don't click here

Sonic Pocket Adventure Prototype Research

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mastered Realm, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Don't get your hopes up. No new rom, and probably it's lost forever.

So, while I was browsing IGN inorder to know how to unlock the soundtest, and accidentally ended up on the screenshots tab (I'll post the one that took my attention first):

[​IMG]

Seeing those were protoshots, I searched aaaaaaaaalll the web and found 4 15 more than the ones on IGN , including three in pixel perfect form on this archived GameSpy page:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Then I started to think! Hmm! The resolution of this system is very low! Would it be possible for someone to reconstruct the art using the bad-quality images we have? I tried and enhanced the common method of recreating art from bad screens (which was done many times before), but this guarantees more accuracy.

So I'll post my results:

[​IMG]

So what did I do? It's a processes that has some similarities with reverse engineering!

1 - First you have to get the picture you want to reconstruct, let's call it 'bad.jpg', and open it in Photoshop (sorry, Linux users, I've never used GIMP :V).

2 - Now you take one of the level maps Rolkien made and open it in another tab, and double click the layer and it gets unlocked (so you can move the original image parts that were cropped into the artboard again) (you have to click OK).

3 - Crop the image to the resolution of the screen 160x152px

4 - Move the image around so you feel it's the EXACT same spot (it's a bit tricky but you'll do it :D).

5 - Save that as a psd file. Let's call the file 'recon.psd'

6 - Go to the bad.jpg tab and place recon.psd over the image. Adjust the placed file proportion to match the aspect ratio of bad.jpg, even if it's the wrong one. After you place it, it'll be a "Smart Object". KEEP IT THAT WAY.

7 - Go to Filters, Blur, Motion Blur. Some 1~2px blur at 0 degrees will do for this case! And readjust the image because the blur actually makes it look it changed place.

8 - It's time to start drawing!

First, click on the smart object layer with the right button and select "EDIT CONTENT". A new tab will be opened. The original screen you cropped is there... intact! So you can place a pixel, SAVE (no need to close it) and check how it looks with all the scaling and blur. That guarantees almost perfect renditions, the thing that removes the details, is the Composite video degradation :(/>. Do all the modifications in other layers, so you won't need to redo the transparencies for exporting the art! (TIP: If for some reason the smart object stop being edited, close the other tab and repeat the EDIT CONTENT process!)

That's it!

I made some gifs to show how accurate you can go (yeah I repositioned all the enemies and hud items):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But you don't need to add all elements! Just having the exact spot is enough:
    [​IMG]

HERE (now edited to include alpha screens) is a pack with all the images from the prototypes I could find, plus the comparison gifs, plus the reconstructed shots in 160x152 and all the sprites separated into small png files with transparency, just for archival. There are actually two known protos as there are two different Tornadoes shown there.

Why did I do all this? Dunno, I don't quite understand myself hahahahaha.

Also, check out IGN videos for Pocket adventure (on youtube, they're broken on their site). More changed sprites and objects.

EDIT:

Found 10 alpha screens from the game. and this:

[​IMG]

And see what we've got here!

[​IMG]

MOTOBUG! :D

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I remember discovering those poses awhile back, but never bothered to try to recreate them. Glad to see some research for Pocket Adventure is resurfacing. :)

Love the gif that has some very early level design too.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, the running sprites have black eyes.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Not a surprise. The front-facing floating sprite still have black eyes. They were probably all black eyed.

[​IMG]

5. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

UK
    I just don't understand why this game hasn't been rereleased. I'm dying to play it and I hate resorting to emulators.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
  7. Hukos

Hukos

You could always stalk ebay for one if you're that hesitant to use an emulator.

8. Sey

Sey

I got a Neo Geo for a fiver and a boxed, mint SPA for about 20 quid on EBay.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Hmm this may be interesting for the Wiki too:

[​IMG]

10. Myriad

Myriad

Forgot what did.
    Project: Blue Blur
    Sonic Pocket Adventure is certainly one of the more obscure members of the Sonic series, and actually a personal fave of mine. Anyways, it's nice to see it getting more of the spotlight, and whatever the case, finding out more about prototypes is always an interesting procedure. Great work you've got going there!

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Why hasn't this been brought up until now? :O. I mean, the maps are on our wiki but nobody mentioned that faces!

[​IMG]

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It has been mentioned before, but it's still cool to remember it.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I only notice the Eggman face when I play it. Neat little easter egg.

14. nesboy43

nesboy43

This game is worth owning the system for if you are a classic Sonic fan, amazing how they made a traditional Sonic game in 1999 and it played excellently. Also it was made by Dimps. The proto screenshots look very interesting.

15. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    It's a short, downgraded rehash of Sonic 2 with S3&K music.

The NGPC is worth owning for SNK vs. Capcom. Definitely not for Sonic.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  17. Vangar

Vangar

Nice work Master Emerald for the map! Very interesting screens here. That zone select screen, is that in-game or is that the one you see when you activate debug in the final? I can't remember...

18. nesboy43

nesboy43

I understand your point but the level design is completely different. I know the game is far from original, but I see nothing wrong with a rehash if it's classic Sonic and the gameplay is still fun. I agree SNK vs Capcom is awesome though, I also like Metal Slug First Mission on that system. The analog stick is the best I've used on any portable system.

Excellent discoveries and great work!

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...But it's not analog, is it?

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    No, it's the same kind of stick as the Neo Geo CDZ controller.