don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    When he was younger, it had stopped by the time of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) itself, since the manual only ever refers to it in past tense and says he was bullied "when he was little".

I was also referring to Sonic actually helping stop the bullying, since that was never a thing, as Sonic X also depicts him getting bullied just before he sees Sonic, but Sonic doesn't see it and doesn't intervene.

But let's leave this at that, this topic often gets out of hand.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I mean that's splitting hairs if I ever saw it. But there *is* a continuity thread for this kind of tomfoolery :V

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Are things like the password and very cheap sprite animations what passes for fan service? That shit doesn't come close to cutting it.

4. MH MD

MH MD

It is fanservice, like no doubt about it, also the existence of characters like big and rouge -since the thing that basically started this whole discussion is the lamentation that there aren't specific characters like Blaze and Omega, can't see why those specific characters account as fanservice while other characters not as much-.

now, whether you think it's GOOD fanservice is another matter

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, they're fanservice nods. Small things, but fanservice none-the-less.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Big and Rouge are fan service. Things that actually matter are fan service.

Inconsequential Easter Eggs that say "I looked up Sonic on Wikipedia last week" aren't winning any points. I feel the same way about the Sonic movies referencing other Eggman outfits on a screen for 0.5 seconds. Actually do something meaningful with the material you're referencing, or don't bother. Prime on the whole feels incredibly authentic as a Sonic TV series. But the cheap references do nothing.

7. Honestly, seeing badniks (more than Motobugs), mention of flickies, the 1998 reference were Big made his debut in Sonic Adventure, Spindash and even Eggman give name to his creations were enough to makes me happy. That's the kind of thing I wanted to see in a Sonic show (I know Tysson shorts did this, but then again, they were shorts..). I don't know, I feel like we got a lot of fanservice, but of course I want more as well - I wanna see more stages than Green Hill, more characters, mention of past events from the games and etc. But still, I'm happy with what we got.

Guess we just have to wait if they're putting more stuff.

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Sonic Prime is good (+1 for subtle easter eggs) but nowhere near as stylish as some older games. I see it as the next step for Sega in narrowing down what fans really want. I'm at episode 3.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just watched the 8 episodes which are currently out.

Eh, it's ok. Interesting premise, even if everyone is doing parallel universes these days.

Also, I hate cliffhangers. I know there are more episodes to come, but I hoped that each batch could cover a separate story, like, say, Wednesday had a cliffhanger too, but at least she solved the murder.

10. Taylor

Taylor

I don't really care about the subtle nods or whatever, but substantial stuff like Big/Rouge coming back is pretty cool.

11. The only bit I ain't a fan of here is having to wait until who knows when to continue watching. My 5 year old nephew also really loves it and has me play an episode for him every day before dinner.

12. Kyro

Kyro

Thats wholesome i love it

But yeah me and all my friends i watched it with are in the same boat. It would help i guess to know how long we'll be waiting for the next batch but it really sucks that we just just have to sit on our hands now for the next third of episodes

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Since we got 8 episodes, which might normally be spread across 8 weeks, 2 months.

14. I really hope after the ACTUAL Season 1 ends, Netflix won't pretend this show didn't exist, like they did with other animated shows. Thankfully tho, this show have been a good sucess for now.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It will be random.

For example, Cuphead had six months before the second drop but only three for the third, and despite many episodes already being completed broke all of that up into three "seasons" so far despite 40 episodes of something already being made.

So I fully expect the next batches to be called "Season 2" and "Season 3" respectively.

16. I have to check out Cuphead. Finally got around to buying and beating the game and the DLC on Switch a few months ago.

I hope the cartoon is pretty decent. I didn’t pay much attention to the characters outside of the main 2 + the old guy and the chick from the DLC lol. I’m curious how you could adapt the boss levels into stories.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's just slapstick.

I personally don't like it and only watched Season 2 because the first season ended with a "To be continued" and I won't be watching season 3 which is already out.

You might like it though. It's not like show didn't have me laughing at parts of it.

18. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    What's the difference between fan service and Easter eggs? Because to me, the show threw a few Easter eggs like with tails code and big citizen number.

The Flicky, being Amy friend I thought was a reference to SA, where she became friends with Gamma. Is it the same bird? Is it a fan service? I thought that including Shadow in the show was a Fanservice - he doesn't do anything important, yet he's here

Also, it doesn't help that the term "Fanservice" reminds me mostly of the early 2000, and inserting anime boobs everywhere.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Fanservice is a broad term that covers a lot of things. Easter Eggs are a form of fanservice, since they're sprinkled in for fans to find.

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Knowing netflix, they'll likely try to milk sonic prime to get us to come back as often as possible. they did the same with Voltron the Legendary defender too ,and it shows in the dvd episode listings.