don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Apparently the songs in the "Classic Music Pack" are remastered too:

Source: Xbox Store

There's a rumor saying the all songs are going to be different from the originals in a way (maybe like the "Target" versions in generations?). I didn't thought too much of it until I read this description.

I hope the remastered results are the original Taxman remasters, but until we actually get a trailer with in-game audio I guess we'll be in the dark.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Don't forget, it's a kids' game. Average joe 11 year old will definitely not be able to tell the difference between the taxman's remasters and the originals, so I'm willing to bet it'll be something similar to the classic era act 1 remixes from generations.

3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The Chaotix soundtrack thing is pretty cool honestly, but I still take a pretty firm stance that it makes no sense to offer this music as DLC if you can only listen to it in the museum section of a video game. Might just be a me thing, but I feel like the days of listening to sound test songs are over. I used to listen to Sonic Pinball Party's sound test in the car through my GBA SP as a kid, but nowadays I would much rather they release the soundtrack on the Steam page as a DLC album. I don't know how often I plan on listening to the in-game sound test for any extended period of time.

Also, anyone expecting anything other than the TaxStealth remastered music, and a similar remastering treatment for Sonic 3K, I don't wanna say you can't get your hopes up, but expect SEGA to just leave the ports as they are. They almost 100% certainly aren't going to do a Generations style remix of every track... it'll just be the digital remasters they already have ready - ie, the original tracks mixed inside a modern DAW, with higher fidelity drum samples. Just a normal remaster.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    My best bet is that Sega just hasn't cared about Knuckles' Chaotix enough to bother rereleasing the soundtrack or the game. After all, it was an unsuccessful game for an unsuccessful add-on released late in the Mega Drive's lifespan. Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island sold 1,000,000 and 700,000 units respectively, the Sega 32X barely cracked 665,000. Even the Sega Game Gear beat the 32X with over 10,000,000 units sold. (Fun fact, the Sega Game Gear outsold even the Sega Dreamcast by about 1,000,000 units).

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    While it wouldn't make sense to remake the S1 and 2 OSTs it also doesn't make sense to include remastered Chaotix tracks, since the PWM already has much better quality drums than the Genesis DAC can produce.

The way sega handles OSTs can be pretty inconsistent so, while I'm not expecting remixes, the fact they're calling the DLC tracks remasters too may mean there is some truth in the rumor that all songs will be different to what we heard originally. Again I hope it's just the OG Taxman versions and not the "Target" treatment we got in Generations.

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm not sure what you're saying, I don't think anybody expected them to include remastered Chaotix tracks beyond a simple mix and higher fidelity drum samples. There is almost 0 chance they are remixing the S123K tracks, it's just a remaster. Even with PWM in the picture, the drum samples in Chaotix are quite limited, and regardless the tracks would still benefit from a proper mix, so I don't think this necessarily means they're going to be remixed or reimagined.

I also might've missed something, because I didn't think they were remastering the Chaotix tracks. I'm pretty sure they're going to be untouched.

Edit: saw the post above, seems they are remastered

7. Londinium

Londinium

Just noticed something peculiar about this image. This is taken straight from the Steam page for Sonic Origins, how come Sonic and Tails are entering from the right side of the screen as opposed to the left? It clearly says Act 1 on the screen. Maybe I'm out of the loop and this is some new thing everyone but me has heard, does anyone have an explanation for this?
    [​IMG]

8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's mirror mode.

9. Londinium

Londinium

I completely forgot Mirror Mode existed for a moment there, thanks for refreshing my memory there _oliver.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me hoping for Emulated Spinball, Chaotix, and 3D Blast as actual bonus unshockables in the game. Namely for the badly needed Chaotix rerelease, of course.

It 'is' an oddly specific set of OSTs to include for DLC after all. That'd put all the Genesis+ hardware titles (save Mean Bean Machine) in a single collection.

However, I know this isn't likely. Don't lecture me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Londinium

Londinium

I'm so desperate I literally would not care if Sega puts a crappy 4:3 aspect ratio ROM of Chaotix in Origins. Not only is that better than nothing, but I'm so desperate for a rerelease of it that Sega's droplet of water would feel like a waterfall to me.

But then again, I suppose that might lead into the awful possibility of Sega giving us subpar garbage rereleases in the future.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Chaotix needs an actual re-release. One with an original and arranged mode that actually makes the game a bit challenging/fixes bugs and stuff.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I'm really looking forward to Mission Mode.

It would be neat if other classic characters show up to assist/hinder Sonic/Tails/Knuckles in the missions. Sonic Generations did this, with characters showing up using their special abilities to help Sonic but the execution was poor (as the missions over-focused on the abilities and got repetitive).

Origins could use better design, so it's not so repetitive. They've got sprites for most of the characters already and because they aren't playable, I imagine it wouldn't be too much work to include them as assistants.

I'm not expecting it at all, but it would be neat if it happened. I'd love to race against Fang or have Bark use his punch to send the characters flying over obstacles.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm really looking forward to mirror mode. I've played these games for decades and have them at muscle memory almost now. This will help refresh all these games, especially Sonic CD which I'm probably the least familiar with of the 4 that one's gonna be a mess.

Can't wait.

15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    What's interesting about mirror mode is I actually figured you'd still be moving left-to-right, but the level layout would be flipped. I suppose it's just easier to do it this way, because if they did it the other way I don't know how they would handle bosses being at the start of the level lol

16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I looked over the store page repeatedly and didn't see it listed, but do we know for sure if the Epic Store version of Origins will have Denuvo or not?

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thing I'm looking forward to most is definitely the Story Mode - it'll give me a good excuse to run through all the games again, rather than just skipping straight to Sonic 3 & Knuckles to check out the remake straight away. I wonder if Sonic 2 onwards will have Tails follow you in the Story Mode, or just have Sonic alone? Sorta hoping the former for story reasons, as then the Story Mode would feature Tails in more than just cameo appearances.

Once I'm done with that I'll be happy to mix-and-match between games with characters other than Sonic, though I'll be most tempted to do Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles next since it's sort of an epilogue.

Also - am I right in thinking that there's no word on whether Time Attack modes will be included? It'd be an odd omission, given that the existing Sonic 1/2/CD remakes all already had it implemented. A friend and I got very into trying to beat each others' best times in Sonic Mania, and I'd love to be able to continue that easily with the full list of Zones from the classic Mega Drive era.

18. Pengi

Pengi

It wouldn't work even without the bosses. Too many one-way paths in levels like Marble Garden Zone.

19. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Goodness, imagine having to somehow trek backwards across a decrumbling Marble Garden or Sky Sanctuary...

20. Londinium

Londinium

Marble Zone Act 1 would literally be unbeatable