don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Unfortunately, a story mode speedrun probably means they're skipping cutscenes.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

No real point waiting two extra days for that, either. Not even six hours after release, someone will have played through all of Story Mode and probably have gotten all the Emeralds in each game just to showcase the cutscenes, if they aren't simply ripped from the video files; if someone wants to watch the scenes but not own the game, they're gonna be there pretty fast.

3. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

On the topic of the cutscenes, it is actually kind of funny that after years of pining for Ian Flynn to do writing for the games, out first actual taste of his writing on an official title is going to be retellings of existing, if obscure, story beats with, from what we’ve seen, no dialogue, by pure happenstance of the order Frontiers and Origins are releasing in

just kind of a super low-key debut, it’s really amusing to me

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    It'd honestly be really cool if the game just came out today. I don't see how that would hurt anybody...

5. corneliab

corneliab

It's finally starting to feel like this is almost here and I'm getting excited. I seriously can't wait to have these versions of the games on the Switch.

What's everybody going to do first? I'm going to blast through 3&K and then give story mode a shot.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Story Mode first for me! Gaming time has been sparse the last few years, so I've not found time to revisit the classics for a long while now. I'm itching to see all those animated scenes - plus, going through all the games in sequence will be a good excuse to leave Sonic 3 & Knuckles 'til last and not blow through the 'new' stuff straight away, haha!

I'm looking forward to that one the most as I'm excited to see what's been tweaked and added in the new remake - however I'm also looking forward to playing Sonic CD again, as I'm less familiar with it than the Mega Drive trilogy and haven't beaten it again since the remake's original release back in 2011!

7. Harper

Harper

At first I was thinking about doing a proper 3&K playthrough, but now I'm planning on going to 3&K's level select right away (if possible) and listening to the new versions of the prototype tracks. I'm very impatient and I wanna hear these ASAP.

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Plan is to live-stream all 4 games in Story Mode to my yt channel on Thursday morning & maybe do some Missions. After recovering for a few hours I will then live-stream all 4 games in Anniversary Mode playing as Knuckles or Tails.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    same same, honestly might just start with S3K though since tryharding Story Mode might take more than one day of playtime and I might get too impatient lol

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'd say CD would be the big hold up in story mode, assuming a good ending playthrough, at least for me. CD's special stages are probably the hardest of the Mega Drive games and going for the generators is a chore that requires familiarity with the level layouts and how to abuse them for time travel speed. Either way, Sonic 1 and 2 would probably be 90 minutes to an hour, so I think the first thing I do will be a straight playthrough of story mode.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

Hardest? They give you the time UFOs, they're certainly finicky but you can actually easily complete them on reflex alone instead of rote memorization like 1 and 2. They and Blue Spheres are the special stages I can really handle pretty easily.

But to each their own. I'm sure there's people out there that can ace the half-pipe but utterly loathe Blue Spheres.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I am torn between doing a 3&K run and starting with story mode.. but I do have to agree with McAleeCh in terms of wanting to be surprised with the new stuff the 3&K remaster has to offer so I may just want to enjoy the story mode first.

But I do want to immediately spend those 100 coins on something in the museum just to start the mode fresh with no currency.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    As a comparison, my full "best ending" playthrough of Sonic Delta is 6 hours and 32 minutes long (and that's without the CD levels), but I did get into a lot of bonus stages and whatnot, whereas my "bad ending" speedrun of Sonic Delta is one hour and 55 minutes long, so if emeralds and time stones aren't needed to "clear" story mode, I suspect one could get the bad ending in 2 hours and a half or so.

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

Unsure if I'm going to get it on launch day (logistics of justifying biting the bullet on $40 for games I own many times over right now, or at the inevitable bargain sales later), so I'll just be soaking in the community responses as people are digging through the various 3K changes. When I do eventually get it, I'm going straight to Mission Mode, and Sonic 2 VS. (expanded to have all eight major stages, on console, without connection problems that come from multiple devices. Heavenly~!)

15. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Is this the general opinion on them? They've always been the easiest to me, other than 3 and K's which you just have to memorize, once you learn when to time Sonic's jumps to hit the UFO's. No real BS or GOTCHA moments like in 1 or 2.

They're easy enough for me to the point where I legit don't know where any of the Generators are past Zone 4. I don't need them after that.

16. _Sidle

_Sidle

Depends on what you find difficult.
    • 1-Maze and 3K-BlueSphere have insta-loss spots you need to navigate around. CD-HuntingUFOs and 2-Halfpipe let you accumulate mistakes.
    • 2-Halfpipe is an auto-scroller on a time limit. 1-Maze, CD-HuntingUFOs, and 3K-BlueSphere let you stall infinitely and get your bearings.
    Personally, CD's are very forgiving and are each clearable in about a minute max if everything goes according to plan... but they can very easily go to hell on those days I can't aim for the life of me.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

S3K's Blue Sphere ain't that forgiving. Speed raises as time advances. If you stall, you can get quite screwed.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Blue Sphere and the Sonic 1 Maze are the easiest for me, while I can see how it's easy to screw up in the Sonic 2 half pipe and in the UFO thing.

At least Sonic 2 gives you plenty of chances to retry via the starposts, while Sonic CD isn't as generous.

19. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Same here!

20. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Pre the 2011 remaster the CD special stages were much easier, because the gold/silver bands appearing on the UFO were your cue to jump for them - much more difficult now.