don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Hidden Palace is in the trailer, so it's there.

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Proto Palace was an unlockable in the Sonic 2 mobile port that I believe was taken out of later updates. It was a 1:1 recreation of the zone seen in the beta, playing the Track 10 music.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Story Mode should be Sonic and Tails. it's the default setting in Sonic 2 and 3. The cutscenes of Sonic 2 are designed around Sonic and Tails. Sky Chase makes no sense if Tails isn't following Sonic.

I'll consider it a real blunder if Story Mode isn't Sonic and Tails.

4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    No, it's still playable in the mobile port. Just played it on my android phone which has the latest version. The code to access Proto Palace via level select is 03, 03, 03 0B, 10, 10, 10, 04.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Good to know, I must have been thinking of Egg Gauntlet.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I wouldn't expect that "play as Sonic" in story mode necessarily means "Tails doesn't follow you". just that you can't play as Tails or Knuckles which makes perfect sense.

7. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I'm hoping Tails joins Sonic for 2 and 3 as well - feels like an easy enough adjustment that fans could bug Sega for in a patch if it's not included.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

When we lack details, people tend to get literal-minded about these things to the letter, huh?

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think it's likely that Story Mode will be Sonic and Tails. It'll just be dumb if isn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I do wonder if knuckles' campaign will be present in story mode.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It would make 0 sense to have Tails follow you in the Sonic 1 or CD portion.
    I didn't consider the possibility of him joining the team after the Sonic CD > Sonic 2 cutscene, though. I guess it would make sense if that were the case.

How would it be if you can only play as Sonic?

12. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    The way I interpreted the only play as sonic thing is that sonic is the only character that can play through story mode in the sense that you can't choose to play through the entirety of story mode as knuckles or tails but that doesn't mean you don't play as them (or have them following you) as a part of story mode.

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I just went back through the archives of SEGA’s streams and noticed that we got our first look at Colors Ultimate gameplay on 8/5/2021 (little less than a month from release)

If they follow the same routine here, then Origins gameplay should definitely be shown off during their next stream (5/26/2022).. it would be less than a month at this point

I know Katie teased “maybe” during their last stream but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.. here’s hoping
    (They will definitely not show off any Sonic 3 gameplay between now and release day for obvious reasons :V)

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Not only it would make sense; if they do things right, they also get a chance to reference this image in the cutscene:
    [​IMG]

Just imagine Tails showing up at the end of Metallic Madness driving that car, goggles and all.

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    They’ll show gameplay of Ice Cap, but the sound will cut out and be replaced with the Benny Hill theme song.

16. ELS

ELS

Hey for some random fan to just do? That's quick. I did think it was done a lot earlier though, could be wrong. Still pretty lame it's not confirmed though.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That mod took a decade to come out, but that's because it was a script mod that had to port him over completely from scratch, and it really only got full development once the games were fully de-compiled.

Luckily, this time the engine for all 4 games is likely to be unified, meaning Knuckles can be ported much more efficiently, if literally not unlocked by triggering just a few values in the code for all we know. Plus all the existing sprites in that mod could be ported over as well.

18. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie

Not seen this posted here yet, as far as I know. Appears to be footage from a preview of the game.

Things of note:

- Footage appears to be from the Switch version of the game
    - Liberal use of the Sonic World theme from Sonic Jam
    - Clunky character selection screen and loading ring icon between Zone transitions
    - Drop dash and Super Sonic confirmed in Sonic the Hedgehog for Anniversary mode
    - Sonic 2 Hidden Palace footage, reconfirming that Knuckles & Tails mode will be in Anniversary mode
    - Weird selection sound effect present between the Mystic Cave to Hidden Palace transition?
    - Footage of Mission title cards and footage of Sonic CD and Sonic 2 missions, featuring a unique HUD

I'm sure more could be gleaned from this footage if someone could translate the (Korean?) text into English.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I tried hearing as best as I can for the selection sound effect in the MCZ to HPZ transition but I couldn’t hear anything.. seemed to flow seamlessly in my opinion. The selection sound was a clear copy/paste from Mania.

I’m curious as well to know what the two sub-options are when picking Anniversary mode (perhaps choosing between unlimited and limited lives??)

The one thing I find kinda weird is the way you choose a mission and it just transitions straight to gameplay.. perhaps that’s how the footage was edited? That’s the only part I found to be a bit rough but other than that it looks really good.. love the callback to Sonic Jam

EDIT: The way the menu music suddenly stops and goes straight to the level music when choosing missions is something I have to get used to.. it’s a strange thing to think about, I know, but in due time I’m sure I’ll forget about it

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It looks like Mission mode predicts the grade you will get while playing, which is rather handy!
    I'm disappointed that Hidden Palace is still using Mystic Cave 2 Player music. Given how much Sega loves their Sonic remixes, I was hoping they would have composed something new.