don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

Excellent summary. One slightly older and more speculative bit of Origins “news“ is that this clip Xbox’s social media posted during the Oscars MIGHT be footage of Origins:
    https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1508232467051864076?s=21

As you say most of this is pie in the sky stuff. That said a playable Amy and/or Metal Sonic is definitely a possibility, especially after the fans were so disappointed that she wasn’t playable in Mania plus. Tbh I was expecting Mighty and Ray to be ported over cuz they’ve already been made in the retro engine... but IIRC someone else pointed out in another thread that the newest version of the retro engine used for mania is actually very different than the one for the 2011-2013 ports... so we’ll see.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Significantly lower your expectations too :V, I don't expect anything more than a 16/9 port of sonic 3 and the taxman and stealth ports of 1/2/CD tbh

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    My far-off hope: each character playable in each game would be neat. Officially being Knuckles in Sonic CD would be a nice 2022 thing. My pie in the sky hope is a Metal Sonic sprite swap for Sonic since that's a running trend now...so it isn't going to take much for me to go "Ah, that's better than I expected" when we do see this thing, I guess. :V

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    @Snowbound you are correct.. CD ran on v3 of the Retro Engine, 1 & 2 ran on v4, and Mania ran on v5

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, everything beyond Amy and Metal Sonic being playable is pie-in-the-sky, and even that initial hope itself is unlikely. At the end of the day, I'd just be happy to play 16:9 versions of the classics on console/PC. Anything beyond that is a bonus, even including the key art we have for the game now.

6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]
    I'm still holding out hope for a spiritual successor Sonic Jam's "sonic world". It's not gonna happen and I'll be perfectly fine with that, but I can dream :V

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  7. _Sidle

_Sidle

upload_2022-4-18_14-39-49.png

The airbrush art is very nice. The green used on the Origins and bottom-glow is neat, wonder if the menus will carry that as a motif?
    I heavily doubt Amy, Metal, and Eggman being in the image means anything other than being a nice group shot of the important cast members of each included game.

• Knuckles backport to CD.
    • Revamp the Time Attack modes in all games to be more like Mania, with the reset button and lack of bosses. Add the 3K special stages since they're skill based, like CD and S1.
    • Take the expanded 2P VS mode from 2013-S2 and apply it to the other games. Have the screen options from Mania for stretching/normal size but cropped. No clue what would become of 3's weird 2P VS tho.
    • A gallery with more HQ concept art, like that one proto-Knuckles from last month. (Getting Yamaguchi S2 concept art was wonderful, would love to get more art of 3K robots like these existing ones: [][])

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I've not seen this brought up much but I hope they've worked something out with Sonic CD's JP Vocal themes. If they can work something out with Sonic 3's soundtrack, hopefully they can do this too.

I'd also like it if CD lets you could set certain tracks for specific instances. Like, for example if you could set the boss music to automatically be the US version so you don't have to keep going back to the main menu to set it, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

I didn't even think of that but it would be nice to have the vocals. Would make it more of a definitive version.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That’s also one of the things I’m looking for with this.. in 2012 they were able to release the CD OST with the vocals intact so I don’t see why they can’t do it this time

11. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    The artwork is lovely and it makes me excited about what the collection could be like.

I really hope it has ambient menus and background music like Jam/Mega/Gems did. I've spent literal hours just looking at the artwork and manuals while zoning out to the music.

Yeah, I would be positively euphoric if they did this again, Jam's hub world was so much fun. I've always had this fascination with Classic Sonic being in 3D spaces and this could be a great venue to try that again without devoting it to it's own entire game.

Ahh I'd better not rocket my expectations of this compilation so soon. I'd be happy with a solid widescreen collection of the Sacred Quintology all in one place, finally.

12. Peri

Peri

I just played through Jam pretty recently, I'm interested to see how this compares presentation-wise. The key art is nice - I feel like the poses are a lot more dynamic than what Sonic, Tails and Knuckles got for their Mania key art.

Still feels weird we dont have any idea who is actually making this! I feel like knowing that would help with the parameters of what all to expect.

13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yay, it's nice to finally get some news, even if it's just a rating and a nice piece of art.

Fingers crossed for a proper reveal soon, it's been an agonising wait.

Yeah, this has always bugged me. They were able to include the vocals (because SEGA finally bought the rights to them) in the 2011 20th anniversary OST and yet they weren't able to include them in Taxman's version of CD even though the OST released before the game. Surely there's no reason why the vocals can't be included in the Origins version.

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The thing you're waiting for is the mod community to get their hands on this collection. So much good stuff has already been done with the decompiled Taxman ports and Sonic 3 AIR, that if a lot of those mods just get ported to Origins, and you're okay with playing on PC, you're good to go.

And I'm glad to have this thread back. It's been too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Please god above let us have the Sonic 3 2P zones remade to play at the same scale as the rest of the game, with redone graphics to boot.

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Anybody expecting anything more than the "Sega Forever repackage" shill I think is going to be disappointed.

17. I just hope that the entire collection is built in the Retro engine or some fork of it. That's all I really want, although having the primary cast, or any new additions, playable in each entry would have me ecstatic.

18. Fadaway

Fadaway

Tokyo Toy Show demo! I'm kidding.

19. As I said earlier, I really loved this artwork, reminds a lot of the SEGA Saturn / Sonic Jam vibes.

Probably not gonna happen, but I really wanted they use some music from Sonic The Hedgehog ~ Remix (1994) and Virtual Sonic albuns for the menus, just because I think it's good and maybe would fit with it.

I probably said this already, but as for Sonic CD US soundtrack, it would be kinda nice if they use the album (Sonic the Hedgehog Boom) version of the stage themes, like this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game