don't click here

Sonic OVA Look-a-like FULL VERSION UNCOVERED!! OST RELEASED TOO!!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Yes, it has been found and uploaded!! The true complete unedited track Look-a-like from the Sonic OVA!!

Story broke here: https://tailschannel.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/sonic-ova-look-a-like-lost-theme-uncovered/

"“The original plan of illuminor was to ask for the song’s lyrics, but his interlocutor exceeded all expectations and just sent the whole track instead of the plain text,” said Mefiresu."

EDIT: Turns out the main page on the site got this news earlier today: https://sonicretro.org/

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Mundiaxis

Mundiaxis

Now we just need South Island! (Unless we already have the full version somewhere). Cannot believe things like this are uncovered so many years later -- shows the power of persistence and passion. And us being more connecting with each other via internet versus years ago

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This is such a great find! Although a bit of a shame that SEGA didn't feel the need to keep this track in it's fullest for any CD releases (only that short version... which I feel like was spliced and ripped from the OVA itself maybe?), but I've already been listening to this tune on a loop for a good while now!
    It's such a strange theme, but there's some great moments. Extended guitar solo is amazing. It really suits the tone of the OVA nicely! :)

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Well done, give us what we want... MWAHAHA!1

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    So did we get the actual lyrics then?

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    At this point, they can probably be worked out. Great to see this is finally public, there's an entirely new verse too.

7. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Loved this song as a kid and still do now. So happy we got the full version! If we could get the full soundtrack that'd be even better, but one thing at a time.

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    This is incredible. It's making me physically smile with joy when I listen to it.
    And I rarely show emotion on the outside.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    And just in time for my 4K remaster too...

Great week for OVA fans.

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    PRELIMINARY Lyrics (slowly cleaning up)

On a Sunday, riding my bike,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Different things that look alike
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Many, many things that look alike

[Ice and water, steak and cow]
    [Autumn this year and last year]
    [Clock and time], rain and cloud
    A, B, C, D...
    [Tuesday, Wednesday, so is Friday]
    [How about moons and headlights?]
    What I say and what I think
    A, B, C, D, E, F...

A short while ago (A short while ago)
    I was born (I was born)
    And I memorized (And I memorized)
    [Quite a lot of] names

On this planet, drinking my coffee,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Different things that are alike
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Many, many things that are alike

Air and oxygen
    [What're ya makin' startin' speech]
    History and history books
    A, B, C, D...
    Night and universe
    [??? ocean through and through]
    In my dream and in real life
    A, B, C, D, E, F...

A long time ago (A long time ago)
    One caveman (One caveman)
    Had a busy life (Had a busy life)
    Making puns of names

I noticed, I noticed,
    Different things that look alike
    On a Sunday, riding my bike
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Many, many look-alikes

I noticed, I noticed,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Many, many things that are alike

Everything is born from this planet
    A number, a [TV]
    [Even ???]
    Everything came out of this planet
    [???]
    [Even ???]

(Guitar Solo)

On this planet, riding my bike,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    Many, many look-alikes

I noticed, I noticed,
    I noticed, I noticed,
    [Even every person look alike]

Hearing it with better clarity than ever, some notes:
    - I believe "Drinking my coffee" is actually just "drinking coffee".
    - Similarly, I feel like "On a Sunday" could be just "On Sunday" but I'm not as positive;
    - "riding my bike" could be "riding a bike" or possibly just "riding by" 'cause sometimes I hear the K and other times I don't.
    - Generally, the echo/reverb is cool but doesn't help decipher the lyrics any better, lol.

Last I looked on Youtube, there were a few videos (mostly live concerts) of Riyu Konaka, spelled with a Y, but clearly the same voice and same oddball beatnik poetry style. Listen to a few of her songs and suddenly the lyrics of "Look Alike" fit right in that wheelhouse. I believe I heard her speak in a short podcast or interview or something once years ago, and because of her background, she over-emphasizes but still speaks pretty fluent English. So that's one more layer that makes these lyrics a ball of yarn. She's like 90% over-emphasizing plain words WITHOUT that "Engrish" you get in J-pop, making the ears play tricks on what she's saying. The line "a short while ago" was misheard for YEARS because of this, but hearing it now, it's clear as day.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

Wonder how much of the new bits compare to the old instrumental version that was made some time back, and if it could be updated to reflect this official release.

12. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Damn, just a good time for fans of the OVA.

13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    It's probably fairly sensitive data, but are there discussions behind the scenes of releasing the raw file provided? I'm hoping it was originally a raw PCM.

14. RibShark

RibShark

Pretty sure this is "Ice and water; steak and cow"
    I hear "??? and time; rain and cloud", with the unknown sounding like "spark" (maybe a mispronunciation of "space"?)
    I hear "East and Wednesday, so is Friday", but that still doesn't make sense.

This one is difficult, I hear "money in my ??? start and speech".
    Pretty sure to fit with the theming of "things that are alike" that this is "history and history books" (this is also what I hear)
    Another difficult line, I hear "woman ocean ??? and pool". Ocean and pool go together well enough, but I can't make out that middle word.
    Almost certain this is either "in my dream" (no plural) or "imagery"; either would fit.

I think this is "tons" rather than "puns", would fit with the equivalent section above a bit better too.,

Yeah, this section is quite difficult to decipher. The 3rd line here I hear "even thoughts to educate" but that doesn't sound right.
    5th line sounds like "a ???; a pencil", where the missing word is possibly "boardroom" (or maybe "ballpoint" or "biro"?)
    6th line I'm pretty sure is "even your new videos; that ever???" (possibly just continuing the same "everything is born from this planet line" before stopping for the solo.

I definitely hear an "m" sound between the words "drinking" and "coffee", and "riding" and "bike", so I'm pretty sure she does say "my" here. As for "on a Sunday" I'm pretty sure the word "a" is included there. Pretty sure "riding my bike" is correct too, as bike rhymes with alike.

15. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Yep, definitely "Ice and water; steak and cow."

This one is "Spark and burn; rain and cloud."

"Tuesday, Wednesday, so is Friday."

I also hear "money" here but I can't really make anything else out.

Agree with "history and history books."

I also hear "Woman ocean" but can't make anything else out.

Pretty sure "in my dream" is the correct one.

Agree.

"Everything is born from this planet
    A number, a TV, even thoughts that entertain
    Everything is out of this planet
    A boyfriend, a pencil, even your new videos
    And everything"

Yeah, the "my" and "a" are definitely there. The K in "bike" can be heard just as well as "alike".

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Apparently the original file is due to be shared in the next week or so, at least according to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/SAAC_RUS/status/1300163598908563457

Looking forward to adding it to my playlist once it appears! In another tweet, they also tease that they have additional interesting material related to the OVA that they'll be sharing in the near future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    So they uploaded another video:

Listening to it right now. It doesn't have every song that's in the OVA, apparently, but it does have "South Island." Which is what everyone will always call it because I guess it doesn't have a real name. Heck.

It is marked as a production demo, and does have some...random songs that definitely aren't in the OVA. But I'm into it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  18. James Smith

James Smith

I am glad we are even getting this stuff. Sadly the source files are in 192kbps but its what the source has and the ost recording is in one mp3. So its going to take time to split them and properly tag each track.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    This is insane.

Being able to get this stuff from a fairly obscure OVA stuck in licensing hell? Does this happen often or something? Jesus.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    (grabby hands) I want a South Island download dammit, that track has haunted me since I was an actual child because it bangs so much