don't click here

Sonic Origins Mania Project

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by DNX, Aug 30, 2022.

1. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Hey everyone, I'm working on a mod for Sonic Origins, giving the classic games a Mania makeover- something I wanted to do for a while now. The project is starting out small, with Sonic 1 as the first one I want to work on. I'll be posting some updates periodically on here as to where it's at and what needs to be worked on. For now, here are some screenshots and a couple of videos showcasing GHZ and MZ. Enjoy! (fyi GHZ is simply using the same tiles as Mania's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Impressive work! Can we expect smooth rotations, or is this impossible with Origins at the moment?

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That Marble Zone is fantastic. Please keep it up, this is awesome!

4. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Afaik, there doesn't seem to be a smooth rotation mod for it, so I'll just drop the full-360 rotation mod there, as that's been the #1 complaint I've been hearing.

5. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Wow, this looks pretty neat, I look forward to seeing where this leads.

One request: please don't use Mania's cyan palette for Sonic, it's ugly and looks so wrong. Something closer to the colors Sonic uses on the Mania title screen would look a lot nicer.

6. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    A small update: snippets of the next zone and an updated Marble Zone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: still working on LZ- the BG atm.

7. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Pardon the double post, but I've come here with an update, showcasing Star Light Zone. Been a while since the last update, but I've got some screenshots and a video of the revised level, and some updated sprites to boot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Holy smokes, I love what you're doing here and especially with Star Light. That background is gorgeous. Think I'll hold off on my next playthrough until this is done...

9. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Happy to post that there is a full release of the mod now. Doesn't quite work on Origins completely due to some limitations, but works fine on v4 decomp. Anyway, enjoy!
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/500333