Sonic Physics Guide

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    From memory, you'll want to not use Unity's built-in physics. I implemented the physics in Unreal Engine 4, and the biggest issue I had for a while is that you couldn't change the direction of gravity for a single object - something that, iirc, Unity doesn't let you do at run-time on a per-object basis either.

I could be completely wrong, but it's something worth looking into imo.

2. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I've actually been avoiding using Unity physics where possible aside from raycasting purely to replace the sensors, not even a rigidbody. Just tile colliders and raycasting.

It is a bit surprising that there isn't a proper 2D implementation of Sonic physics for Unity and/or UE4 out there. Dash Engine for UE4 supposedly has one, but I cannot for the life of me get Dash Engine's arcane build process to work properly, so I can't test it.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Sweet merciful jesus, yes... I wish you were around to do this back when I first started working on my own engine in 2010. I'm combing through it now, and it is a massive improvement.

Maybe now some of these Sonic Worlds engines can actually get their goddamn physics right instead of feeling janky and floaty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    This is why I'm having the engine being completely rewritten from scratch using this guide as a basis. :O