don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    To be fair, we have no confirmation that these will be "Retro Engine" remakes though it seems highly likely they will be. All we know definitively is that all the games in the collection, including 3&K, will be widescreen.

2. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    Fair! Post edited accordingly. Fingers crossed, eh?

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I guess this means I'll have to update my steam collection to something more streamlined now, but it's nice to know I'll have an official option at least.
    SonicSteam.jpg
    Still hoping for this little tidbit of content to somehow be added. Porting the mod should at least be possible eventually...

6023faa8786e2.jpg

4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Can't get enough of collections of the classic games so I'll be picking this up...on every platform.
    It's about time the StealthTax remasters made their way to consoles and thanks to Katie from Sonic social media for confirming Sonic 3K will have widescreen. So it looks like we're getting a full set of remasters which is fucking awesome!

Think the drop-dash should be implemented and Knuckles needs to be added to CD.

I wish more games were being included, but this at least has the potential of being one of the best ever collections of the numerical games and CD.

5. MastaSys

MastaSys

I just hope this isn't a mistake in communication between internal parties and the "Widescreen" is actually a stretch option on a emulator :ruby:

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This is the first Sonic-centered compilation in forever so I’m definitely buying it. Nice to see S3K is finally out of purgatory.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They could stick half the library on a Blu-ray with space left to spare, but the kids wanted the games they already owned.

I look forward to Sonic 3 being presented exactly as it was in 1994, so the internet will talk about something else.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh God I'd hope they'd have more sense than that. Does anyone accept stretch 4:3 anymore?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not so much in video games, but it still occurs on TV. At least in the UK.

I came across ITV2 running old episodes of Family Guy the other day, and they're stretched to 16:9. HD channels usually preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio, but in SD, nobody cares. It might be a limitation of the broadcast - it was much more of a thing in the early 2000s where the accepted wisdom was that bigger = better, even if it made everyone fat.

Ignoring the fact these were anamorphic pixels so the resolution was actually the same size but blah blah blah who cares

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The preview video shows properly edited widescreen. "Original Gameplay" or not, that's flavoured false advertising if it just turns out to be stretched, especially since most compilations like the SEGA AGES versions have that option anyway.

The hud is shown in its original form however, not repositioned like in the Android version, suggesting it is new footage rather than just a quickly made clip of the remakes.

I feel like this will HAVE to have some level of remarkable extras and polish to it. These games have been rereleased ceaselessly (and half of them are already available of current consoles). I think if this were a bog standard emulation it would at least have the usual Mega Collection lineup of games over just four Megadrive titles.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Yes, but others upthread were considering the possibility of that post being the result of a mistake in communication between PR and the developers. Or maybe they just want to shut people up for now.

I'd hope they're making this compilation meatier considering we're not supposed to be getting it for months yet, but then perhaps Sega have farmed it out to one of their B teams, who are either taking development more slowly or have severely cut-down numbers.

12. nesboy43

nesboy43

I wonder why this is for 2022? Wish there was some more information.

I have the originals anyways so not like I'm dying to buy these again, new features would be fun though.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

I honestly have to wonder if the music issues got circumvented, resolved or what. People will always demand the OG soundtrack, but if they did have to reimplement the originals, would the songs be remastered to be up to snuff instead of direct prototype ports? Would they be entirely new tracks? So forth and so forth. Meanwhile "additional features" and the "original gameplay" disclaimers on the mobile port footage too makes it sound like they want to do more than just slap the old mobile ports together.

We really do need more info.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And I'm sure we'll get it in time. The announcement wasn't even 12 hours ago!

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    To my knowledge, the M2 versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are all 4:3, right? And did they fix the sprite issues in Sonic 1, such as his kicks lacking the straps in certain animations? Because I noticed from the trailer that’s not am issue here, so we could really be getting the Taxman remakes, which would make this worth it for me.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Hey, whatever the OST ends up being, we'll always have the modding community to let us customize it however we like.

17. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    The amazon fire tv / apple tv versions have the proper hud placement, so they could've just taken footage from those as well. Not that it matters.

What I really would like to see happen here is for the issues with the Taxman remakes to be resolved. I somehow doubt that will be the case though.

18. Not to hate on the guy, but Zippo does not deserve any credit for what we have seen thus far.

I particularly thought his comments on the SA remakes was crap, since them being developed in 2015 makes no sense at all given what we know about Forces development timeline. Also, ST have shown nothing but trepidation concerning the 'adventure era' and have repeatedly said they're not interested in revisiting it now. Even after being asked numerous times by fans about plans to make SA3, they've said essentially, "....NO....", even Takashi Iizuka himself, the guy who made the damn games in the first place and now boss of the series.

As others have mentioned he also got the Sonic collection very wrong.

19. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    What issues are you referring to? Because with minor bugs they would probably leave them in and focus on adding rather than fixing.