a massive advantage.

6. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

I had much fun on the first Sonic Riders. I thought Zero Gravity was an ok game but not as good as the first game.

7. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    All I know is the plot; the plot's garbage. The game itself? Eh. I'm sure it's a servicable racing game, but I prefer car or Sonic R style racing.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Of course the plot's garbage. The game itself... yeah, it's easier to say the least. Controls are slightly more refined, but I liked being able to do my own tricks in mid air. One thing I have noticed is the game automatically ramps up the difficulty to a very hard level if you unlock Super Sonic. Super Sonic himself is also significantly more garbage than his Riders 1 style. Instead of having all ability shortcuts available to him, he uses the power of speed only and when you gather 60 rings, he goes into an auto dash mode that hextuples your ring loss count. The problem is this is done automatically and you can't cancel the effect. Gravity moves also seriously dent the ring meter (Super Sonic doesn't have his own gravity meter. Everything relies on ring power.)

9. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I've never played Sonic Riders 2, and I have no plans of ever doing so. I hated the first one with a passion, and I hate the fact that sequel even exists.

10. Silver Dreams

Silver Dreams

lol, Forum Drama Member
    Scooter type gears? What Riders game were YOU playing? Skate-type gears were the best.

11. D-Man

D-Man

Cool, thanks for the info, I think I might check the game out due to all the positive feedback. Since I did sort of enjoy the first, I think I might have some fun with this one, but I'll be sure to buy it used from gamestop.

12. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Well I am really impressed on how it performed on PS2, these types of games rare kinda rare, I reckon Zero Gravity is one of the best hoverboard games ever made.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Zero Gravity was a great game in my opinion. The only things I didn't like is that it was a bit easy, but then again, the original got annoying at times =P Only other thing is Super Sonic still isn't that good. But it is fun to win grand prix running at times. Shows how easy the game can be XD

14. tech3475

tech3475

Personally I think Sonic Riders may have been different were it NOT a sonic game. It's a case of trying to sell an rubbish/mediocre game through a well-known character (e.g. mean bean machine and possibly spinball).

15. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I bit my tongue off playing the first. I'd rather not swallow it playing the second.

16. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Sonic R was actually pretty great. But it only felt like half a game. It'd be good to release a new one but it'd be all NEW SONIC. If they just included Shadow and Rouge and maybe Blaze as unlockables it would be okay though.

17. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I guess it depends on your personal playing style and preference.
    With the scooters, I could win with my eyes closed.

18. D-Man

D-Man

Now Sonic R was indeed a good. Yeah, it was a little, well very short and choppy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Sonic R would be perfect with 8-10 more courses and maybe three more characters. Maybe if the controls were slightly tighter too.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't think R needed more characters. It just needed a bit more balancing, specifically for Amy and Robotnik. Egg Robo and Tails Doll could have also used some buffing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.