don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. SEGACast

SEGACast

Huh? There are new sprites in Origins? I seem to recall something like this being mentioned, but I didn't know if it was real or not.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

The assets for Competition Mode in the Sonic Central trailer were upscaled or redone to some degree to better fit having full-sized player characters running on them, and it seems like assets such as Sonic's 3D spring rotations are fully redrawn to better fit the Sonic 3 design instead of randomly turning into his Sonic 2 / prototype self.

We don't know the full overview of what has been changed yet, and Tails isn't getting a makeover to fit 3 more or anything, but at the very least there's some bigger scale stuff going on than people initially expected.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So we got our confirmation on a bunch of things like the fate of the MJ tracks and the vocals for CD this month.. is there anything else that we should be on the lookout for that we are still left in the dark about?

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I don't think we'll know all of the game's secrets until it's on our HDDs. Who knows what all the unlockable art and museum secrets contain? Not to mention mission completions, and bonuses within individual games.

Plus there are still questions about how precisely story mode with all 4 games in a single "mode" will work.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    On the subject of quality of life improvements, how about fixing up this unused part?

Because you know they'll keep Big Arms in....maybe just without the final boss music.

6. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Just noticed that according to the PS Store product page, Sonic Origins may support Game Help feature for PS Plus subscribers on PS5.

Try not to read into this, could just be a “careless data entry mistake” to throw people off:

Japan

7. MastaSys

MastaSys

By that line of thinking we wouldn't need Tails and Knuckles on legacy entries in the first place.

I'm all for following the obvious first step first, but not need to stop porting new stuff back. It's one of the sonic staples.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Regarding the topic of Sega reaching out to a Knuckles in Sonic CD fan mod creator:
    I don’t get the concerns about legalities or bugs. No one is suggesting that Sega pinch a fan mod and include it Origins. Instead, Sega would contract a fan mod creator to develop this content for them. Fan mods often have bugs because they are done in people’s free time. But a paid contractor has time to fix the issues.

Of course, now that Origins is finished it would be better to contract Headcanon to produce Knuckles in Sonic CD as paid DLC.

However, I'm unsure if Knuckles in Sonic CD is enough content for DLC. That's why it might need things like Ray/Mighty, Buddy mode, extra 2P split-screen levels etc to pad it out. Much like Mania+ had these features. Truth be told, I'm not even a fan of Ray & Mighty. I would have definitely preferred Amy. But based purely on how Mania+ was handled, I would assume an Origins DLC would need something beyond Knuckles in Sonic CD. Of course, I have no idea of the sales figures for these things and could be wrong.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think Amy across the collection would be a better hook than Mighty and Ray. Her moveset wouldn't break the games and @E-122-Psi has already created pretty much every sprite they could possibly need. Also, would be a great opportunity to rectify a long standing issue by finally giving Amy a super form.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Fixed for you. :V

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    About half actually. The 45 degree animations are hand-optimized in-game and the 3D ramp in PPz requires many more animations including a front view if you decide to backtrack before reaching the +-shaped booster. Also 'waiting', 'edge balance' etc.

The real cost in implementing the Knuckles (or Amy) in cd is the programming and QA needed as new abilities may expose problems in the collision of the terraing and objects and create many new bugs. Stealth mentioned in the recent interview for Retromag that when they made the Retroengine version of Sonic 1 they had to fix many collision issues not usually noticeable when playing with Sonic or Tails, as Knuckles interacts with the terrain in a different way from Sonic and can also reach areas Sonic and Tails can't.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. JW.

JW.

So I'm assuming the MJ tracks are still in legal hell and will never return?

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yes, I definitely would love to see Amy. In Sonic Advance 1, Amy worked as a neat type of 'harder mode', as she was slower and so you need to think a bit more about how to get her around the fast bits. So she was a different take on the game without needing levels redesigned to take advantage of her.

Plus, it's an omission not to have a playable female.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    You mean all of my peers at the after school care center I went to in 1993 who thought Tails was a girl doesn't count?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    All of this is stuff Stealth's team could do in CD. Sega just doesn't want to hire them for it (yet?)

16. nesboy43

nesboy43

To my knowledge the lawsuits are about the composers not getting paid for rereleases.

My guess is Sega is too cheap to pay them for a new rerelease.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Something tells me if they could they'd develop S3K internally but by the looks of it (like the duplicated HUD in mission mode) the team SEGA assembled couldn't implement meaningful changes in the engine.

18. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    We now know two of those six composers have passed away. I wonder what will happen when it's 6/6? Probably a few decades away from that reality though.

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    For something completely different, do we think any engine changes have taken place in the S3K remaster? One thing I hated in the Retro Engine was how Sonic's height was calculated, causing him to be killed via crushing more than before, especially in the CPZ moving blocks section. In the Genesis games you could get your head almost in the ceiling before it caused a death.

Though even if they did, it is unlikely that it would be applied to S1/2/CD. I would love a 'Mania Plus' styled update post launch. Give development back to Headcannon and friends, allow them to update all the games in the collection to the same version of Retro. Add Knuckles to CD, and Amy or whoever as a new character. Lock on Mighty and Ray if you owned Plus. Add the island of Newtrogic High Zone as a new Emulated Rom arcade that has the remaining Gernesis/32x/GG/MS games playable. Throw it all together in a physical boxed copy and I'd buy it. Heck, sort out the S3 music issues and add a toggle for an additional 5$ if you want to go the Colors Ultimate route.

I just hate to see all this effort go into a product that seems to come short of what our ideal product would be as long time Classic Sonic fans.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Everyone is worried,coming up with theories, upset by the lack of something in the games. And I'm just waiting for YouTube recordings because my laptop isn't powerful enough for this game... Seriously? This is just a collection of Paleozoic era games, do games really need to use the full power of the computer? Even the Mania started on old computers. Is it all about the museum and the maps? This... strange... anyway, I'm waiting for new versions of proto tracks. Who knows, maybe even the S3 complete team will come back to add these new things and tracks. Well, or other people will do it. I hope there will be demo recordings for S3K tracks in the museum :p