don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  2. Trying my luck with Time Attack mode has led me to discover a few routes I had never seen before, most notably in Hydrocity Act 1 (I counted two paths that were completely new to me in that level alone). I like to mix things up every time I revisit a level, so I wasn't expecting to have so much left to uncover at this point. A quick glance at those level maps that were posted earlier tells me I'll be finding new things for a long time. The level design in this game is just fantastic, really. I rank it higher than any other classic Sonic (though S3&K comes close).

Speaking of Time Attack, Eggman set up a rather humorous trap for me in Studiopolis (and by that I mean I fell off the stage after crossing the goal post):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpyUwJp38M

Interestingly, the quick restart button wouldn't work after that. Maybe the game got confused as to which mode I was playing or something.

3. RandomTBush

RandomTBush

I apologize if I sound a bit nitpicky here, but there's a glitch with one of the animations in the game that I noticed while organizing the sprites for The Spriters Resource. Specifically, the Phantom Ruby's glint effect at the end of Egg Reverie:
    [​IMG]

The first five frames of animation for it are glitched, and not in a way I had expected. Using a quick QuickBMS script I'd written to help me with animation parsing (yeah, I know there's an animation editor being worked on), I found the problem.
    Code (Text):
    1. Flash Add, Frames: 19, Speed: 1, Loop: 0
    2. FRAME 1: File: 0, Delay: 38, Start: 88,154, Size: 0,0, Offset: 0,0
    3. FRAME 2: File: 0, Delay: 2, Start: 1,153, Size: 29,19, Offset: -13,-12
    4. FRAME 3: File: 0, Delay: 2, Start: 31,153, Size: 56,7, Offset: -26,-6
    5. FRAME 4: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 88,153, Size: 37,40, Offset: -17,-22
    6. FRAME 5: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 126,153, Size: 24,38, Offset: -10,-22
    7. FRAME 6: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 151,153, Size: 25,38, Offset: -10,-21
    8. FRAME 7: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 177,31, Size: 33,43, Offset: -13,-22
    9. FRAME 8: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 211,31, Size: 29,29, Offset: -12,-18
    10. FRAME 9: File: 0, Delay: 4, Start: 1,51, Size: 47,47, Offset: -21,-26
    11. FRAME 10: File: 0, Delay: 5, Start: 49,39, Size: 35,35, Offset: -15,-20
    12. FRAME 11: File: 0, Delay: 3, Start: 85,72, Size: 33,33, Offset: -14,-19
    13. FRAME 12: File: 0, Delay: 3, Start: 119,72, Size: 28,28, Offset: -11,-17
    14. FRAME 13: File: 0, Delay: 4, Start: 148,72, Size: 25,22, Offset: -10,-13
    15. FRAME 14: File: 0, Delay: 2, Start: 174,75, Size: 22,19, Offset: -8,-11
    16. FRAME 15: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 197,75, Size: 9,9, Offset: -2,-6
    17. FRAME 16: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 207,75, Size: 5,17, Offset: 0,-10
    18. FRAME 17: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 213,75, Size: 17,3, Offset: -6,-3
    19. FRAME 18: File: 0, Delay: 1, Start: 231,75, Size: 3,3, Offset: 1,-3
    20. FRAME 19: File: 0, Delay: 30, Start: 88,33, Size: 0,0, Offset: 0,0
    The sprites for that are all present, but for some reason the offsets for them are all set to be at Y offset 153... but the sprite sheet's height is only 128, which means it's reading from an invalid position! Hopefully this can be corrected in a later patch, all that needs to be done is to change the height offset from 153 to 31, and then it animates as it should:
    [​IMG]

(And on another note, Shardroid over at tSR mentioned how the green and white emeralds have yellow/purple pixels respectively that aren't coloured correctly. But now I'm being extremely nitpicky.)

4. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Good investigative work! I imagine this is another side effect of the game having been rushed towards the end.

5. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I noticed that, but I genuinely thought it was an intentional visual choice, using "glitchy" visual effects to convey the fabric of reality tearing around the Phantom Ruby. Interesting to know that's not the case.

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So, some kind of bug happened to me when I was playing today. I reached enought point to get an extra life at the end of a stage, but I didn't get one. Then, when the next level started, I destroyed a badnick and I gained an extra life. Thinking back, I don't think this is the first time it happened to me.

So hey, in case anybody's wondering why they're randomly gaining extra lives sometimes, I guess you know why now :v:/>/>

I still wonder what triggers this bug though... most of the time I can get extra lives at the end of a stage without any problems

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Some things I managed to do by exiting a competition level and then selecting a level through the Dev Menu in the PC version:

(in an album for sharing and size)

If this is old news... sorry. I haven't kept up with this thread in a while.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Same here. It almost looks like an intentional 'motion' when seen in action, and it's been pointed out on certain videos that Infinite has a sort of glitchy effect around him (such as in 00:34 of the 'Enter Infinite' video), so I figured it was a legit thing.

Ah well, I do wonder what may get fixed in the future. I'm holding out on my last Save Slot (solo Sonic, no Emeralds) to run through and see if/when a big update comes (or just something to play on the final evening before Forces lands!)

9. RandomTBush

RandomTBush

Ah, so the visual glitch was already known about then? Glad I'm not the only person who spotted it.

Also, Yeow, are you still looking for the Titanic Monarch 2 map? I'm guessing the batch posted earlier didn't include it due to the fact it normally doesn't decompress properly with the tool EyeKey made yet. But I've got that right here:
    Titanic Monarch 2
    Titanic Monarch 2 Boss
    And since it wasn't in the link that Frostav posted earlier either, Stardust Speedway 2 Boss

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Nice, thanks for the links.

11. Frostav

Frostav

According the description of a Tails CPZ1 speedrun he behaves different on slopes than the other two which is very strange given that you'd expect all three heroes to be identical. But this game has some WEIRD slope behavior in general with the exploit where you gain tons of speed by hitting down and mashing jump on downward slopes.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Interesting bug I came across today on the XBONE version, as Super Sonic in Hydrocity 1. I was hanging on one of the hooks when a Badnik ran into me, both destroying itself and somehow knocking me off the hook (not at an angle, but straight down), with Sonic remaining in the hanging animation. I fell to the floor, still in the hanging pose, completely unable to move. Had to restart the Act.

I finally got the rest of the gold medals and finished off my Achievements though. Been almost a month and I'm still not tired of this game after 15+ playthroughs.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Something similar has happened to me three times on the Switch version, in Flying Battery Act 2. Always happens when I come into the Wing Fortress-y sections where the wind current is supposed to blow you to the left.

14. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    [​IMG]

Reference confirmed? :v:

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member

I got the same bug in FBZ2 as Knuckles, PS4 version:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVwdPZ7y58

16. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I was just realising this on my way to work this morning. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice it.

17. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I wonder if Knuckles still builds up glide speed in cases like this. Just imagine how fast he'd soar once he got loose.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So... there seems to be another unused 3D model in the game files:

(Source)

Now I want a Sonic Mania DX with alternate Titanic Monarch final boss powered by the Phantom Emerald in Three-Dee. =|

19. Montblanc

Montblanc

First the transitions, then the Egg Reverie unused tiles, now the giant robot... I already tought it was weird they shown it in the ending since it was unused except as a zone location with no transition to explain why are you there...

I wonder if they left it there to be found or the game was very very rushed :/

By the way, is there any way to see the videos from a phone? It shows it as an empty space, even if I load the full version.

20. What Stealth said on his stream was that the Titanic Monarch was created as a 3D model and then converted to the 2D graphics which were then used in the TMZ1 background. It does raise the question of why it's still in the game files, though...