don't click here

Sonic Megamix: Now on Ebay

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SonikkuForever, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megamix is flawed in a lot of ways but it's the one of the most complete hacks and also the most publicized. Advanced Edit isn't finished, Robotnik's Revenge is fun, but doesn't introduce anything new, and Retro Remix is still fairly new and unpublicized.

Maybe we'll see a pirated version of Sonic 2 XL in the future. :v:

2. If you're REALLY opposed, why not message everyone who left feedback having bought the game from this seller and tell them exactly what they're buying. Some might request a refund.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    As if Megamix v3 is finished.

;)

4. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

Looks like the auction is already gone. They tried doing the same with the Streets of Rage Remake a while back, hence why Bombergames put in a disclaimer in the game to deter the activity.

5. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
  6. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    I haven't been here in a while, I'm just posting to say this is fucked up. What can really be done about it? Thankfully, I'm sure nobody's gonna' buy it, but- . . . Jesus Christ, I can actually count on one hand a small handful of people who would actually fall for this shit.

Where's my phone.

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Why would anybody do this? I mean, sure, getting some quick bucks always makes sense, but selling an obvious fan-made game? For $44 plus $4 shipping? C'mon, the console is older than 20 years.
    Also, Team Megamix or Sonic Retro won't get any new attention, really. The idiot that buys this crap either doesn't care about the creators or will be just ending up as a "I like Megamix, approve me!" Pending Member (yes, they do exist, I've been in that status long enough to know :V).

... uhm, what?!

8. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    What exactly does "Asian-Style Import" actually mean, anyways.

Guys, get it quick! It's also a. . "very rare collectors item!!"!!

9. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I'n guessing it is a shitty cartridge that will self-destruct (aka not work) after one use made in Asia.

10. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    Haha, that's the kind of thing I'd love to advertise on all of my products. "Shit falls apart after 2 uses! ONLY 12.99 SHIPPING!!!"

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This is not all that strange at all. I've seen quite a few guys selling Sonic Megamix reproductions, some good, some pretty bad like that one. And people who has bought them thinking it' a very rare OFFICIAL game. I remember a guy, who here in spain goes around Message boards telling he's the biggest sonic collectorin the world, with a really huge collection of merchandise and games ( he even has that sonic slot machine with the sonic band video), bragging about he has bought megamix, a very rare cancelled official sonic game... I had to facepalm. A few times, in fact.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I want to believe that winky face is implying something good.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes. It implies that Megamix v3 isn't finished. There is Megamix v4 out there right now, and maybe they're still working on that, I honestly forgot, lol.

14. Interrobang Pie

Interrobang Pie

Get a load of palm. Member
    England
    Something that must be kept a SUPER SECRET.
    I thought it was cancelled long ago. :|

Honestly, those scruvy dogs be fools!

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's been cancelled about 15 times. Not sure if anything's being done at the moment, though.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Somebody should buy me a copy of this.

This made me smile.

As I said when I released it, Megamix 3.0 is and has always been a functionally complete release. Changes past it were planned and have been followed through with, but they were never assured. Always treat Megamix 3 as the last 100% complete and stable release until we release the final version. 4.0 is obviously superior, but it's very much a prototype build. Don't take it as particularly representative as the planned final product.

Bite me.

Maaaaaaaaaaaybe.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Guys these cartridges are manufactured in bulk to cater for the smaller markets within Northern China and Russia (and various outlying countries).
    ^ this cartridge design is especially common

but as stupid and illegal as it is... there's not much going on in terms of official electronic products in those regions. Piracy is high and nobody ever catered for them properly, including Sega. While you were done with your Mega Drives these countries were only starting to get used to the NES being around (though it wasn't the NES, it was a series of famiclones mostly revolving around the "Dendy"). They don't have Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s to play with (unless they want to waste large sums of money) so they end up with things from yesteryear. The internet kindly provides them with ROM sources to make manufacturing easy. It's a strange fact of life but it's either pirated games or no games.

plus if it's any consolation I doubt they'll be making a huge profit. Enough to stay in business but not enough to buy yachts or whatever.

18. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    The consensus here seems to be that it's an insult, but I'm with Rika Chou. This would give me the hardest ego-boner ever.

19. I understand the "boo pirate" angle, but why is everyone shouting that this isn't worth that price? Yeah the label's garbage and the lack of a case is a shame, but still, that's Megamix v3 playable on a genesis. How is that not fucking awesome? I want one, where can I get a repro without supporting pirates?

20. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Would the universe explode if I (or any other Megamix member) bought a copy of a hack that we helped make and distribute in the first place?

Or maybe only I would :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.