don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. nesboy43

nesboy43

I want the ability to play these games as they were created but with widescreen.

I'm not saying they need to take away their coin mode, but to deny users the option to customize these things is absurd.

And then to say I need to play in 4:3 to use lives and play the games without other modifications is nonsensical, it should be as simple as a selectable aspect ratio option and a selectable lives or coins mode.

The Taxman S1,2, and CD ports all had various options and enhancements that the user could chose to their liking. For example you could add spin dash in Sonic 1 or Sonic CD, but it was up to the user.

Denying the users these basic customization features means this product is at least to me not the definitive Sonic collection it could be.

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

Has it been confirmed that there's no option to play widescreen in normal lives mode? Seems like an insane thing to not include, but given this is Sega, I'm kind of expecting them not to.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I've been saving up my microsoft reward points just to buy this, so i'll be on xbox.

A switch physical version is a dream I think will come true :P it'll just be a year later, wonder if we will get any kind of update between launch and then for more content.

4. I’d cross my fingers for Retro Engine Chaotix by Stealth, but who knows. Just having a physical edition is enough for me.

5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Per Sonic Central, it looks like Sonic 3's Competition Mode has been reworked to use full-res assets displayed in the same way as Sonic 2's 2P VS. mode. Hope we get to see them in Missions or another 1P mode too so we can see the art without all that stretching...!

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes! I wonder if Knuckles can glide in competition mode now.

Also, Knuckles' intro was still in Mushroom Hill for Sonic 3 weirdly enough. Wonder what that implies.

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Almost certainly - he had art for it in the original game anyway, presumably they just didn't want to give away his moveset ahead of time when the game got split (and then decided not to touch Competition Mode when locking on Sonic & Knuckles later down the line).

Strange indeed - I was convinced that if this was in it'd happen in Angel Island per, like, every fan 'Complete' Sonic 3 interpretation. Perhaps they'll have him warp to Angel Island via a Giant Ring once it's done? I doubt they'd do something so radical as shifting levels around for Knuckles' playthrough.

Although since you normally crash down into Mushroom Hill from the Death Egg's platform, and jump onto the Flying Battery straight afterwards, I guess there's technically no reason it couldn't turn out to have been right next to Angel Island all along...

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's interesting that the hosts in the Famitsu stream didn't show Sonic 3 competition mode even though the hosts were excited to play Sonic 2P VS. I bet Sega told them not to touch competition mode because it would reveal that it didn't have the MJ music.

Also, that "& Knuckles" joke doesn't seem right when Knuckles isn't in Sonic CD.

9. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    They showed Tails in S1 and Knuckles in S2 in Classic Mode. So thankfully not everything added to the mobile remasters has been stripped from Origins' Classic Mode.

The mission in Sky Sanctuary looks neat:

[​IMG]

I like that they're getting creative with these missions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That Knuckles intro cutscene taking place at Mushroom Hill has to confirm that there’s an option to play the games separately, since that scene only appears in the original S&K.

If the only option to play the games in Origins was locked on, then I’m willing to bet bottom dollar that Stealth and his team would definitely have changed the cutscene to take place in Angel Island (the 2014 proof of concept is evidence of this)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I hop
    I hope you're right, but it could also just be a case of SEGA vetoing the change of location as too different to the original, even if it doesn't make sense narratively. Here's hoping your take is the correct one though - I don't have much interest in replaying Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles separately, but it'd be neat to have the option for those who do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    So will they continue to advertise this with the tagline that all three are playable, despite what we know about Sonic CD?

-Edit- And it still bothers me that the Sonic 3 HUD is misaligned with the other 3 games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed about the HUD but I'd of rather them implement the new Sonic 3 HUD positioning across all 4 games. I think Sonic 3 is using the same HUD positioning as Mania save for the altered life icon area

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah I believe it’s due to the game being developed using RSDK v5 that the HUD is like that (same positioning as Mania’s HUD like Dark Sonic said)

Doesn’t mean it can’t be changed (I’m sure it can) but I don’t think they will.. it’s fine the way it is

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So I guess the appearance of Tails in classic mode Sonic 1 confirms that classic mode is still running Retro Engine, huh?

Anyway, nice to see S3 competition mode reworked on a visual level. Unfortunately I think it serves more as evidence against the zones being reimagined as full single player acts, but hopefully with the visual worked already done, SEGA let Stealth and co. go to town on them.

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The Sonic Central showed Sonic 3 2 player stages, and they did indeed have remade assets, which looked nice. However, it otherwise appears to be the exact same stages/modes.

The Knuckles Hidden Palace boss uses the full widescreen room with no barriers.

You can see Drop Dash being used in Sonic 1 in the footage.

Knuckles sleeping in Mushroom Hill is odd, to say the least. Either they somehow threw it into the midgame as a cutscene in his campaign, or you CAN play S&K and S3 alone somehow. A very unexpected showing, either way.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That much has been evident since the original trailer showed smooth rotations on the Green Hill Zone boss' wrecking ball - however, this is the first confirmation that they're not strictly adhering to the features from the originals in that mode, as Tails and Knuckles are evidently playable in games they weren't originally. Meaning it's likely just the aspect ratio and lives system that are different... Which again makes me wish the aspect ratio was just a toggleable option for either mode.

Really interesting to see more glimpses of the Mission Mode - glad the ones shown off so far are more creative than "Beat 5 Caterkillers and reach the goal" (which was shown off on one of the menu screenshots IIRC).

Also, I wish we could get some clarity on whether or not the section of the Data screen listing your best times also allows you to jump in and Time Attack the individual stages...! The lack of any confirmation for this mode does have me a little worried - I really enjoyed it in Mania as me and a friend kept challenging each other to beat our best times, so I can really see myself revisiting it a lot in Origins if it's in. Keeping fingers crossed - until the Famitsu stream all the 2P modes were under a similar question mark as nothing had been said either way, so hopefully it's the same thing going on here.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The competition zones are upscaled, holy crap! Could they use them in other modes?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I like the idea of upscaling the competition zones, though I admit I'm not sold altogether on the squashed aspect ratio in actual 2P split screen. Sonic 2 had it for an obvious reason, while I feel like the mini sprites worked better for minigame sized race courses in split screen.

Maybe Competition's Time Attack will be full screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's what I'm guessing/hoping for. It was always kinda stupid having that bottom second half just sit there empty. The scrunch is probably due to it running off the same 2 player engine Mania did, which treated 2 player like Sonic 2.

This will probably be the 1st time I've played competition mode in years btw. Even in complete and AIR, that mode is always left untouched and kinda janky. Now they've been upgraded I'll feel more tempted to actually play them

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List