don't click here

Sonic OVA 2 - fan film

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RazoZen, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Biggest problems are weight and timing. They're actually trying way too hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHWar4suUw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNJpTFPiGfs

Anime Sonic is all keyframes. It just snaps from pose to pose, every pose is exaggerated, any visible tweens are smeared to the extreme. It's cheap Japanese animation, but it totally sells Sonic's speed. In the OVA, that attack would've taken about 16 drawings instead of 62.

2. I think the second trailer is some sort of fetishist look at the character's feet without shoes on. Gosh.

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    So I watched the second trailer.
    my god, you guys were right. so much feet.
    anyways, I think there is definitely room for improvement; I'm just glad knuckles has his hat now.
    I'm not sure this is the way they should try to get licensing or whatever. Sega doesn't want anyone to even reference it (Ken Penders got in trouble for giving Sara a cameo in one issue of the comics). and it's not because the hate it, it's just they have no idea who actually owns it, so they just claim rights and prevent anyone from touching it (of course the thing's all over YouTube, so whatever)
    also there's an Easter egg at the end of the second trailer: there's dark text that says "From Russia, with love"

4. MartiusR

MartiusR

I don't quite understand, why so many users are paying so much attention to those feets :P (Ok, I've done it too, but it was about "sharp" style colliding with "soft design" of characters). Before I've watched this trailer, I've thought that there is something strange like half minute of showing only feets of one of the characters. I watched the trailer and... Seriously, I would rather say that it's something like unfortunate shot frame/perspective, or something like that.

Anyway, it's hard to tell something more now, but I have hope, that it won't be the last thing which this team will create. I've watched quite a lot of cases of "learning through creating". Really great example are Wadjeteye's (in fact Dave Gilbert's) adventure games, Dave Gilbert was starting from very "low point" (this was one of his first attempts, Bestowers of Eternity: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/games/304.jpg, later, idea and plot of this game were the base of the Blackwell series!), but eventually, he ended as one of the best indie developers making adventure games in last years. Of course it's a bit different situation, since there is a franchise belonging to big corporation, so probably works of this team for a long time won't be something different than "fan-made stuff", but still, it would be great thing to observe their further steps (of course if they won't give up at some moment).