don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    As a reminder, he and Taxman were openly against the implementation of Denuvo in Sonic Mania, and he still got to remake Sonic 3 for Sonic Origins. Stealth never hesitates to speak his mind when things are like this.

That said, what is there left for the classics to remake? Sonic 3 was the last of the classics that needed a remaster, and that work is done now. And it's clear that SEGA aren't interested in more classic sequels. What bridge has he really burned by tweeting about this internal struggle? It sounds more like the other party burned that bridge with his team, long before he could.

2. MH MD

MH MD

now now....let's not exaggerate things here :V
    Stealth and his teams are professionals. they were contracted to work with SEGA based on their skills and relationship with them, not cause they are merely "fans", SEGA will undoubtedly continue to make future collaborations with a lot of partners, some who will undoubtedly be fans,it's not like they will stop working on comics or collaborating with Tyson Hysse for example, let's not make a mountain out of ant hill.

otherwise we would have been doomed a long time ago cause all the Ken Panders antics which was a WAAAAY bigger deal and headache to everyone involved, one would think that SEGA would cancel the comics altogether, yet here we are, with a new reboot, and main writer of said reboot actually working on the next main sonic game no problem.

3. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    I really do appreciate him being transparent, but I would not be surprised if he gets fucked over for this.

4. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    if he does get fucked over this then I am not going to buy anything from Sega ever again

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This was quite foolish. Someone who stays in touch with really needs to convince him to delete those tweets immediately, if it's not already too late. I can't believe he would have such an extraordinary lapse in judgement as this. I can think of a number of ways to get the point across without airing dirty laundry for God's sake.

6. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    In all fairness, Ian Flynn has publically expressed his displeasure with working with SEGA on multiple occasions, both politely and not. And now he's writing the next big Sonic game.

So there's still hope.

7. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    I'm on the fence saxman. These tweets can cost him his career as a Sonic dev and huge repercussions for the community. But it makes me genuinely angry and I'm glad I now know what we know.

Even if he deleted the tweets though, many screenshots have probably been taken. It would be of no use.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Patrolman

Patrolman

9. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I would not be remotely shocked if this somehow results in a burned bridge (though I will probably go a LONG time without actually purchasing another sega title if it does and Sega uses that as an excuse to leave origins in the state it’s in)

But I saw a lot of people talking about Career Suicide when stealth spoke publicly the payment arrangement on Mania and how the team didn’t get residuals as well. It clearly didn’t happen then

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

I feel legitimately bad for Stealth and the Head Cannon team. On the one hand there is absolutely a risk to saying this publicly. On the other hand silence could result in his company becoming the public face of Origins’ failures. We saw what happened to Big Red Button with Rise of Lyric. Now I’m not saying that Origins is as big of a mess, I’m just saying it’s likely that this is in the back of Stealth’s mind. I will not be purchasing this game unless Sega gives Headcanon the opportunity to make updates.

Guys I want Mania 2 so bad. But if this is how badly Sega fucked up a collection of mobile games from 2011 then would Sega give Head Cannon the time and resources they need to make a good Mania 2? Or even if they did would they mess it up as badly as Origins. I mean there are PC gamers reporting the inability to fucking open the game. I apologize for sounding over dramatic, especially since I wrongly wrote off folks’ concern about the music, but I am honestly very concerned about the future of Sonic games. My View of frontiers was already low... but if this is how a collection of mobile games turned out then I have NO hope of the first open world sonic being stable especially since folks at SGF have clearly stated the game has a lot of jank.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
  12. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    If I wanted to place my two cents on the "anything goes" list, I'd want SegaSonic and Chaotix to be loosely remastered for modern platforms as a side piece: the gravy to the fries. SegaSonic has some interesting ideas but it's undermined by its intentionally hand-throbbing control scheme. Chaotix and its kooky "teamwork" gameplay has potential, but wow that level design needs some serious overhauling.

13. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    I don't want Chaotix or SegaSonic remakes. I want another 2D Sonic game, one in which Stealth and his friends are given free reign to unleash their creativity

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. RikohZX

RikohZX

Thing is that Stealth and the Headcannon team can only really do bug fixes for 3&K specifically. They aren't being paid for or tasked to deal with the other ports in the list, nor did they have much to do with Hedgehog Engine 2's implementation besides their mentioned feedback. The problems with booting up the game, or the music issues in general, or the various issues in the other ports like the new Tails AI bugs in 2?

Yeah, that's all on Sega, and how much they'd bother to fix anything is currently up in the air besides the quick stability patches they keep putting out.

15. Patrolman

Patrolman

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Honestly, you just gotta have a lot of respect for Stealth at the end of the day. He lets us know what's up, time and time again, each time this happens, again and again. And we can all respect him for that.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Clearly the man cares about his work, and if SEGA is going to punish him for that, then why should we continue to support them? He knows he took a big risk by speaking his mind, but at the end of the day, he is a professional and only wants his work to be of the highest quality. Shouldn’t SEGA want the same thing?

Like I said before, if they don’t approve any post-launch updates that fixes these major bugs, their reputation will definitely take a hit.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Stealth didn't even "burn bridges" or "air dirty laundry". He just said what he and his team did was different than what Sega put out. He doesn't insult Sega or do anything that I perceive as unprofessional. If I'm wrong, I would genuinely like to know because maybe there's some developer and publisher relation that I don't know since I am not a game developer or designer.

19. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    I'm literally so anxious to the point of shaking right now. I had no idea how much this shit affected me emotionally. I hope Stealth and co. will be fine after this.

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

https://twitter.com/hcstealth/status/1540178087463100418?s=21
    The fact that Stealth went out of his way to defend Iziuka shows that he really cares about Sonic and the personal relationships he’s cultivated at Sega. Also remember that before the game’s release he publicly complimented Sega for listening to his feedback regarding the islands... and that was while fans were criticizing Origins. I’m not saying that this was the best way to handle things nor do I personally know Stealth BUT it seems to me he truly wants what is best for Sonic and his team. Again I do not know Stealth so I am not personally vouching for him but this type of passion is exactly what this franchise so desperately needs. It was this passion that saved the Sonic movie series. And it was this passion that made MANIA, the most critically and commercially successful Sonic game in a decade.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022