don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'd say they did it quite nicely before with the first Riders. Every now and then I still read comments asking why none of the actual Riders games didn't look like the character artwork or the Production I.G. opening cinematic.

[​IMG]

I'm very much in agreement with @Frostav though that the Sega that allowed the above to happen is of a bygone era. The stimulating creative flourishes from the wellspring that is Team Sonic Racing are what we have to contend with now for future Sonic racing games.

2. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    So switching gears from the inescapable vortex that is the "classic vs. modern" debate, here's some baseless speculation!

My dream scenario for a Sonic series is an animated expanded take on the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Allow me to paint a broad picture:

The first episode opens in the middle of the final battle in Sonic 2. People know these characters, we don't need another origin story. Just start in on the action immediately and establish the Sonic, Tails, Robotnik character dynamics right off the bat.

They banter, they fight, they beat Robotnik, and the end of Sonic 2 plays out. Death Egg falls from space and Sonic and Tails escape the wreckage assuming the job is done.

Cut to a few months later; Sonic and Tails are chilling on the beach, OVA style. Tails picks up some weird energy readings out in the ocean. They hop in the Tornado and go check it out. Cue the opening to Sonic 3. After landing and getting ambushed by Knuckles, the first episode ends.

Now from here, I'd like to see ideas from S3&K embellished and expanded. Angel Island is an excellent setting full of unique locations and a history that could be expanded on.

Each episode could feature Sonic and Tails journeying through new locations encountering wild puzzles and traps. Knuckles could be a reoccurring Team Rocket-esque antagonist. Along the way they uncover history about the island that involves deeper story telling about the ancient echidnas. Mecha Sonic shows up every now and then as a serious threat. Maybe other new characters are somehow living on the island and they have their own stories. I'd enjoying seeing a "Knuckles redemption arc" where he slowly learns to open up and trust Sonic. There's just a lot to do on Angel Island in my opinion, and of course the over arching goal of the show would be to find Robotnik and stop his plans.

Anyways, that's my self indulgent wish for a Sonic series lol.

Realistically, I don't think there's any chance of getting something like this.

I'm fully expecting a 2D animated movie tie-in project where Sonic and the residents of "Green Hills" get into light-hearted goofy shenanigans and that's it. No deeper Sonic connection, no overarching plot, no character growth or progression. I'm picturing Sonic Boom the show just in the movie universe.

I will be very surprised if it's anything other than a movie tie-in.

3. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    It's 3D animated and the teaser image showed the silhouette of Modern Sonic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Woops, missed that it was 3D but my speculation still stands. As for the Modern Sonic silhouette, I don't trust vague teaser images from Sega after they used the Sonic R "R" logo to tease Team Sonic Racing. :flunked:

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Oh this is a GOOD logo. I love it.
    I wonder if the "shattered glass" aesthetic has anything to do with the plot? More dimensions traveling ala Mania/Forces maybe?

edit: nailed it:V

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  7. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    • List
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sonic or not, I'm so over multiverse stories. Hollywood is obsessed with them and convoluted timelines right now and I just don't give a fuck, like holy shit.

But if I cast that aside, this actually sounds promising based on what very little we can glean. I'm cautiously optimistic. The logo is really awesome at any rate. And I still hope that this start a core cast of Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Shadow. I really want it to give focus to the characters we know already, rather than being only tenuously related to the games, which are of course the central pillar of Sonic.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

• List
  11. So the cracked logo, and a talk about Sonic having some sort of redemption, and the fact that its a multiverse series is REALLY giving me the vibe that they're actually gonna reset the continuity with this entry.

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A journey of self discovery and redemption huh? Interesting.

Also as dumb as multiverses are, I think if done right they could touch on a lot of Sonic history. It'd be crazy if the multiverses were like the classic universe, the boom universe, the SatAM universe. It'll never work that way but hey it'd be neat to see.

14. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Into the Sonicverse comfirmed boyss

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That'd be nice but realistically we're probably looking at new specific-to-the-series entries.

24 episodes, no-one's mentioned that yet so far. I also hope it's not a reboot that's going to stretch outside of the show.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic Prime, on Netflix not Prime.

Well done.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    A stock name. But a good one. 2021: new game, 2022: Sonic Prime?

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I agree with @Blue Blood that multiverse stories are usually very tiresome, but I will watch it with an open mind.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    This frightens me. Sonic doesn’t need to be upended with a whole new brand name identity and to do so would show that SEGA have learned all the wrong lessons. I hope it’s set in the main series without any obligatory design or character changes, I expect it to be some short-lived spin-off that’ll lose its relevancy within five years’ time but good lord I’m desperate for it not to be used to rebrand Sonic.

Anyway, 24 episodes. Doesn’t necessarily tell us what the format of the series will be but I’m absolutely ready for them to try a serialised format again after Boom.

That said, what we do know about the series doesn’t fill me optimism.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah I have to stress that although I'm so incredibly tired of this trend... so far the trend has produced lots of good products. And this premise just sounds so action focused, and like there's actually going to an over-arching plot. Even if every episode is self-contained the plot doesn't develop too much over time, I'm really happy with what we know so far. There's a lot left to learn so it could all change, but yeah. I can't help but be interested in this so far.

Still salty that Smith won't be a part of it though.