don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You don't need more tiles to make sonic's sprite move, the sprite mappings themselves control how the sprite is positioned relative to the object position. I could make Sonic jump all over the screen while walking and I wouldn't have to change the tiles at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

The message was clear enough after Mania 1 (6 years ago!) that fans want a Mania 2. If I was Sega, and I put together a compilation of games fans have already played to death - and threw on playable Amy and a bunch of fucking Game Gear roms. Seeing the easily pleased fans go shithouse over it, I wouldn't bother making Mania 2 either! I'd bring out an Origins 2 with the looming threat of "now, now, no new Classic Sonic stuffs for you if you don't buy this", it's worked so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Kind of agree its a bit Naïve to expect to be funding a Sonic Mania sequel with this, but I’m Not sure how I feel about the sudden trend of people pretending Console/PC Ports of the Retro Engine Remakes and a new one for Sonic 3K weren’t also among the most heavily requested things sega could have put out, either

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Update provided. These *are* edits of Sonic 3 Complete sprites. They were just left in by accident.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 13
    • List
  5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Thank you, this looks much better than the original sprites and solves most of my issues with the Sonic 3 style. Can I use them?

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I might give them a clean over, but go ahead, I'll alert you if I do.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Better they own up to it, but wonder if that means they'll either be altered, or extra credit will be given to the original artists.

Who worked on the S3 Complete Sprites again? As far as I'm aware this is the only animation where it happened.

https://twitter.com/HCStealth/status/1642290121298051073

Stealth already made a statement. This is "not a joke".

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, so they were altered. Regardless, seems like a mistake and one that they acknowledged at least, plus it’s not the 1st time some fan art has been accidentally swiped (Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Wii uses Sonia fan art on a track accidentally instead of Amy).

Given all the stuff usually left over in these retro engine entries I’m not shocked something like this happened. And maybe Origins plus will fix it. But least they apologized and in the grand scheme it’s only a few sprites out of the many in the game.

9. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Is it bad if my reaction is "more new S3&K sprites incoming, woooooo!"

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

It's good that they apologized, but to be totally honest, I think it's all been blown a bit out of proportion. Editing sprites that were themselves edited/based of off Sonic 3 is nothing in comparison to how Sonic Colors Ultimate didn't credit Godot until they were publicly called out (a clear violation of the Godot license).

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

My reaction is "When are they going to accidentally use MY art?" :P

Go ahead. Have your despicable way with it!.....

WHY WON'T YOU HAVE YOUR DESPICABLE WAY WITH IT?!?

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah I ultimately think the parties involved are being very cautious here and I hope they aren't treated harshly by SEGA over this. By all appearances, it's an honest mistake and I don't want this to stifle the careers of either APlusStart or Stealth, or anyone, really.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also I’d hope some fan artist from a now 10 year old fan hack wouldn’t get too salty at the use of a few sprites to the point they’d try to ruin them. Besides, at the end of the day that work would’ve never been paid for just given the nature it was a hack and thus can’t be sold. They probably did it for their love of Sonic 3, not the notoriety (like me with helping make the Japanese box art variant of said hack. Also I’ve seen my version of that logo reused so much at this point, someone stole that for Sonic 3 AIR hacks at one point.)

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's not professional practice and if Headcanon want to be taken seriously then they need to take this issue if plagiarism seriously. Which they are doing.

Stealth impresses me a lot. He's always outspoken and has high standards even when he messes up. He seems pretty intimidating though. Lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Indeed, it's not good practice to use assets not handled by your own or the prior development team.

That said, if SEGA want to talk about some sprites...

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I can’t help but feel bad for Simon here.. it’s like he’s trapped in a lose-lose situation with this project.. the time crunch to get 3&K made, the passionate outburst at the collection’s launch, and now his awesome return for Origins Plus being overshadowed by this.

I really hope all parties were able to set things straight and move on because in my opinion this was overblown. Like I understand why this is a serious situation but I really doubt the original artist who made the touch ups to those sprites would seriously attempt to sabotage Headcannon especially with what Stealth has done for the community.

And yet from watching his response, it looks like the poor man is giving his own death sentence (though that may be an over exaggeration on my part)

Im still going to buy Origins Plus to support Headcannon’s work and SEGA knows they’re passionate about Sonic so this relationship needs to continue

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Vertette

Vertette

He seems to hold the people he works with to a high standard, but himself too. That's an admirable trait in this industry, I think.

18. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I don't see how it's being blown out of proportion? Someone brought attention to it, it's getting addressed, and they apologized publicly because it's the right thing to do. It's not really big news or anything, it never was. I don't see anyone calling for their heads or making this a bigger issue than it needs to be.

It shouldn't have happened in the first place, and it should've been addressed immediately. But we all make mistakes, and we all make bad judgement calls. If anything this serves as a learning experience for them.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    When he was young in the 90s and early 2000s, he was definitely a bit of a hothead online. I remember those early fangame days back when some of us used to chat on AIM directly.

Fortunately, he never crossed any serious lines, and his professionalism and work ethic for the brand are top notch. I couldn't have greater confidence in his skill or team than I do.

Also, I've read a lot of the twitter commentary. Very few people are being hyper critical of them, and they are reactive to this quickly and will almost certainly correct it. There will always be negativity and trolls, but even that is quite minimal.

Someone would have to bring legal charges against them for it to be much more serious, and only the S3C team could even attempt to do that, which is itself a bit of a paradox since it's based on a ROM Sega owns the original rights too. Heck, as a fan, I'm glad to even see good fan assets inspiring the real devs, as good ideas should never be ignored if they work. Doesn't mean unaccredited plagiarism is appropriate, but those sprites were not even close to a serious problem with the collection itself.

Stealth is apologizing and taking responsibility. That is the best way to handle this and it will be fixed by release.

20. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Honestly if the creator who did make the original sprites were to step forward or contact Stealth I would more expect them to do so to grant approval (if with compensation in credit [a given] or payment [reasonable]) than to threaten legal action. I doubt anyone passionate enough about the franchise to have worked on Complete wants to be the Second Legal Issue that happens to Sonic 3

do we even know who specifically made the handful that slipped through or are S3C’s credits not documented on that level? Cause as far as I’ve seen they haven’t stepped forward themselves

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023