don't click here

Sonic Nebulous

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Game Collector, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I am surprised a topic about this game did not appear after typing it in the search bar on this site. People on youtube have hacks and fangames that don't seem to make it to sites like this one.

Here are some videos:

a final boss

older version trailer

some characters even have guns, like Fang. Reminds me of Super Metroid mixed with Sonic in some ways

This game has some interesting concepts and some parts of it don't look too bad, but one thing it lacks is full sprite sets. Rather than the whole sprite moving when you run, the character's body stays still most of the time and the only thing that moves are the characters' feet. After a while I thought it looked kind of funny. But hey, it makes it easier on the maker of this game so maybe they will actually finish this one.

This game ain't no Retro Sonic XG but it's still interesting and not bad for a fan game.

The actual website is here and there is a link to download demo version 3.0. It actually lets you play quite a bit of the game, use quite a few characters and save the game progress

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I hate the character sprites. They do not match the style of the series it's based on or the genesis....

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    When I saw Espio's gameplay, all I could think about was a Yoshi

5. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Yeah, Pure Chaotix looks good as well. It seems to change the level layout and remove the magnetic ring, making the game play more like other Sonic games.

I tried downloading Sonic Nebulous to my laptop last night and plugged it into my big screen TV and it looked great on there. I just can't wait till some of the other fan games are completed as well. This one is nearing completion though. With only Rotor needing 10% more work and some more levels to be completed 100%.

I personally think Espio is quite hideous in this game, and think it's cool how he can eat enemies like Yoshi.

On youtube there was also someone else planning on putting Sonic 1, 2, 3 & K into one game who is not a member of Sonic Retro. It seems other people come up with some of the same ideas as members here.

Some of the ideas I had for a fangame are present in Sonic Nebulous, but the character roster is quite different and so are the graphics. There are plenty of Sega's Sonic characters that are missing, while my idea included most of them and used very few Archie characters.

If I ever get around to working on something like this, it would probably turn out like a brighter complementary game to this. I like the idea of never requiring use of other characters and just being able to start at any level you have been to as one character with someone else.

I'd possibly let you change characters in the middle of the game from a menu like in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES and make character exclusive obstacles, or let you choose different characters before each level like in X-Men 2: Clone Wars for Genesis and exclude character specific obstacles. I'm a long way off though, as I don't think either of my computers is good enough.

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Pure chaotix is fucking amazing. Like, that is exactly the direction I would rather have seen Sonic go, rather than like, Sonic Rush, for instance. Or even Sonic Advance 2. Or even Sonic Adventure. :/

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The multilayered level like that is an interesting idea, but I don't feel it was pulled off very well in the video, and the level felt particularly empty.

I'll chalk up most of that to it being a WIP game, though. Hopefully it doesn't control like Chaotix without the ring energy, though.

8. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    More information on this?

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Planning = Dreaming?

...Or it's a Fangame.

11. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
  12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    What program does he use to make these fangames, anyway?

13. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    If I'm not mistaken, he uses Game Maker. I could easily be wrong though.

14. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I believe it's actually Multimedia Fusion.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I dunno, it's not really doing anything for me.

Other than motion sickness, that is.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    That's because he slapped Sonic on it. We all have a very basic vision of how Sonic should be done in 2D. If this were an entirely original property, he could totally blow your mind since he could do some crazy shit with what he has and not be constraint to what people see as the "norm".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.