don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • List
  2. Flare

Flare

They censor men's nipples on RuPaul's Drag Race IF they have wigs on... I'm not saying censorship is good but it's TV... there are rules in different countries they will be making this for so it's less of a decision the team behind the show made on their own to ruin the character.

Also... Rouge should be more than just big tits on a bat.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    She still has breasts you just can't see them.

What even is this complaint??

4. They gotta hang man.

On a more serious note, here are my thoughts.

Animation wise, this is the best looking Sonic show ever. Just the right amount of energy and bounce I expect from these character designs. Really hope they take advantage of it. The tweaks to the designs also help...if off.

Devon Mack and Brian Drummond are fine in their roles, although they are very clearly channeling Roger Craig Smith and Mike Pollock. That's fine and I kind if figured they would for consistency. Although it's weird how much fans are saying how much better Devon is despite that.

The plot looks whatever; the multiverse concept has been played out in recent years, but I'm not gonna complain too much about that, but the lack of innovation doesn't excite me either. Wish they could have leaned more into a more Sonic esq premise. The visuals aren't helping with that either.

Rouge being part of the main cast is the biggest outlier here and honestly, I'm fine with it. She never really gets a chance a to shine unless she's with Shadow, who himself makes sparse appearances. If Sega are committed to keeping Shadow as a loner who acts on his own prerogative, then Rouge needed to go somewhere. And while she might lose some of her own unique traits in the process, it does at least let her interact with the main group for an extended period of time for some fresh interactions, something this franchise has been sorely missing.

Its looks aight, I'll probably binge it over a weekend when it drops. If nothing else it looks better than Boom, but that isn't a high bar to clear either.

5. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    She's literally never been treated like that. She's always been a strong independent character with her own goals and desires.

She was literally the TEAM leader in Team Dark in Sonic Heroes. What is your point?

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I feel like Devon Mack is channelling Jason Griffith a bit more than RCS personally. His voice felt nostalgic in a way RCS' doesn't.

7. Flare

Flare

My point is over fan criticism about her design change covering her up breasts... as if that has made her character worse... which implies that was at least part of her character.

I never said the creators treat Rouge that way, I literally quoted someone asking why they bothered hiding her breasts. My point is... why does it matter? Tails got a t-shirt... no one will EVER mention that as being a weird decision for his design.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly if they needed another female character to balance out the cast I don’t see why they couldn’t have used Cream or even Tangle.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Because Cream's personality didn't fit the kind of dynamic they wanted to have on screen, probably.

Rouge can fluster knuckles, tease shadow, mentor Amy, and kick ass all on her own. She's a perfect fit, really.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is just a multiversal variant of Rouge from a universe where there's less hormones in the water, your beloved DDD-rated Rouge is still fine back at home, breast assured!

The show looks fun, kinda cool to be looking forward to a new Sonic cartoon for the first time since X (before realizing X wasn't that good lol)

11. The only thing about Rouge being part of the group that feels off is that while she's not as antisocial as Shadow, she's still self-centered and doesn't strike me as the type to hang out unless there was something in it for her.

So losing that bit of moral ambiguity from her would be sad. But Rouge doesn't do much anyway nowadays, and if they're gonna commit to Shadow being a loner, then this is a net positive for Rouge as she finally gets to shine without him.

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think the music is awful, but the show looks awesome.

knax.gif
    When was the last time Knuckles looked this cute?

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Music in Netflix trailers tends to not actually be from the shows, yeah? I remember being weirded out by how Bojack season 5 was presented back when it was coming out.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It's not just Netflix. I hear it in commercials and trailers all the time. It triggers the heck out of me (like the infamous "What is this place?" phrase). It's always NOT a good sign.

15. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
  16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  17. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    You don't

18. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Delete.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've always been a pretty big fan of Rouge. One of the main reasons that I like X is because it largely put forward Sonic, Knuckles and Rouge as three different factions fighting against Eggman. They were the main characters involved in the action. It was a strong dynamic. Rouge was still true to her character as an anti-hero though.

I'm really glad, and very surprised, to see that she's a main character in Prime. She was a supporting character in 06 but has barely been seen since then. The problem is just how she's going to fit into this new series. Rouge usually fights on the side of good, but not for good reasons. She's selfish, self-absorbed and totally obsessed with treasure. That's always her goal. Not to mention she and Knuckles and are always at each others throats unless they have literally no other option. Why would she be party of Team Sonic? I hope she's not been sanitised.

Her new outfit is rocking BTW.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I fully expect her to be "sanitised", but I don't think that's gotta be a bad thing. I have faith she'll be right for the show they're making.

I'd prefer her to be more specifically morally ambiguous, but I'm fine if she's more explicitly "good" too.