don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

As someone with no technical knowledge I’m also curious if this means that future mods will abandon the steam release and require the decomp? To be clear It’d absolutely be worth it for custom bosses and gimmicks… I’m just curious.

Edit:
    “Abandon the steam release” was bad word choice here as it’s my understanding that the steam release is required for the decomp. Tbc I haven’t sent the decomp up, & I currently do not intend to, but I didn’t want to confuse anyone due to poor word choice

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  2. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Gah, it's the worst feeling when you're so engrossed in a Mania mod you forget you're playing Mania... then you get to the end of the stage and the swingly ball thing appears and the magic is gone.

3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm pretty excited about the decompilation since Sonic Mania is my favourite Sonic game.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I wonder if the decomp has exposed any unused content we hadn't unearthed yet as I haven't taken the time to look through it.

also Sonic Mania on the Game Boy Advance please and thank you

5. Looking forward to a Mac port. Having every classic available there in their best release will be fantastic. I stopped playing the PC version before big mods came out, so I’m also looking forward to seeing what people have/will cook up.

6. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Has anyone managed to get mac versions of S1F and S2A going?

7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Well first step is to make sure you have Sappharad’s ports of the decomps installed (base 1.3.0) After that, I have been able to install the mod versions of both Forever and Absolute (since that’s really the only way you can play them on Mac) and they all play flawlessly.. same with CD Restored (although that mod is a teeny bit more complex to get going, it’s a great experience once it’s up and running)

8. Algo922

Algo922

Really hoping to see an IOS port now with the de-compilation. Having Sonic Mania on the-go without having to bring my switch would be a godsend.

Would much rather have one device with me when I'm out than two devices.

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is the complete source code for mania, PLUS a fully-featured modding API. Basically, anything is possible now if you know C++.

Unfortunately due to the differences in how code mods work on the Steam version, existing code mods don't work, and will have to be rewritten. Mods written for a specific version won't work on another version if they have code changes. Any mod that DOESN'T have code changes of any kind should be perfectly cross-compatible.

There's also a few minor differences between games that still need to be ironed out; for example, the boss music playing too early during the Green Hill Zone Act 2 boss.

One more thing: the release version of RSDKv5 on GitHub intentionally disables Plus features for legal reasons. To get Plus content, you'll have to build RSDKv5 yourself.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. Yeah, it was a pretty straight forward install if I recall correctly. Once the decomps are set up you just drag them into the folder. I think you just make a “mod” folder and keep that in the folder enclosing the app.

11. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

VITA IS SAVED!!!

https://github.com/SonicMastr/Sonic-Mania-Vita

It works almost perfectly, Special Stages are painfully slow, however this is due to render limitation so might not get too much improvement without some major magic... But... Vita Mania is here!

12. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    You know, when I said that the other day, I didn't expect it to actually happen. I love this community. I have nothing more to add, I will be downloading it and playing it at the first moment I can.

13. I'm wondering where the save files are stored for both this and the original Sonic Mania so I can bring my save data over...

Also a little curious as to if it is possible to change between the release and v1.06 versions of the Metal Sonic Phase 3 fight…

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    All of that info is on the GitHub page. The answer is yes to everything, by the way.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lovely to see that Mania may experience a whole new level of mod support... now to figure out how to set everything up. Even with instructions looking at them yesterday looked like another language or something.

I was a bit baked though I'll try when not stoned (or not as stoned :eng99:)

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The Retro Engine supported the Dreamcast back in the day...

Hint hint.

17. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Could this mean being able to play all 14 Special Stages in one regular playthrough S3&K-style??

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Ooh, a Hyper Sonic mod that re-instates the Super Emeralds? I'd install the decomp in a heartbeat for that! Mania's WAY too long of a game to have just seven emeralds!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  19. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Jesus Christ, that sounds much better than the final.