don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic 2

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 9, 2019.

1. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    I'm sure we can use those, since GoldS did create the maps.

2. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I mean, go nuts, but I'm sure SonLVL can make better and more accurate maps of the Simon Wai prototype by this point.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The OST could be referring to it as just an unused track simply to avoid confusion. People who are unfamiliar with Sonic 2's development history and purchase the soundtrack would be puzzled to hear that there's seemingly a level called Hidden Palace they don't remember in Sonic 2.

Regardless of whether it was meant to be HPZ's theme or not, the fact it was assigned to HPZ after this one was scrapped is pretty puzzling. It's definitely not a result of the order of the tracks being shuffled around during development, since the track order is the same in September '92 prototype (which already has track 10) as in the final. The only possible explanations I can think of are poor communication (ie: someone assigned it unaware that HPZ had been scrapped), and the ones suggested by Hez.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Okilydokily. I'll work on getting them up, and if SonLVL can do better maps then I suppose they can be replaced.

5. 19XX

19XX

This. The simplest explanation based on our knowledge of the Sonic 2 development debacle. Until we know the truth, someone add this to the wiki.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    This is a really interesting breakdown. It would be neat to see a similar breakdown for other stages. Maybe even document chunk differences on the wiki with a timeline comparison showing art updates and reordering.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes it would be helpful to have images of all the chunks and tiles of all the levels from all of the builds.

(we actually already have some for later games)

The wiki wants most things. It doesn't matter if there's no obvious page to show them off yet.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Chemical Plant Zone, alpha build.

If you skip past the "rising water + moving blocks" part in act 2 using a spindash and a well timed jump, the game seems to get confused about whether Sonic is underwater when it rises later on.

[​IMG]
    The game registered that I was underwater (when I wasn't), started playing the broken countdown music, and then locked the screen. Apparently I have drowned in the above screenshot.

So that's a thing.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    IIRC, that is due to the Tails object drowning.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You're correct - Tails can't drown in the Wai proto but he can drown in the Alpha and break everything for Sonic.

He's a proper liability.

11. Which alpha? We have multiple alpha builds of the game available.

12. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Anyone know whether the Wood Zone background scroll code that was found in Sonic 2 REV 00 exists in the August build? If not, it seems as if there was an odd last minute update to both WZ and HPZ (autospin object) before the eventual removal of these zones.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Just from seeing the video, it doesn't seem to have any scrolling. This does support my theory that the coding, art, and other various tasks seemed to be tasked to certain teams last minute, and then compiled together near the end. Especially if a document handed to some coders said "Slot 01 needs this paralaxing at these points, Level slot 02 requires this...etc etc.". It would explain the HPZ changes after the level was removed.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I know you don't like it but it is labeled as such (versus pre-beta).

It's Sega's naming scheme.

15. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Is anybody else amazed by the amount of work put into this game in such a short amount of time? These developers were extremely talented, if only they were given a few more months, maybe we would have saw HPZ in the final game.

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    ...well, they were paid to do it, it was for a living. It's not like they did it during their free time whilst doing another job d=

17. Off-topic, but there's less than 25 hours until we learn what drx has got in store for us for the final day of Sonic Month!

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Oh man, I am so excited for this. I’m getting my hopes up way too much, but I hope with all my heart that it’s the Sonic 1 Proto that that guy’s dad has in his storage compartment.

If I die before the day that thing is released I’m going to die an unhappy man.

19. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I don't know that I would use the word talent for cramming the development of like half the game in just the last month :p But uh sure, they got a lot done in that mighty September crunch.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Also, we're not entirely sure exactly sure that more wasn't already done. Again, with teams very likely being split up, they may have had "stable" code and WIP code. Some dev teams probably handed them stuff that they know would work for a demo to be compiled for magazines. I'm willing to bet that's why some stuff is wildly different, while other stuff remains similar to other builds. It probably went along the lines of "Yo, we need to get a test build out to Magazine A company, lets get something going! Hey coders, hows your stuff?" "Its not done, use the stuff on disk A from a month ago" "OK, Music team...." etc. I find it hard to believe these builds had exactly every single thing up to date in each department.