don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Frostav

Frostav

My point was that Nintendo had eventually made a completely messed up timeline to the point where their response was to just not give a damn (and make a book too I guess), much like how Sonic Team's loose adherence to any strict continuity and whether modern Sonic was classic Sonic but older or an entirely different character from a different dimension has them in a corner too (and their response is to just not care or bring it up). Something that should be obvious if you actually read what I posted, to be frank.

2. So how about them VA changes

3. Everyone is leaving lol. If Mike pollock goes, they'll be hard pressed to find someone as good as he was.

4. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sonic as a whole is changing...
    Better pray it'll be for the better.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    You can be Frank, Jim and Sally for all I care, it doesn't make your comparison analogous. I've also already stated that imo it's not necessary to reconcile things, and Zelda is proof of that. Further, Zelda continuously reinvents the series while staying true to it's tenants, whereas you literally threw a fit several pages back saying that if Sega made serious revisions to Sonic, you and your ilk would leave forever. I would say good riddance, you continuously advocate for Sonic to continue in this languishing state of diminishing returns, and if Zelda listened to fans like you we wouldn't have Botw. Whereas I, despite several revolutions to Sonic, have managed to stick around since the very beginning.

Anyway...

Does anyone aside from Frostav have opinions on the change of voice actors? Anyone actually looking forward to this? I'll say that I personally have not been fond of the last few variants in Sonic's voice. It's been too "radical" and snarky, and... deep, for my liking. What I liked about Jaleel was that Sonic sounded kind of young, and a bit androgenous (he may be male but he isn't human). Roger Craig Smith seems like a nice guy, and he's talented for sure, but his voice is just too "mature" and "surfer" to fit my vision of Sonic. Ben Schwartz was actually a great change to me. His voice is softer and less grading, whereas Craig's voice was sort of emblematic of Sega drinking their own kool-aid. What I mean by that is... Sega sold this image of Sonic being "all about speed", and "in your face - cocky", but that was a bit superficial. In reality the games "used to" be more about momentum based platforming, with stretches of high speed being a reward. Likewise, if you got to know Sonic beyond the face-value marketing, he was a caring and sympathetic character, but self-assured. I just don't think that aspect of his personality comes through with Craig's version, but did feel this way about Schwartz. Craig made Sonic sound like a 30+ chainsmoking laborer, whereas Schwartz made Sonic sound like an endearing teenager, which is how I see Sonic.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I posted about this in the other topic but yes call me cautiously optimistic about this. I didn't care for a lot of the former voice actors, even if they were better than the 4kids ones. Hopefully it comes with better voice direction though because God was Forces' voice acting awful.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I hope so. Because besides the Adventure 1/2 and Battle arcs in Sonic X the shows have been so far removed from the source that it's insane.

8. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    I said this in the other thread, but I have a few things to add as well more in relation to the show. The show will probably have different voice directors to the games, which means that hopefully, the new voice cast has a good director to really make them shine. The previous VAs were *fine*, but my main issue was their direction. Hopefully with the show having different teams working on it, that it means we're gonna get slightly more focus on the characters and how they sound.

Cautiously optimistic. Even more so if the show is based off the game; the shakeup might actually mean the voice directors and such are shared for the games too, which *would* be a welcome change not only for the show, but for the games too. Bit early to say to what extent though currently.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A games-based show for me would be for me the best scenario. The film deviated far too far away from that.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Considering the massive shakeup happening on every level before the 30th anniversary, I think I'd want to know what the game will be like first before we jump to how much we want the cartoon to reflect it. We're supposed to be getting a mainline game this year, yes?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We are. Weird how we know about a show coming out in 2022 but not a game coming out in 2021.

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Really, the deciding difference between a faithful Sonic show and an ungrateful one for me is how bogged down by extraneous characters it is. I don't necessarily need something 1:1 with the games, but so much of X, Underground, the movie and even SatAM was spent on people I just didn't give a shit about. Even as someone who likes the freedom fighters, that was only after the comics brought them in-line with the games, not the reverse.

Okay, I guess I also need it to give more of a shit about what it's supposed to be than AoSth too.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    The guy said there's already one universe, so I'd suppose whichever has happened or is going to happen in the games counts as a single universe as a whole, and the rest of the multiverse will be uncharted land, not past versions from other media. Maybe Classic and Boom show up as separate universes, but that's as far as I'd think they'd go; the rest I expect to be new stuff.

Have you watched "Teen Titans Go! Vs. Teen Titans"? The regular show of Teen Titans Go sometimes references a previous, more serious animated series of Teen Titans and they also do a lot of alternate versions of the characters depending on the situation. In that movie, though, the teams from both TV shows team-up and visit a lot of alternate universes and, in the end, they bring together an insane amount of different versions of the team that look like any kind of 2D animation style ever done (very funny when they go through the universe of the comic pages).

Sonic Prime could do something like that; maybe not so bizarre, maybe not that many Sonics, but something that plays with the idea that not every iteration of Sonic has to be the same and there's space for every version to exist. Now that I think of it, additional versions from the games could indeed show up: Sonic the Rabbit, Sonic the Sketch-hog, Sonic the Werehog (permanent form), Sonic the Chao (a chao universe!)... What I don't expect is stuff from alternate media except maybe some Sonic X since that show was the only other one with a link to the games and a meaningful supervision from Sega.

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    (flashes back to entire third season taking place in space)

YES PLEASE

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Gonna quote myself from just one page ago.

Knew this would get around regardless. lol

16. I was waiting for that lol ;)

17. Wildcat

Wildcat

It’s the same tweet but the games taking the spotlight was a given. There’s so much to use from the games alone. I’m just really curious how it’s gonna become the multiverse.

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Eureka!

If the games also have different dimensions, then perhaps this will be implemented similar to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. I haven't played this game myself, but from what I see there is this mechanic where portals are opened up and the characters immediately traverse from one area to another through a portal, in real time. This is also basically what we saw in the movie, so running through a giant ring from one zone/universe to another, at Sonic speed, would be pretty exhilarating. This wasn't possible on previous hardware, and we all know how Sonic games are always trying to push console capabilities. Although I do hope they slow it down a little so more people can enjoy the games. I wonder if Ben Schwartz will be the voice actor then? This creates synergy with the movie, and he already has experience in cartoons, like DuckTales...

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol Sonic hasn't pushed any console since Unleashed, maybeeeee Generations (essentially Unleashed but toned back a bit so it'd actually function on consoles at the time). Then Sonic was relegated to budget titles and there was no console pushing to speak of