don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

We even have Knuckles sprites for the special stages. The Chaotix SS sprites were done in the same style. In fact, Mighty's sprites were edited from the SCD SS Sonic sprites IIRC.

They even used the Chaotix SS Knux sprites for Blue Sphere in Mania IIRC, despite them not fitting in that instance :V

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. _Sidle

_Sidle

This thread's page number has jumped from "52" to "65" since last I checked, hot damn. Looks like I have a lot of reading up to do.
    While I get to that, look at these goobers :D

upload_2022-4-20_19-38-51.png

3. YuTwo

YuTwo

First of all FINALLY we now know that Stealth is involved with this along with the use of the Retro Engine. It’s been about eight years since he revealed that proof of concept for Sonic 3 so it feels amazing to finally see him complete that. I feel like this should have been one of the first things to announce about this collection though. Then again on the Headcannon website it was shown that he was working on an unannounced title since last year so that may have been a clue to his involvement but it still should have been announced to ease doubts.
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...n-announced-for-2022.40306/page-5#post-984888

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...-announced-for-2022.40306/page-14#post-985614
    [​IMG]
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210528214535/http://www.headcannon.com/games.html
    One thing I don’t like about this collection though, and this is a nitpick might I add, is that the anniversary mode will be the 16:9 versions but it will replace the lives and there will be coins to collect. I feel like they should have split the mode so that there is the standard Taxman and Stealth versions and then the anniversary mode so they can be separate.

Another thing about this collection is that if Stealth is involved then that means Knuckles will control differently. What I mean by this is that Knuckles will not be able to spindash when dropping from a glide like he was able to in Sonic 3. Knuckles wasn’t able to even do this in Mania. Go ahead, boot up Mania and try it. Apparently this is because Stealth is using his code which was based on “Knuckles in Sonic 2”. Fred Bronze who is more knowledgeable about the technical side of these games explains this here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2022021...17/10/knuckles-in-sonic-2-control-quirks.html
    Along with a little snippet here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2020033...t.com/2017/10/why-no-knuckles-in-sonic-1.html
    So does this mean that Knuckles will no longer be able to spindash from a glide in this collection’s version of Sonic 3? This may be a minor thing but it makes it feel less smooth for me when Knuckles is not able to do this. Even without having read the articles above this was immediately noticeable when I played Sonic Mania as Knuckles that it was missing. It feels so clunky.

Now onto the wishlist of things I would like to see. These are only a few of the things I have thought of at the moment.
    -Digital manuals from each region (I just love seeing the SketchHog artwork from the Japanese manuals)
    -Toggle the digital boxart from each region like the Taxman and Stealth mobile versions did.
    -Translate the backstories from each of the Japanese manuals as they contain a lot of lore that not as many people know about.
    -Perhaps implement those said backstories into the animated cutscenes. I would like to see Sonic and Tails meet for Sonic 2 and Sonic at the beach finding the ring with inscriptions for Sonic 3. Ian Flynn is confirmed to be a part of Origins as he said he wrote scripts for the story mode so I hope he put this type of stuff in there.
    -Desert Dazzle and Final Fever in Sonic CD. Egg Gauntlet in Sonic 2 though this one is less likely with Boss Rush already being a thing.
    -Change each individual track in Sonic CD so you could have a mix of Japanese and North American music.
    -The Sonic 3 multiplayer zones being fleshed out into actual zones which Stealth has said in the past he would like to do. I remember @VAdaPEGA made a mockup of Balloon Park:
    [​IMG]
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...ary-knuckles-thread.33532/page-45#post-819112
    This mockup was also seen on the Sonic 3 Remastered website:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2015070...mastered.com/sonic-3-remastered-features.html
    If there is a museum/gallery I hope there will be newly uncovered concept art. I have always wished for that batch of concept art which was briefly shown in that MTV special of Sonic 3 to be seen at a much better quality:
    [​IMG]

