don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Felik

Felik

Sorry for going a little offtopic but can I read more about this controversy. Google gave me nothing

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Almost everything you need to know is here on the past 2 pages. Long story short, the sprite artist had some old s3C updated sprites lying around in his collection and accidentally used them in place of a few animations while he was creating real once. Something about mixed up files and reference sheets, I believe. There's no evidence that he was tracing over the rest of the sprites deliberately or just plain swapping the rest as is, just one small set of animations that closely match, all based on the original Sonic 3 sprite. Stealth figured this out after release, but before the internet exposed it, and both he and the artist have apologized directly, as this was ultimately a simple mistake, rather than a full reflection of the quality of their work.

3. Felik

Felik

Are you responding to me? If so, I'm sorry, I should have quoted the part of the post I was referring to. I meant the Godot controversy

4. Vertette

Vertette

Sonic Colors Ultimate has an intro screen for the Blind Squirrel Engine, turns out it's basically just using a modified version of Godot. Now Godot might be an open source engine but it does require a copyright notice/license statement according to the license, which it didn't at launch. People got pretty mad at that because not crediting the engine you're using while pretending it's your own is kind of a dickmove. They did patch Godot into the credits after that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just a heads up for UK fans; The PS5 / Xbox versions of Origins Plus are finally now available to pre-order via AmazonUK (the switch version became available to pre-order a few days ago).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I didn't even know the Switch version had gone up either, so thanks for the heads-up!

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'll vouch for A+ since I briefly worked with him. He's talented enough to have done his own set, but development crunch probably required use of placeholder.

Good on them for getting ahead and acknowledging the mistake and apologizing.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    We were missing a loading screen for our game for the longest time (it was low priority) and I needed something to test that it worked with so I took the "this is where I'd put my trophy if I had one" meme and turned it into "this is where I'd put my loading screen if I had one". A cheap joke, made us giggle for two minutes. After the first wave of dev was finished on that I was put on something else and never touched the game again.

For some reason the fact that it wasn't supposed to be the final loading screen never came up in testing, and it went gold with it in. Fortunately at some point before publishing the graphic was replaced, but if it'd been overlooked for another week...

• Like Like x 9
    • List
  9. Fadaway

Fadaway

A while back, didn't Nintendo accidentally use a fan-made sprite on their website and as a reference for a prop or something at Nintendo World Japan or am I misremembering?

In any case, this kind of thing can and does happen, but it's always good to acknowledge it as soon as possible and give credit and/or change it or whatever the desired outcome should be from a legal perspective.

Although, it can be a serious issue especially for a large video game company. I do have some questions, though.

From a legal standpoint, what would happen if they leave them in and just credit the original designer for the sprites in S3C? I mean, S3C is admittedly how many people play the original game including me and some of what they added to Origins S3&K is directly inspired by that ROM hack, like the Death Egg cutscene and the Big Arm boss fight returning for Sonic's full play. Just giving credit seems a plausible way to shore it up but I don't know how that would work from a legal standpoint.

Or...what if they just credit Tiddles and the whole S3C crew for shits and giggles just for putting something together that has served as a general blueprint for how to play the full experience at least in some meaningful ways? Legally, I'd imagine it might be a nightmare but I dunno. At that rate, they'd be one fine line away from a canonical Eggette and that wouldn't be kosher. So, it would be nice to know legally where a line should be drawn as far as giving credit when a mix-up like this is afoot.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    There was the fan made masked man sprite that was used in Smash Ultimate.

11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It was a cactus design. Someone used google to search for references and got a Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii (mod) screenshot instead of a New Super Mario Bros. Wii screenshot.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Fadaway

Fadaway

Ah yes. I was going to mention cactus but then wondered if I was misremembering.

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    _com.apple.Pasteboard.Kxigug.jpg

So we discussed this on Discord already but in case anyone else didn’t know, the reversible cover art for Origins Plus has been revealed for all three regions (PAL was discovered this morning)

I’m really liking the attention to detail and effort being out here for all three and just like with Mania Plus, I’m making sure my copy stays on this cover at all times :V

Now we just need to see more gameplay footage of Amy as well as Knuckles in CD :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    SEGA Australia page on Amazon for Sonic Origins Plus, each linked platform page contains their corresponding reversible Mega Drive cover.

I think the Switch version's reversible cover is my least favourite, the way elements of it are positioned leaves a fair bit of background space, which I'm not particularly fond of; the logos and character art could (and I think should) have been spaced apart more evenly.

I think the other platforms' reversible covers are tighter, but in a good more-evenly-distributed way considering their different box dimensions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I like that the EU reversible cover is referencing the original S1 box-art and using the original black-grid border instead of the later blue border which was used for the EU reversible cover for Mania Plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I never really consciously thought about that difference, but yeah I do prefer the earlier Mega Drive branding, the gradients and general details in the logo pop a lot more. Additionally, Origins Plus using the original Mega Drive logo and branding is most fitting for the name Origins, so overall it's the superior choice in my book. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Probably since the games come before Sonic Mania, so get the earlier design.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

I like it, it's a collection that includes S1
    while Mania is a follow up to S3&K

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The fact this had to be revealed from a random Amazon Australia listing is shameful.

Sega America, you really need to start actually doing European social media promotion, given you took the job away from Sega Europe.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    No see they were tweeting the same things at the same time sometimes so they had to go.