don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    At this point, my main concern with CD is if we'll be able to select the Japanese soundtrack in Story Mode. If not, that is a gigantic bummer IMO. I'm guessing most people will only play through the entire story a few times, but I'd rather have the option so I don't spend the first playthrough wishing my preferred soundtrack was playing :,h

2. I'd assume that it will default to the original soundtrack, but hopefully the option to swap is still present in story mode for those that prefer the other one.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I don't know why they wouldn't just use illustration artwork of Sonic and co. given it'd look fine without needing tweaks on a per game basis and plethora of options doing so already exists, be that the original airbrush artworks from the classic trilogy, or existing artwork from Tom Fry or Tyson Hesse.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk why they didn't just make variants of the Sonic 3 save select for each game. Like is this the system Sonic 1, 2, and CD use but Sonic 3 does its own thing? That's a bit weird.

5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Seems to me like Sega treats the Japanese soundtrack as the default at this point, but yes, I hope the option is there. I prefer the Japanese soundtrack but occasionally throw on the US one to shake things up.

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Yeah I would hope the same, especially with JP Stardust Speedway being the default in Mania and Generations. I'm glad they've eventually come around on the original soundtrack, but I do hope the option to switch is there for US soundtrack fans (plus I still love US Palmtree Panic).

Also yeah, I'm baffled by the character select as well. I really feel like this compilation lacks any type of consistency, something that becomes clear with the horizontal roll lock in Sonic 1. It's a bit immersion-breaking, and probably will be especially so in Story Mode, but it seems SEGA doesn't want to do any work that they deem unnecessary, like making a uniform character select screen, getting rid of that annoying audio clipping when you select a character, or unifying the game engine versions.

I'm trying to look at this as less of a true unification of the classic quadrilogy, and more like Sonic Mega Collection with some extra bonus content and animations.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  7. Has any release of CD beyond the initial US launch used Spencer Nilsen's OST by default? I have no idea, as all versions I've played use the original.

8. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Gems Collection uses the US Sonic CD OST by default as does the PC version (at least in North America; can’t confirm if Europe got the Japanese soundtrack in their PC release)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The PC version released in the late '90s does (in all regions), as well as the NA/PAL versions of Sonic Gems Collection. I don't expect them to remove the US soundtrack in Origins, since it was there in the original remaster and this port's based on that remaster.

10. We know it is included iirc, I only assume that no region will default to it. I'm pretty sure the remasters on mobile, steam, and 360 defaulted to JP.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

In regards to the UI, didn't Sega themselves make it whereas Headcannon handled everything about the ports themselves? Would make sense if so, since it's kinda filled with awkward issues, inaccurate sprites and so forth, and besides the 3D models for the menu stuff it probably simply didn't get the same kind of attention the actual ports got.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I believe Stealth himself tweeted that the collection was developed internally at SEGA while his team focused on remastering Sonic 3&K and enhancing the other games

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Yeah, until the TaxStealth remaster, SEGA seemed to heavily favor the US soundtrack for every single release. For a long time there was very little sign of hope for JP soundtrack fans. We truly are living in a... Good Future :eng101:

tbh I have a lot of questions about Story Mode beyond that, but I feel like most of those questions won't get answered until release day

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Taxman heading up development of the mobile Sonic CD is what led to us getting both soundtracks as a simple toggle, no strings attached. Doesn’t seem like the kind of feature the money people at Sega would have cared about - it could have easily been included in Gems Collection and it wasn’t.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Here's the tweet:
    https://twitter.com/HCStealth/status/1516778620466851843?t=Jvpkmq2Ldg0SGnDj0vF3jw&s=19

No wonder the UI is so awful...

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    To that end, some further clarificaton:
    https://twitter.com/Head_cannon/status/1526736101108396033
    https://twitter.com/Head_cannon/status/1526736136197918721
    https://twitter.com/Head_cannon/status/1526744569789837312

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I've seen a few people say something like this... What's wrong with the UI? It looks just as good as anyone can ask for.

18. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    This completely explains the lack of Knuckles in CD. An internal team at SEGA could definitely handle the work of porting (and potentially reworking) code from Retro Engine games to other Retro Engine games, like the drop dash into every game in Origins, so getting Knuckles' abilities into CD shouldn't be a problem for them. But I'd be real surprised if, in the year 2022, they had anyone specialized in pixel art and able to do all the extra work needed to give Knuckles all the animations Sonic & Tails have in CD. And if they weren't going to have someone at Headcannon do it while they were contracted, I doubt they would've chosen to outsource it. It still sucks, and I think SEGA should've gone out of their way to make it happen, but at least it's not like they had Headcannon do a ton of work on extra features only to not task them on bringing Knuckles into CD.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

The reality is that Sega is not as interested in creating definitive versions as the fans are. Most consumers will not think much about Knuckles not being playable in Sonic CD, tacked on UI, etc. Taxman and Stealth only added near extras into Sonic 1, 2, and CD because they are passionate fans themselves.

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

Welp given Stealth’s post we now know why Knuckles isn’t in CD. We know that Taxman did some updates to the engine so is it possible that he added the dropdash to the past games? Or did he just update the engine so it would work within Origins as a whole?

Edit:
    Another thought. Since Headcannon wasn’t involved in mission mode than I’m guessing that the inclusion of the spinball location is Ian Flynn’s doing. I’m wondering if the location will serve a purpose in story mode.