don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh thank God lol. I mean it was an option in the mobile ports but not in like Jam or Gems Collection so it wasn't a guarantee.

It's a small feature but one that makes a difference to me. Even though I grew up in the states I don't have a ton of nostalgia for the old art.

2. Xilla

Xilla

Up to Labyrinth Zone on Story Mode.

Dear me......the speed shoes music is distorted to all hell. I'm guessing they just increased the tempo on the audio files and called it a day.

3. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I've been perusing the concept art gallery and unlocked these ones because they look like nothing we've ever seen before!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ This is Super Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Final confirmation that even though it uses the Master Emerald, it is in fact a super form?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little Planet's zone locations. 2R is seemingly R2 and shows it would've taken place underground it seems.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    But that was outsourced to Blind Squirrel Games

5. Vertekins

Vertekins

Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    Concept art of Knuckles' prototypes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One concept of Knux was a black cat!

[​IMG]

This is fascinating stuff.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. RikohZX

RikohZX

I get a kick out of the idea of Knuckles using his dreads to glide, I guess Cream had a little inspiration to a degree for her ear flight.

7. Vertekins

Vertekins

Sonic CD animation boards that were previously unseen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, neck.

I'm running low on Coins (I got the pre-order digital deluxe version so was given 100 automatically) so can't unlock any new images right now.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That cat design is kinda fun ngl, same with the mole. I mean I'm very glad we got Knuckles over those two but they'd of been fun additions to the cast

Also the neck is nothing new that made it into the final animation when he looks up at the Eggman rock

That being said though should we put the concept art in spoilers? This is kinda spoiling the fun for some potentially of unlocking the art themselves

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Vertekins

Vertekins

Looking closer at the wording in katakana, it states that this Mecha Sonic is using the Chaos Emeralds specifically. So it seems that he was conceptualized to use them and not the Master Emerald.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This concept art is undoubtedly great, loving Super Mecha and the Sonic CD intro concepts.

Sonic 3 faffery aside, I'm disappointed this collection didn't get the music enhancements 1/2/CD received for their mobile ports in the first place... Would have been the perfect venue to let the cleaned up audio really sparkle, on people's home audio systems instead of dinky phone speakers. Not a problem for anyone that runs mods obviously but normies and anyone stuck playing on console is gonna miss out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

How exactly is selecting a stage structured in regards to time attack ranking? This game doesn't seem to have a specific time attack mode, just a screen for local and online rankings. Can you easily select cleared stages to play individually and then go back to the menu, or do you have to use a level select code that will then just continue the game after you've cleared the selected stage? If it's the latter, that seems like a massive oversight.

12. I hope there's a chance that Xbox goes live at 12am EST. I forget when they release stuff

13. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    fun fact, at least in S3K’s debug mode, you can just place a bunch of lives monitors to get more coins.

On the subject, the debug mode feels super janky, which reminds me of the classics!

This box shows up in debug mode. I know the “B” is a trigger to scroll lock the camera top to the midpoint of the B.

Any idea what the green box, the copy paste, and the clear might be used for? The green box is not used for a boss trigger, or locking behavior.

These seem like leftover debug features (fitting).

Attached Files:

14. I just wonder how well preserved the actual Retro Engine code is - maybe if we are lucky, we could get a wrapper for the remasters in here up and running within like a week.

15. Vertekins

Vertekins

More concept art. This time of the famous Armadillo concept

[​IMG]

Also, the Sonic Family from the Shogakukan manga

[​IMG]

The blue Gorilla guy and the Bear(?) are labelled "Friend"

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Would be nice if there was some art for sister sonic. I wonder what she was gonna look like.

17. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    + - Had we ever had anything official stating Amy is Sonic's girlfriend, as opposed to a fan or something else?  

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

So to those looking at the game's assets from Switch or whatever people peeked into the folders from, are the usual Data.rsdk and folder formats looking plausible, or is the Hedgehog Engine 2 wrapper obfuscating things?

19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub

I'm highly disappointed that no new concept art for Sonic 2 has surfaced. There's nothing new that wasn't in the Cook & Becker artbook. Does SEGA just not have that material anymore? Is the art for Sand Shower and whatnot simply lost?

Also, the movies section sucks. No commercials, Man of the Year, or anything like what Jam had, instead all you get are storyboard sketch versions of Origins's cutscenes, the 30th Anniversary concert, and Sonic Mania Adventures. That's it. Shit you can already find on Youtube at the same quality.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  20. corneliab

corneliab

I caved and am preloading this now on my Switch. Hopefully it actually does unlock tonight, stateside. If not, I'll just spend the night playing Mania instead lol

Yeah, the music reversions are pretty weird. Wonder if they're somehow rights-related.