don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Disappointed that Super Sonic's running animation still goes into the flying animation too quickly compared to Sonic 2 and 3

2. Linkabel

Linkabel

I was sort of expecting a Generations inspired UI, or something akin to Mega Collection since a lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for that compilation.

I don't find this one bad though.

3. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Not to mention showing the wrong Sonic sprite.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher

5. _Sidle

_Sidle

That's showing up as the same video that was linked here yesterday on my end, did you mean to timestamp something specific in it?

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Sorry, iI didnt know it was posted already.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ha, they kept the ugly jump sound in Sonic CD, I was hoping they would use consistent sound effects across all the games :(

8. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    > make it consistent
    > by making it the SA1 jump sound

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Edit : Redundant post

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    they should use that Modern jump sound that they've been using since '06

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Sega/ST/Dimps has actually been pretty consistent in that "retro" Sonic has a goofy-ass BOING kind of sound when he jumps, whereas "modern" Sonic has that more realistic jump sound ever since SA2. All the Advance titles, Rush, Sonic 4, Classic Sonic in Generations and Forces, Colors DS and probably some others I'm forgetting either use the Genesis sound effect as-is or something similar (I think for Gens/Forces it's the Sonic CD sound). The one that really seems to be an edge case is Lost World, both the console and handheld versions, which seems to be going for something somewhat in-between. Makes sense considering despite being a modern game it leans into the classic aesthetic more than any of the other 3D entries.

This has been my Ted talk.

12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I've always thought the CD jump was cute. What's wrong with it?

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Glad that Drop-Dash is confirmed for more than just Sonic 3 & Knuckles - looking forward to blasting through all the classics with it, Mania-style! Interesting to see that Super Sonic is enabled in Sonic 1's Anniversary Mode too, as opposed to just being accessible via cheat codes like the 2013 version. I wonder if that means the 7th Emerald/Special Stage are also enabled by default in that mode?

A shame no footage of Sonic 3 & Knuckles was featured - guess we'll have to wait a little longer before getting any answers on that one.

Also, very annoying that the character select for Sonic 1 uses the wrong sprite - I'd hoped that was just a case of early footage being used in the trailer. Hopefully they'll fix it before the actual launch, as that looks incredibly sloppy (and presuming it's the case for Sonic CD too, it'd affect half the games in the collection at least...!).

Re: the music - I can't tell over my terrible headphones whether it's the remastered tracks from the mobile ports or not. Can anyone with better facilities than me confirm? I can't see why they'd replace them, and even the extra music DLC describes the tracks added to the museum as 'remastered', which I'd assumed meant in the same manner as the soundtracks for the games themselves. At the same time, I know someone further upthread commented that in the clip the music sounded like the original Mega Drive versions, low-quality DAC samples and all. The only reason they might do this that I could think of is maybe difficulties remastering Sonic 3 & Knuckles' music, but unless the original tracks for Carnival Night/IceCap/Launch Base are in there after all with their plethora of vocal samples, I'm unsure what exactly those difficulties could be.

14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Honestly I really hope the remastering doesn't replace the crunchy vocal samples of 3&K, sonic 3 air did that and it just sounds weak.

Seriously, this stuff is just plain unsatisfying to listen to.

15. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    The clean vocals are actually one of my favorite parts of A.I.R. Assuming those songs do end up making the cut, I'll be bummed if they aren't similarly remastered knowing that it's possible with the original(?) samples.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's one of those things we as a community can never reach a consensus about, some people prefer the PSG jump sound, other people prefer the FM jump sound. Like the favourite Sonic sprites, or in general your favourite anything, food, color, sport, etc.

17. I honestly think the spike SFX from Sonic CD is way more disctracting than the jump sound. With that said, I think I'm probably fine with CD's exclusive SFX.

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Agreed - they're not my favourite, but they're very much part of CD's identity as a weird, alternate path of evolution from Sonic 1. Adding the option for Sonic 2-styled Spin Dash is fine as that's a quality-of-life improvement, but changing the sounds would seem like changing some of what's unique about the game's presentation compared to the main Mega Drive titles.

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

Unless there's a music remaster option in the game settings, it seems like Origins is just straight up using the OG music instead of remastered tracks like the mobile ports.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I greatly prefer the Genesis titles' jumping sound effect (to the extent that I prefer any of this), but CD having a different sound effect bank on top of a myriad of other things is kind of part of its charm. Another thing I always liked was how the timer in the HUD counted up the milliseconds as well, which obviously was introduced to the rest of the series via the mobile ports of 1 and 2 as well as Mania, but will still always feel unique to Sonic CD to me.