(It's at the 6:00 mark)
    I know at the very least two of them resurfaced in that 25th anniversary art book among some other ones:
    https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(16-bit)/Development#Assorted_levels
    They really botched the concept art for the Ocean Wind level though since they split it in half between two pages which I think is an absolute mistake when presenting art in an art book.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully we will get to see some never before seen concept art and maybe even better resolution concept art of ones we already have. Maybe also have that concept art of Ocean Wind in proper form.
    An interesting observation indeed. When the unofficial upscale for the opening animation was made Tyson Hesse did make a comment on that release’s thread and this is what he said:
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...caled-and-a-neat-discovery.39968/#post-977751
    Perhaps they were successful in actually rescanning the animations for the game. Seeing these animations in better quality would be one of the major reasons for me to get this collection if this is the case and I also hope they remove the interlacing that was in the animations as they really ruined the quality of them.
    This makes me wonder if Hyper Sonic will be seen in these new animated cutscenes? I see there is footage of this form already in the trailer but I would look forward to seeing how he would look like in those cutscenes. Would there be different cutscenes depending on which form you were able to obtain as well?
    Yeah it looks like Hesse did sneakily show that those poses he made were certainly made just for fun:
    https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1516836565690949634

https://archive.ph/cWRnO
    Hesse also used this artstyle when he made that artwork to celebrate the fourth anniversary of Sonic Mania:
    [​IMG]
    https://web.archive.org/web/2022041...com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1427057612940447747
    I just want to say that I love the sprite ROM hacks that you have made. I would love to see Sega pay you so that they can use the sprites you made for Amy for each of the three games. You even implemented Amy's Advance gameplay style so seamlessly into the Classic games. If I recall correctly I do remember that Tails new sprites for Sonic CD were also made by someone else in the community but I don't know who or if that was even true. Can somebody else please verify this information because I can't seem to remember at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The best thing SEGA can do is cancel plans of having a deluxe edition, then have the standard edition include all the features the deluxe edition was going to have. Stuff like 100 bonus coins and features like mirror mode being unlocked at the game's startup could just be reserved as a pre-order bonus. We live under a market for attention to where SEGA can stay in the news cycle by announcing they heard feedback from fans, so they will be simplifying everything by only having a standard edition with all the features. The initial bad PR from the first Sonic movie, then good PR they got from listening to fans worked in 2019. It could work again in 2022. This collection would sound nearly perfect if the PC version didn't have Denuvo DRM and everything was included in the standard edition.

The fact this game is coming out two months after the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie is really good timing from a marketing standpoint. A lot of kids who loved the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie can now play the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 game. Considering how the movie took a lot of idea from both the original Sonic 2 and S3&K, the timing is excellent. I hope we eventually see a new collection like this in the future for other classic Sonic games. I would love to see the Sonic Advance trilogy get similar treatment, but I know that is unlikely to happen. Maybe we will see some of the sixth gen Sonic games get their own collection when the third Sonic movie comes out? Sonic the Hedgehog 3 will definitely take a lot of influences from that era of the franchise.

Major props to SEGA for hiring the Sonic fandom for projects like this. I'm really thankful this collection exists and I'm the most excited about the new story mode feature that combines all four games. There are speedrun categories on SpeedRun.com where people play multiple games in one session, so I could see story mode becoming a popular speedrun category. I hope all three Sonic characters are playable in the story mode, but it's okay if only Sonic is playable in that mode. Thank you to everyone in the Sonic fandom who worked on this game. Watching the trailer for this game was easily the highlight of my day. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite Sonic game, so I could easily see this collection becoming my favorite Sonic game in the entire franchise.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @YuTwo yea it was Chimpo who made the extra Tails sprites. Back in the day he worked on art for Sonic Megamix, so he was already involved with the Taxman/Stealth group

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Does anyone know why Sega games became so expansive in Brazil? A few days ago all the prices went up high, like more than 100% of increase. And now Sonic Origins is R$ 215,00, which is actually more than 40 dollars in direct conversion.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2022-4-20_17-57-25.png
    Tails following knuckles, not groundbreaking or anything, but still really cool!
    Im concerned about lives not being available in the widescreen version of the games though, it's a neat option for newbies and someone like me will certainly never run out of lives, but its just weird that they're dumbing down the game.
    Also, the coin icon instead of the character portrait just looks stupid.
    Animation in the trailer was awesome, though. Definitely picking this up for switch when it comes out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    One of the screenshots of mirror mode (the one with Tails in Emerald Hill) actually shows the life icons if I’m not mistaken - so it sounds like the “no lives” thing is optional

• List
  9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx very much.

