Sonic Physics Experts

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Overbound, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I need maybe 2 or 3 trustworthy people who think they have a good feel for Sonic physics and would be able to spend a little time testing in game physics for me. This means maybe testing out two or more engines until it feels right. Please understand I'm not really looking for someone to go through the actual numerical Sonic physics with me I can do that myself with the physics guide. Anyways Sonic Dash the engine I'm using already uses most of the correct values, yet it still feels off in some ways. Which is why I want testers who have played the Genesis games and really know what they should feel like.

Aim or MSN is a requirement I wish to be able to talk back and forth for a bit, and you will need to be able to play the Sonic Time Twisted demo from last year which you can find in my signature at full speed 60 FPS. If interested you can reply in this thread, pm me, or contact me any of the ways provided on my profile page. Please be an expert I don't want a bunch of noobs trying get a look at time twisted. I can't offer much for the work but you will receive a credit inside the game.

2. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy: WW, Freedom Planet 2
    I wouldn't mind helping you, I've had the same trouble with Sonic Dash, but what exactly do we do, tell you if something is off/wrong and how?

If I may, something I already think gives an impact is the way you positioned Sonic in his walking animation, keeping his head in exactly the same place doesn't work for a Sonic 3 based animation. Hive him a bit of bounce, as in Sonic 3.

Obviously this is just my opinion and is not the main subject.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    A major issue when it comes to most fanbased Sonic engines is how the camera doesn't function exactly the same as the Genesis games, which causes the engine to feel off. Of course I know you probably have run into this before, but that's just one thing I have to say about it.

Also, sometimes the physics of Sonic fangames feel off even if they aren't because of how Sonic rotates on angles. Does your version of the engine have sprites for Sonic only at specific angles such as the Genesis games, or does it rotate smoothly? Because the "smooth" rotation leads Sonic to feeling a little too perfected in movement which makes it feel weird. I got that experience from toying with fan-made engines such as Sonic Dash and Sonic Worlds.

4. Lapper

Lapper

England
    The rotation can be easily fixed to be like genesis, but what I have found making an engine for Sonic Maker is that Eight Direction isnt the magic cure for physics, it always needs tweaking (for me)...

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Let me see how I compare to your requirements...<ul><li>Experience with Sonic games √</li><li>Way too much time on my hands √</li><li>Powerful computer √</li><li>AIM √</li><li>Trustiness √</li><li>Italian √</li><li>Cat √</li></ul>

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=476535:date=Jul 8 2010, 07:57 AM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Jul 8 2010, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=476535">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A major issue when it comes to most fanbased Sonic engines is how the camera doesn't function exactly the same as the Genesis games, which causes the engine to feel off. Of course I know you probably have run into this before, but that's just one thing I have to say about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seconding this statement. There are a lot of games that turn me off mainly because the camera doesn't behave like most quality platformers do, and Sonic the Hedgehog is no exception. Most of these fangames have the camera focused on Sonic entirely, so whenever you jump, the camera scrolls with you, regardless of the height you jumped. This makes jumping on anything below you annoying as they could get out of view. In general, it just ends up feeling like a sloppy game comparable to Bubsy or Awesome Possum.

<a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=11123&view=findpost&p=303018" target="_blank">Stealth posted a great explanation on how this works.</a>

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Sonica I don't think you understand what I'm asking for. I do not need any help with programing at this time.

The camera has already been fixed we went over this last year remember? Damizean made me a new camera that is a Sonic 2 replica before the demo was released.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pmEXjlDN14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pmEXjlDN14</a>

As far as the rotating sprites I do have it set to rotate and I rather like the rotate but that's a visual effect and doesn't really have anything to do with physics.

nineko Italian is a plus cat is a minus they equal out XD. You are in I will send you a physics demo to test soon thanks.

When I say physics I'm talking about speed, acceleration, deceleration, my water physics, jumping speeds, badnik bounce, etc. I want to know if they feel correct the numbers are correct according to the physics guide. But I've been told they they seem sluggish. So that makes me wonder if the way they are applied isn't accurate and it could be more accurate with some tweaking of these values. Even if that means I change the acc value for example from the 0.046875 the guide says it should be.

8. Lapper

Lapper

England
    Yes, I do understand, that was just my opinion.

I do think there is something wrong with his top speed, it seems a little too early, but you have said you've seen the phisics guide, so I don't know why it feels this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.