don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    This almost seems like a logical conclusion at this point, haha. I'm not sure the different Sonics are unique enough, but if they played up their differences it could work for a Season. They could collapse them into Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, American Sonic (Sat AM and Adventures of...), Japanese Sonic, Scarf Sonic...

My only wish for this 3D CGI show is the same as always: Atmosphere and form of the Peanuts movie, surrealist aesthetic styling of Eyvind Earl, and set in the universe of the classics...

[​IMG]

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  3. RDNexus

RDNexus

I could say "Thank Goodness" it ain't based on the IDW Comics.
    But without knowing what it may entail, one can hope or fear...

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    So no ridiculously long and drawn out Metal Virus Arc? Sweet!

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Not that I ever entertained the notion that this show could be based on the IDW comics, but thinking about it now that would have been quite nice. Even if the comics aren't perfect, I really enjoy them and find them much more in line with what I want out of Sonic than Boom, the movie or the games from 2010 onwards. And just because the Metal Virus storyline was drawn out excessively in the comics, that doesn't mean that it would have to be in an animated adaptation.

I'm still hoping that this new show is more based around the games and their continuity than the movie or anything else entirely new. X is still my favourite Sonic cartoon in large part due to just how much it drew from the games and had a continuous plot. It was cut from the same cloth as the games, whereas all of the other cartoons, good or bad, might as well have not been Sonic.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Fair enough, but while Team Mania managed to make Oil Ocean actually fun, I was still pissed when I found out it was in Mania. They might make it work, but it's far from guaranteed, and skepticism never hurt anyone.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Wait... Now I'm lost. What does Mania and Team Mania have to do with this series?

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

He's saying that you can dislike the source material and feel differently about an adaptation of it. And despite feeling differently about it, you still might prefer it was not related. That's what the situation was with him regarding Oil Ocean in Mania, and what the theoretical case could be if this show adapted the IDW comics.

9. Graxer

Graxer

Yeah, I would be surprised if it was, partly because the IDW comics are US only (I think... I know they replaced the Archie comics which were US only) so it would alienate almost all fans from outside the US and any from the US who didn't read the comics. I imagine it will probably be in the "continuity" from the mainline games or an entirely new one like both the movies (OVA and 2020) were.

But what I actually want is a full-blown series of Mania Adventures.

10. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    They're also published in Japan.

11. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I wasn't really expecting a straight adaptation of the IDW comics, and I think that's probably for the best. All the latest non-game Sonic media (including Mania Adventures, the IDW comics themselves, movie, etc.) have gone with their own unique stories. I don't think I would have minded an adaptation since I like the IDW comics a lot, but it's always nice to see new things. (or new takes on old things, i.e. I still think it's so cool that Mighty and Ray were brought back for Mania Plus / Adventures, lol)

The only Sonic-based show I really closely followed was Sonic X when I was growing up, and I enjoyed that. Most Sonic shows seem to have been serviceable in their own ways, so I'm interested to see how it all pans out. Definitely looking forward to the actual announcement.

12. XAndrew

XAndrew

I have no problems with them not following the IDW comics, so as long as what they make have the same feel as the IDW comics and not have Sega try to force the writers the change things to their liking, like they been known to do.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    They're published in Japan, France, Spain and a few other countries though.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Glad at least someone confirmed this! I'm expecting a redesign that's more in line with the games, cause Netflix straight-out adapting the modern Sonic style would be too much of a surprise.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Yes, they're here, I've seen them on stores, an that's something that, AFAIK, never happened with any of the previous comics, be them US or UK (and no, I haven't bought them, I'm probably not that big of a Sonic fan. :ssh:)

16. Frostav

Frostav

17. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm glad it won't be based on the comics. I don't dislike the IDW comics per se, but it certainly isn't my ideal so far, and I'd much rather see something new. Any chance for a new Sonic thing that doesn't have the Deadly Six in it is a plus, so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Since it's gonna be 3D animated (sadly), I hope they make new models for the characters that look better than the current game models.

18. Nova

Nova

Partly this, partly realizing there would be a lot of difficulty rolling established canon in with whatever canon the comics have. The one time we had to fix this issue was the launch of IDW and setting it post-Forces but it seems like they've no intention of linking things up, so...

19. MH MD

MH MD

That's obviously the case, that's why we got Sonic Boom, Sonic Movie, Sonic Mania, Sonic racing games from Sumo Digital,this new sonic cartoon from Man of Action, and they changed the base of operations for all sonic related things to USA......oh wait..

20. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

A cartoon sharing canon with a comic book doesn't do either one any favors anyway, tbh. Both need to be able to grow and progress in their own timeframes and play to their own strengths and limitations.