I'm gonna come clean. Just a short while before the CD remake was announced and before I even knew who Taxman was, he asked if I took sprite art commissions. Since I don't like doing money transactions through the internet I said no. I have no idea if it was actually for one of his projects or not, but needless to say I feel like I stupidly turned down a once in a lifetime offer there. :P

You can take anything I have now, guys. TAKE IT FOR FREE!....Anyone?....

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    And Timmit made the trailer! :V

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

• Informative Informative x 13
    • List
  12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Overall, it's looking like a good game. And finally Sonic 3 & Knuckles is getting a remaster by decent people. But as people have mentioned a million times, the DLC really is disjointed and spoiling it.

Let's not forget, SEGA sat on those mobile ports for around ten years, they had every opportunity to put those releases on PC and elsewhere (minus Sonic CD which was ported from the 360), and chose not to.

And the decompiles showed that it really wasn't going to take much to even put those games on other platforms, it could run on toasters if they wanted to. Those games could have been on PC years ago!

Everyone and their dog knows why Sonic 3 & Knuckles got ignored, but it seems like those issues are now addressed, or they're going to do the easy way and use and improve the decent prototype music tracks.

For the price they want, I'd expect more than four games, only one is brand new anyway. The price really should have been lower.

I'd have included Knuckles Chaotix as an added bonus, and maybe a few extra new levels as a mini game similar to Wily Tower in Mega Man: The Wily Wars.

And of course, seeing how they were included in Mega / Gems Collection, why not have the complete Game Gear set too? What about the Master System games?

I would hope SEGA listen and drop the DLC costs before the game gets released but I doubt it. We know what this company is like with making silly decisions. But they might come to their senses on this.

And of course the less said about Denuvo the better, but we know eventually people will break into it, mod the game, and people will likely shift to that rather than modding the decompiles.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ooohh that is a lovely extra touch.

Ngl I'm getting excited for this. Mirror mode alone. I have like 28 years of learned behavior with these games, it'll be nice having things switched up a bit.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Nice. I guess we're finally the ending FMVs without insidious frame blending.

We already got Desert Dazzle as Mirage Saloon.

I'm all for Sonic being mute if it means that Ian doesn't get to shove the cringy lingo from the old US cartoons into his mouth :V

15. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Again with the goddamn coins?! Unless the "animated content" is a new 50-60 minute OVA like the trailer or mania adventures I see no reason buying games I've bought 4 times already but hit with the DLC/easy mode hammer.

16. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I don't know if this has been posted yet (many posts, many pages, such information).

But I spotted one interesting thing today.

Sega have been doing this 'guess the game' thing on their socials for the last few weeks and... Well see for yourself.

That is from Origins, (see the 'coins' at the bottom left).

But if you take a look at the top right, you can make out co-ordinates. I didn't ever play the StealthTax versions of Sonic 2 so I don't know if this is the result of debug mode or not. But either way, 'debug mode?' or some kind of Dev mode?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Linkabel

Linkabel

I do feel like it's the animation that might've bumped the price of the game from something like $20 to $40-45.

Even if it's not 50-60 minutes it's still not cheap to animate stuff.

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yes, debug mode looks like that in the remakes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  19. Well damn, this just went from "I'll keep on an eye on it and maybe get the game on sale down the line" to something I want Day 1. I watched a few seconds of the trailer and it looks neat, I can't wait to get home and watch it properly with sound!

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, I'll be stupid and pre-order the Deluxe Edition with Denuvo on Steam; I haven't bought these games that many times, and have never played the remakes of 1 and 2, plus I don't know what is a fair price for a videogame in this day and age, so I'l just buy something I want and that's all. And I don't even like half of the extras, but I'm in.

I considered making and recording some gameplays a while ago, and this collection is the best reason to replay games after so long (no, I don't replay these games often, maybe once in a decade).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List