don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've personally never listened to the proto tracks in Sonic 3 so I wonder what people's thoughts will be.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

I don't think those tracks are anywhere bad, but after decades of knowing only those from the release version obviously it feels weird to me.
    I think it's just a matter of people getting used to them over time (as long as Jun Senoue manages to make a good work out of them, that is).

3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Is this gonna become the Sonic version of "Han Shot First"?

4. RDNexus

RDNexus

In which sense, if I may ask?

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    'Dear Sonic Retro, Sega composed first. There can be only one soundtrack.'
    [​IMG]

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

more like our version of Fly Me To The Moon

7. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I kind of thought that was Classic vs Modern Sonic.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That's entirely dependent on how much Denuvo impacts script modding. If at all.

Given that it's still the retro/Mania engine, if Denuvo isn't an issue (which it apparently was not for Mania), porting old mods to Origin won't be all that difficult. There were some great stage mods for Mania early on in the first year before Plus came out (some of which sadly no longer work), and the community is far more familiar with the engine now.

Ultimately, it just comes down to how Denuvo is implemented and whether or not that breaks things.

The decomps will of course be easier to mod, but accessibility is going to be a big problem, epsecially for 3 AIR/CD.

Sonic 3 Stealth Edition is going to be very close to AIR in terms of functionality/gameplay anyway. Tails Flight cancel and music mods are the only feature I truly need added back in, personally.

9. Angel X

Angel X

Italy
    My problem with buying Sonic Origins for now is that they put the Denuvo DRM back...
    In addition to ruining the hardware of PCs, it is totally USELESS!
    It is supposed to prevent piracy, but Sonic Mania was easily cracked within days!

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Do we really have to endure the same old "Denuvo doesn’t work!1!!1" conversation again?
    Most piracy happens within a few day of a game’s release, which Denuvo covers. That’s why game companies keep using it: it works as intended.

(It’s still a piece of shit bloatware but that’s neither here not there)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Yeah, like, DRM is awful, anti consumer, and often ineffective but it tends to work for exactly the time and purposes publishers need it to despite it all

it took Mania, what, a week to be cracked? That’s all the time Sega really needed it to last

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Would be nice if they'd patch it out after its usefulness has expired, though.

13. Angel X

Angel X

Italy
    However, the fact remains that it can give problems to the PC, even to the games themselves.
    I remember when Sonic Mania had DRM, many point out that the game was running slower than usual.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    That’s a valid point. DRM sucks but there’s a reason it’s so prevalent on PC games unfortunately

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    YES YOU UNDERSTAND MY PAIN

the ones in glowing spheres scale up in value the higher you go. IIRC the ones near the very end of the bonus stage have something nuts like 70 or 80 rings in them. It's actually quite easy to farm for lives in it if you have the layout memorized like I do :oldbie:

-

re: the special stages discussion, I was extremely familiar with the special stages in CD as I had the original asm PC port when I was a kid - Sonic CD was actually the first classic Sonic game I completed all the special stages for! So yeah, I knew about the UFO sprite cue and such. Nice explainer on why I found the remake special stages to be so much more difficult for me now though. I'll keep that in mind when I play them when...oh my god this game is going to come out soon, that's right!! (have been preoccupied with Real Life Stuff over the past week or so)

I think Sonic 2s are actually still the hardest special stages. The remake makes more of a better experience with the smoother framerate, but I still find it very difficult. There are some mean things in there, like how some levels exploit that you can't see around curves, and the stupid segments where the rings are just floating around willy-nilly and it expects you to somehow get enough of them before the next checkpoint. In terms of difficulty, I think it's then followed by the Sonic CD remake, Sonic 1, Sonic Mania, and then Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Stage 7 for Mania Encore Mode though is a damn killer.

-

re: which to get it on, I was torn between Switch for portability and PC, but ended up getting PC both for mods and because Mania + the fan decomps all run really well on my laptop, so it's basically still portable for me anyway. I play the classic games while on plane flights to soothe my nerves.

16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    How did you manage to avoid them until now??

re: Denuvo, I think being anti-consumer outweighs the benefits of anti-piracy efforts. I genuinely feel like stealing/piracy is an issue for the developers to solve, and passing that issue onto the consumer kinda sucks. A fraction of users effectively get punished because someone else stole a product. But I can see why many developers use it, as much as I can easily see why so many developers don't use it.

btw 3 days to go :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've personally never looked for them, and wasn't watching the stream live when that was happening (there was a stream for that one, right?) at the time. I'm waiting to be surprised when I play the game.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Said tracks didn't play during the Origins stream.
    They were first heard when Proto Sonic3 got unveiled.
    Since then YT got filled to the brim with interpretations of how those tracks could be if finalized.
    That's why @foXcollr asked you how you managed to avoid them so far ^^"

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Yeah there was a Hidden Palace stream for that one, complete with the person playing entering debug mode and skipping broken sections of the game lol. I think you'll enjoy them tbh as long as they're done justice in Origins

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Going to throw it out there again that the Epic Games store version of does not mention Denuvo anywhere on the store page.

So either it won't have it, or it will and Epic is awful at informing its consumers about it.